The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage) by…

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage) (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

28,686144432 (4.02)1 / 733
Member:MyUtopia
Title:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage)
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2009), Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:Fiction, read in 2010

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Author) (2005)

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg (taz_)
    taz_: Charm school drop-outs Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen of "Smilla's Sense of Snow" strike me as unconventional soul sisters of the detective mystery. Each haunted by demons of the past, fiercely independent, armored in cynicism and misanthropy, they share a certain psychic landscape and brilliant, icy resourcefulness. If you love one, I predict you'll love the other.… (more)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate, ANeumann)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Ronoc, Ronoc)
    Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: I think Lisbeth and Mallory have a lot in common.
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another kick-ass female heroine
    The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (aliklein)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate)
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (EllieM)
    EllieM: Are you wondering 'what next?' after reading the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I recommend that you try Child of The Hive by Jessica Meats. Both books are plot driven action packed thrillers with a rather unexpected heroine. Like Lisbeth Salander, Child of the Hive's Sophie is a highly intelligent computer geek. Someone you would not necessarily choose as a best friend but you grow fond of her as the story progresses. Stieg Larsson's blockbuster is a more traditional 'whodunnit' and the main plot puzzle is the identity of the murderer. Jessica Meats writes in a slightly a different genre, Child of The Hive is a speculative thriller on the borders of science fiction, and as such it presents different puzzles. For example a moral one, exactly which sub group should I classify as 'the bad guys'? As for guessing the ending, most people will not see where the book is going. I failed. But the surprising nature of the story is much of its fun. With the benefit of hindsight you can see that the climax of 'Child' is tidy and satisfactory. Certainly not one of those annoying thrillers with a plot balanced on one very unlikely clue which has been carefully draped in numerous red herrings. Both books should appeal to a wide range of readers, but I suggest Child of the Hive is also more suitable for a slightly younger group than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is distinctly adult in places. Child of The Hive is a really ‘good read’, I give it 5 stars out of five… (more)
    The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's mentioned in the book and it's another great thriller.
    A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (adithyajones)
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (MyriadBooks, mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Let the Right One In is a Swedish novel about a child vampire who just wants to be a normal kid, the pedophile who is obsessed with her, and the neighbor boy who wants to befriend her.
    The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell (Ronoc)
    Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (birder4106)
    birder4106: Burke (Vacchs) und Salander (Larsson) haben sehr viel gemeinsam.
    The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg (Patangel)
    Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.
    The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook (adithyajones)
    The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard (sweetiegherkin)
    In Lucia's Eyes by Arthur Japin (nanajavid)
    nanajavid: Een schitterend boek.
    So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman (cafepithecus)
    cafepithecus: Another book about men who hate women, and the women who take them down.
    The Likeness by Tana French (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (1,303)  Dutch (33)  Spanish (23)  French (14)  German (14)  Swedish (14)  Italian (11)  Danish (11)  Catalan (10)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,443)
The main character Lisbeth is unique in mystery novels; an oddball that you neither hate nor love, but she's always interesting. I'm onto the second in the series. ( )
  Jeanne.Miller | Nov 12, 2014 |
I got lost in this book. The story captivated me from the get go, then on to the next two books. Lisbeth Salander is one of the most engaging and fascinating characters I've ever read. At her core she is a lost and abused child who grabs your heart and does not let go. Her jagged charm arises from a mixture of vulnerability and merciless aptitude. Lisbeth can hack, code crack and, and when moved to do so, she can mete out virtuous violence. She is a character so engaging I could not stop reading the series or watching the movies in both English and Swedish. What a story. ( )
  mindyshalleck | Oct 29, 2014 |
Another book that could have used a good editing. Works well as a mystery novel but gets far more praise than it deserves. It is a fantastic mystery, actually, and I couldn't put it down. However, I more than once found myself rolling my eyes at the cartoonish characters. Sure, that's a staple of mysteries, but Lisbeth Salander - man alive, is she a walking cliche. She actively annoyed me, and I found her morality not only despicable but logically faulty on more than one occasion (it's been a while since I finished the book, so examples are escaping me, unfortunately - I'll come back and add them if I ever feel compelled to). I just didn't click with her at all, and in parts she just felt like an easy way out of any problem because she was such a "genius". Too much was left in that could have been removed. Overall, the book was just a means of passing the time, and not something I feel compelled to write an essay about. However, it trundles along nicely, and the end was pretty decent. It's much better than its sequel, and I'd give it 3.5 stars - if I could.

PS. Avoid at ALL costs if you're squeamish, easily triggered by sexual violence, or looking for something uplifting. It's not a difficult read, but it is a bit depressing in parts. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
The book is good; I recommend it. The author is clearly talented and put together a solid story and set of characters. But, I'll be giving away my copy and not reading the sequels. There is an overabundance of violence towards women in this story. I am unsettled by the use of extreme violence including torture and rape in all forms media as a plot device. It seems we can accept and are fascinate by the sick psycho rapists of novels and tv but can't accept that many offenders are regular people and don't need to be so sick. There is mention in the book that many of Lisbeth's friends have had sex forced on them by boyfriends, but that's it. Meanwhile, the main male protagonist has women seducing him left and right of all ages. Wow. It's no wonder the author seems to be an academic with specialization in Nazis and other types of hate. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
I've been meaning to read this one for a while, and I was not disappointed. This novel is both character and story driven filled with mystery, intrigue and suspenseful moments. The pace of the story was fast and revealed itself quite beautifully, but I found that perhaps the climax may have occurred to early making for an end that lags on a bit even though it is apparent that another novel is yet to come. In short, a great read and a must for every bookshelf. ( )
  mcmanusdulin | Oct 5, 2014 |
[Richman reviews several Scandinavian novels, including Larsson's.]

Why have readers taken to these writers? The novels are not formally innovative: With a few exceptions, these are straightforward whodunits, hewing closely to conventional models from the English tradition. Nor does their appeal depend on a "relentlessly bleak view of the world," as a writer for the London Times has put it. Bleak worldviews are not particularly hard to come by in crime novels, no matter what country they come from.

What distinguishes these books is not some element of Nordic grimness but their evocation of an almost sublime tranquility. When a crime occurs, it is shocking exactly because it disrupts a world that, at least to an American reader, seems utopian in its peacefulness, happiness, and orderliness.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Nathanial Rich (Jul 8, 2009)

It’s Mr. Larsson’s two protagonists — Carl Mikael Blomkvist, a reporter filling the role of detective, and his sidekick, Lisbeth Salander, a k a the girl with the dragon tattoo — who make this novel more than your run-of-the-mill mystery: they’re both compelling, conflicted, complicated people, idiosyncratic in the extreme, and interesting enough to compensate for the plot mechanics, which seize up as the book nears its unsatisfying conclusion.

The novel offers a thoroughly ugly view of human nature, especially when it comes to the way Swedish men treat Swedish women. In Larsson’s world, sadism, murder and suicide are commonplace — as is lots of casual sex. (Sweden isn’t all bad.)

The first-time author's excitement at his creation is palpable, strangely, in the book's sometimes amateurish construction. There are frequent long digressions in this big book (more than 500 pages) in which he laboriously fills in back-story details. Then there is the Vanger family; what might have seemed like a bit of fun gets out of hand as easily more than 20 people with the surname Vanger are mixed into the story. To his credit, though, he always regains control and restores momentum.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Mar 17, 2008)

At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden's dirty not-so-little secrets, this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, freshly sentenced to jail for libeling a shady businessman, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker.

Larsson, StiegAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuhn, WibkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Det hade blivit en årligen återkommande händelse.
It happened every year, was almost a ritual.
Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who Hate Women"), 2005. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, January 2008.

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Twee tegenpolen, Mikael Blomkvist en Lisbeth Salander. Hij is een charmante man en een kritische journalist van middelbare leeftijd, uitgever van het tijdschrift Millennium. Zij is een jonge, gecompliceerde, uiterst intelligente vrouw met zwartgeverfd haar, piercings en tatoeages, én een uitermate goede hacker. Samen vormen ze een ongewoon, maar sterk team.

Mikael wordt benaderd door oud-zakenman Henrik Vanger. Veertig jaar geleden is de zestienjarige Harriët Vanger op mysterieuze wijze verdwenen en vermoedelijk vermoord. De zaak is echter nooit opgelost en inmiddels verjaard. Toch wil Henrik Vanger graag dat Mikael zich hier nog eens op stort."

Journalist solves type
Of locked-room murder with help
Of the tattooed girl.
(passion4reading)
Author's premature
Death, good PR spark massive
Sales phenomenon.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307454541, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:48 -0400)

The disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, gnaws at her octogenarian uncle, Henrik Vanger. He is determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder. He hires crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist, recently at the wrong end of a libel case, to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance. Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old, pierced, tattooed genius hacker, possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness--assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, an astonishing corruption at the highest echelon of Swedish industrialism--and a surprising connection between themselves--From publisher description.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,928,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible