The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage) by…

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage) (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

29,509145831 (4.02)1 / 754
Member:MyUtopia
Title:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage)
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2009), Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:Fiction, read in 2010

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Author) (2005)

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (taz_)
    taz_: Charm school drop-outs Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen of "Smilla's Sense of Snow" strike me as unconventional soul sisters of the detective mystery. Each haunted by demons of the past, fiercely independent, armored in cynicism and misanthropy, they share a certain psychic landscape and brilliant, icy resourcefulness. If you love one, I predict you'll love the other.… (more)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate, ANeumann)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Ronoc, Ronoc)
    Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: I think Lisbeth and Mallory have a lot in common.
    The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (aliklein)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another kick-ass female heroine
    The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's mentioned in the book and it's another great thriller.
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate)
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (EllieM)
    EllieM: Are you wondering 'what next?' after reading the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I recommend that you try Child of The Hive by Jessica Meats. Both books are plot driven action packed thrillers with a rather unexpected heroine. Like Lisbeth Salander, Child of the Hive's Sophie is a highly intelligent computer geek. Someone you would not necessarily choose as a best friend but you grow fond of her as the story progresses. Stieg Larsson's blockbuster is a more traditional 'whodunnit' and the main plot puzzle is the identity of the murderer. Jessica Meats writes in a slightly a different genre, Child of The Hive is a speculative thriller on the borders of science fiction, and as such it presents different puzzles. For example a moral one, exactly which sub group should I classify as 'the bad guys'? As for guessing the ending, most people will not see where the book is going. I failed. But the surprising nature of the story is much of its fun. With the benefit of hindsight you can see that the climax of 'Child' is tidy and satisfactory. Certainly not one of those annoying thrillers with a plot balanced on one very unlikely clue which has been carefully draped in numerous red herrings. Both books should appeal to a wide range of readers, but I suggest Child of the Hive is also more suitable for a slightly younger group than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is distinctly adult in places. Child of The Hive is a really ‘good read’, I give it 5 stars out of five… (more)
    A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (adithyajones)
    Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (birder4106)
    birder4106: Burke (Vacchs) und Salander (Larsson) haben sehr viel gemeinsam.
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (MyriadBooks, mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Let the Right One In is a Swedish novel about a child vampire who just wants to be a normal kid, the pedophile who is obsessed with her, and the neighbor boy who wants to befriend her.
    Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.
    The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg (Patangel)
    The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell (Ronoc)
    In Lucia's Eyes by Arthur Japin (nanajavid)
    nanajavid: Een schitterend boek.
    The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard (sweetiegherkin)
    The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook (adithyajones)
    California Girl by T. Jefferson Parker (adithyajones)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (5hrdrive)

English (1,317)  Dutch (33)  Spanish (24)  French (14)  German (14)  Swedish (14)  Italian (11)  Danish (11)  Catalan (10)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,458)
I got this book over a year ago and attempted to read it when I first got it but the first chapter was painfully boring for me and it was shelved (not something I like to do, once I start a book I commit to it but this was an exception at the time). I picked up again, pushed myself through the first chapter and continued on, I'm glad I did. I didn't have high expectations or any idea really what the book was about other than it was inspired by the author witnessing a rape and regretting not doing anything, something very sensitive and can be a uncomfortable read. The story had several plots going on and overall to be very separate from each other until midway through the book. The drama with the magazine and Mikael is mild and appears randomly through out the main plot, which made it confusing at times keeping track of which characters were part of what story line. The Vagners especially were hard to keep track of as long as their back stories, who were their parents, their children, schools, who was there and so on. I know there are two more books in the series and I intend to read them, but I wished there was more back story to Salander, not everything of course, but something (especially since in the movie they mentioned something that I don't recall reading & after looking into it, it wasn't in the book). Overall this was a good read and I am glad I gave it another try. I look forward to reading the other books. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
I was being generous giving this book 2 stars. Perhaps 200 pages of the 590 were interesting and suspensful. The whole financial mafia subplot was incredibly boring. I have no desire to continue reading the other 2 books in the trilogy. ( )
  Shannon29 | Jun 25, 2015 |
Now this is a book that I can say that I really enjoyed. The first few chapters weren't exactly too engaging, and I was wondering where the girl with the dragon tattoo even was. But as the story progressed, I grew to like the two main characters even more. I got so wrapped up in the mystery of the novel, and only had to force myself to put the book down when it was getting way too late.

I think that the characters here are really well developed. Both Bloomkvist and Salandar have their own individual strengths and weaknesses that work well to contrast with one another. Plus, there's enough information given to the reader to help them figure things out that not even the characters know about themselves. Most of the dialogue is well written; nothing seems too forced.

The plot, likewise, has a very good pace. There are certain layers to the plot, and the deeper you go, the more information you get about it. By the end of the novel, all of the loose ends are tied up, and the reader is reminded of why they went on this journey in the first place. Stieg Larsson knows how to steer the reader in the right direction without having to hold their hand.

Overall, and excellent book. I would highly recommend to people who like mysteries or thrillers. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Edit : Marzo , 2014

Estoy mirando atraaaas ....

Veo ahora que las cinco estrellas no son tanto por la trama (que si bien la investigación es muy entretenida e impredecible , sus resultados son bastante obvios ) , sino por la excelencia y el crudo realismo de Lisbeth Salander . Es tan imperfecta y valiente que resulta siendo , sin duda , uno de los mejores personajes femeninos de la ficción . Es imposible no enamorarse de ella .

Enero , 2012
Me encantó .
(Aunque las relaciones sexuales de Michael con toooooodas las mujeres del libro estaban de más . A la cuarta ya me resultaban irritantes ) ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
[Richman reviews several Scandinavian novels, including Larsson's.]

Why have readers taken to these writers? The novels are not formally innovative: With a few exceptions, these are straightforward whodunits, hewing closely to conventional models from the English tradition. Nor does their appeal depend on a "relentlessly bleak view of the world," as a writer for the London Times has put it. Bleak worldviews are not particularly hard to come by in crime novels, no matter what country they come from.

What distinguishes these books is not some element of Nordic grimness but their evocation of an almost sublime tranquility. When a crime occurs, it is shocking exactly because it disrupts a world that, at least to an American reader, seems utopian in its peacefulness, happiness, and orderliness.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Nathanial Rich (Jul 8, 2009)

It’s Mr. Larsson’s two protagonists — Carl Mikael Blomkvist, a reporter filling the role of detective, and his sidekick, Lisbeth Salander, a k a the girl with the dragon tattoo — who make this novel more than your run-of-the-mill mystery: they’re both compelling, conflicted, complicated people, idiosyncratic in the extreme, and interesting enough to compensate for the plot mechanics, which seize up as the book nears its unsatisfying conclusion.

The novel offers a thoroughly ugly view of human nature, especially when it comes to the way Swedish men treat Swedish women. In Larsson’s world, sadism, murder and suicide are commonplace — as is lots of casual sex. (Sweden isn’t all bad.)

The first-time author's excitement at his creation is palpable, strangely, in the book's sometimes amateurish construction. There are frequent long digressions in this big book (more than 500 pages) in which he laboriously fills in back-story details. Then there is the Vanger family; what might have seemed like a bit of fun gets out of hand as easily more than 20 people with the surname Vanger are mixed into the story. To his credit, though, he always regains control and restores momentum.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Mar 17, 2008)

At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden's dirty not-so-little secrets, this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, freshly sentenced to jail for libeling a shady businessman, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker.

Larsson, StiegAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgetti Cima, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keeland, RegTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuhn, WibkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Det hade blivit en årligen återkommande händelse.
It happened every year, was almost a ritual.
Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who Hate Women"), 2005. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, January 2008.

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Twee tegenpolen, Mikael Blomkvist en Lisbeth Salander. Hij is een charmante man en een kritische journalist van middelbare leeftijd, uitgever van het tijdschrift Millennium. Zij is een jonge, gecompliceerde, uiterst intelligente vrouw met zwartgeverfd haar, piercings en tatoeages, én een uitermate goede hacker. Samen vormen ze een ongewoon, maar sterk team.

Mikael wordt benaderd door oud-zakenman Henrik Vanger. Veertig jaar geleden is de zestienjarige Harriët Vanger op mysterieuze wijze verdwenen en vermoedelijk vermoord. De zaak is echter nooit opgelost en inmiddels verjaard. Toch wil Henrik Vanger graag dat Mikael zich hier nog eens op stort."

Journalist solves type
Of locked-room murder with help
Of the tattooed girl.
(passion4reading)
Author's premature
Death, good PR spark massive
Sales phenomenon.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307454541, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:48 -0400)

The disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, gnaws at her octogenarian uncle, Henrik Vanger. He is determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder. He hires crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist, recently at the wrong end of a libel case, to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance. Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old, pierced, tattooed genius hacker, possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness--assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, an astonishing corruption at the highest echelon of Swedish industrialism--and a surprising connection between themselves--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,861,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible