Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Cat's Lair by Christine Feehan

Cat's Lair (2015)

by Christine Feehan

I feel a bit conflicted with this book. I thought the basic plot was interesting. Girl is left an abusive relationship and is hiding out in Texas, working in a coffee shop. I liked that we got a bit of plot before we jumped right into the sex part of the book.

I didn't like how dominate Eli was. Explaining several times how he was an Alpha male and needed to have things done his way, no questions asked. What happened to the feeling of partnership that was present in some of the earlier books? I tried to be ok with that. Some people like to be the submissive during sex, but it feels like Cat wasn't really given much choice in the matter. The scenes where he was making her do oral sex on him come to mind. They felt very twisted and yucky. (As I am typing this, I feel compelled to change my review from 3 to 2 stars)

I have another Leopard people book on hold at the library, so I will go and pick it up and hope I enjoy it more than this one, because I really want to like this series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
It took me a couple weeks to get through this. I wasn't into the dominating sex, the alpha male, young female abused into submission thing. Yes, the abuse happened by someone else and she was showing signs of rebellion, but going from one to another dominate male, really isn't going to get you a lot of growth. No matter how happy he wants to make you. I may have done a little toooo much skimming to get to the end. Just to get to the end. I like her Games series, but they also get a little heavy on the "alpha male" thing. sigh where's a girl to get good paranormal? ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
In the world of vampires and shape shifters, Ridley Cromer is a standalone. He is ruthless in bringing down criminals and magnificent in the world of the cat. For he is a leopard shifter, who uses his gifts for good and is rare among his kind. Cat Benoit is a woman on the run and a kitten in hiding. She is a goddess of coffee and a persistent student of self-defense. Little does she know, she has caught the attention of Ridley Cromer. In her, he senses something familiar and unexpected. Cat sees potential in Ridley, but is afraid the past will catch up to her. Rather than playing with fire, Cat makes a break for it and runs. Ridley pursues Cat and the passion that occurs between them takes the reader on one hell of a ride.

I honestly enjoyed this book. I have not read a novel by this author in a very long time. I usually struggle with her other series and decided to hold off on her other books, but for some reason I felt compelled to pick this one up. I am happy that I did and I was not disappointed. I will admit a good amount of this story has a lot of love making scenes, but who cares?! I needed a break from the heavy reading and this put a little spark back into the bedroom for me.  Sometimes readers need a book that is totally irrelevant to their current situation, so it will distract them from the stressors in their life. In no way shape or form did I find the characters out of place or too dominating. The male character is a cat shape shifter, so logically he would have the personality that the author gave him. For those that are giving it a harsh review and not reading the entire book, please remember that you need to read the whole story to get the picture. A reader can’t judge a book by 15 pages  I recommend this book for those that are looking for something new to read and don’t mind sex scenes. It is a fresh of breath air from the everyday ho hum of life. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Aug 4, 2015 |
Cat’s Lair

The Characters

Catarina “Cat” Benoit
Eli Perez a.k.a. Ridley Cromer

The Story

The storyline was good. However it was overshadowed by constant repetitiveness and endless sex. Seriously if either of the characters went off in reflection about how much they love their mate again or if Cat brought up her lack of education one more time I would have screamed and possibly thrown things. Yes, I’m complaining about sex in this book. (I can’t believe it either.) It went on forever and really just stopped the story from moving on. The getting to know you, switch and climax of the book was great but I just wanted the author to get us there.

So now after 2 months of trudging through I can only leave with an “it was okay”. SN: I feel like I’ve been saying this about of lot of Feehan books lately. I’m not sure if she is changing as a writer or if I am changing as a reader but I’m enjoying her stories less and less. And it kills me because A) I am a fan. I was immediately drawn to her work after discovery. B) I know the general ideas are good. I do truly like the plots of the stories however the slow moving execution that is putting me off.

The Random Thoughts

2 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 28, 2015 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Vivacious Valkyrie - Marta:
*Copy gifted in exchange for an honest review

A welcome return by this author to her world peopled by Leopard shifters. In this book we meet Catarina, who was sold by her own mother to Rafe a deadly criminal who kept her imprisoned and isolated. Catarina saw him commit heinous crimes and has finally managed to escape, but realizes that Rafe will be looking for her as he's not a man who likes to look a fool. Cat has made a new life for herself working as a barrister, but always looking over her shoulder and never feeling truly safe.

Cat takes self defense classes at the local Dojo in an effort to survive her possible recapture and that's where she first sees Ridley. Gorgeous, protective and quite sweet, but is he all he seems? The friendship they share is important to the lonely Cat but she's not the only one with secrets and her past is about to come running full tilt back into her life! Has she been betrayed? If so, just who or what is Ridley?

This is one of my favorite series by this author as she just keeps it fresh and moving forward. We have been treated to hot steamy jungle tales and even transported to the Bayou but this time it's back to Texas for action and lots of passion. Fans of this series will remember Burning Wild, which featured Jake Bannaconni and delight in catching up with him and his family. I feel this is a similar style to that book as it's seriously a scorching read with lots of those descriptive scenes that border on erotica so maybe not for everyone. The hero is beyond possessive and quite tyrannical at times if honest, but our heroine Cat has claws of her own and just might know how to use them!

This is vintage Ms Feehan with over the top characters and lots and lots of scenes involving a dominating and very controlling male lead. The relationship the couple develops is intense and would stifle many, but these are possessve violent cats prove to be irresistible. Sexy, violent and above all engrossing, a great read for open-minded paranormal lovers. ( )
  LITERAL_ADDICTION | May 5, 2015 |
For my Amanda Martin, with love
CATARINA Benoit woke to screams.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 051515556X, Mass Market Paperback)

The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Leopard’s Prey returns to the feral underworld of her astonishing Leopard novels in an arousing new romance of forbidden animal instincts…

Cat Benoit has finally escaped the past—and the man who was the source of her nightmares. She’s off the grid, underground but watchful, and creating a new life for herself in Texas, far from the torrid dangers of her native New Orleans. She’s safe. He’ll never find her this time. Cat has to believe that. It’s the only thing keeping her sane.

Yet she can’t escape the attention of Ridley Cromer, the instructor at the martial arts dojo where Cat takes lessons. She arouses the animal in Ridley—and something feral comes to life when their body heat rises. Cat is in no position to let her guard down with anyone, especially someone who could be endangered by her past. But Ridley has secrets of his own—secrets only Cat would understand. If she dares to trust him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:03 -0400)

"Cat Benoit has finally escaped the past- and the man who was the sources of her nightmares. She's off the grid, underground but watchful, and creating a new life for herself in Texas, far from the dangers of her native New Orleans. She's safe. He'll never find her this time. Cat has to believe that. It's the only thing keeping her sane. Yet she can't escape the attention of Ridley Cromer, the instructor at the martial arts dojo where Cat takes lessons. She arouses the animal in Ridley- and something feral comes to life when their body heat rises. Cat is in no position to let her guard down with anyone, especially someone who could be endangered by her past. But Ridley has secrets of his own- secrets only Cat would understand. If she dares trust him."-- back cover… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible