Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic…

Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic Project (edition 2007)

by Spencer Wells

Collections:Genealogy
Rating:***
Tags:DNA, genetics, familyhistory

Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project by Spencer Wells

A few points need updating since this was written in 2006, but it provides an excellent, non-technical overview of mtDNA and YDNA and how it has been distributed over time. ( )
  gailw | Oct 24, 2014 |
A good introduction to deep ancestry but the haplogroup information is now somewhat dated. ( )
  DebbieKennett | Dec 9, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once again I must redo a review because it turned up missing. This was a rather complicated book to review since the science is very technical to a point, however it does give you a very deep and interesting veiw of our selves.
  KeithFowler | Jun 8, 2010 |
A great layperson's view of the incredible genome project undertaken by Nat Geo and an incredibly talented group of scientists. I've seen Spencer Wells in person, and i think the only thing he does better than lecture is write. He makes a fabulously complicated scientific discipline fascinating, readable, and truly exciting.

It's a story of science, but Wells makes it a story of individuals and families, giving it a layperson scale. It's such a great reminder that we are all family. ( )
  Oreillynsf | May 23, 2010 |
To Kim McKay,
for asking the right question
Introduction

On June 26, 2000, two geneticists stood with President Bill Clinton in the East Room of the White House. It was the end of a long journey for these two scientists as well as a public show of unity after a hard-fought battle to stake claim on the first complete sequence of the human genome—the 2.85 billion units that make up our genes. Francis Collins, a physician and a devout Christian, had led the publicly funded Human Genome Project. Craig Venter, taking his cues from Silicon Valley and the tech boom of the 1990s, had formed a private company to claim the same prize. Their rivalry would accelerate the pace of work to such an extent that the date of completion arrived a year earlier than expected. It was a great day to be a scientist, and I remember watching the event broadcast over the Internet from my laboratory in Oxford, hanging on every word.
The Block

Imagine yourself in outer space, somewhere near the moon. The Earth appears to be a blue orb floating in darkness. There are no other planets nearby—it is alone in the darkness. You begin to zoom toward it, and the lush green of the land becomes apparent. Gradually you start to make out continents—Asia, Africa, the Americas. You focus on North America, precariously connected by a narrow land bridge to South America. Zooming closer, yoiu narrow your destination to the eastern seaboard of the United States, then closer still, rushing toward New York City. Its web of streets, railways, and bridges comes into focus, and you can make out the five boroughs that are home to more than eight million people.

Science tells us we're all related—one vast family sharing a common ancestor who lived in Africa 60,000 years ago. But countless questions remain about our great journey from the birthplace of Homo sapiens to the ends of the Earth. How did we end up where we are? When did we get there? Why do we display such a wide range of colors and features? The fossil record offers some answers, but exciting new genetic research reveals many more, since our DNA carries a complete chronicle of our species and its migrations.

In Deep Ancestry, scientist and explorer Spencer Wells shows how tiny genetic changes add up over time into a fascinating story. Using scores of real-life examples, helpful analogies, and detailed diagrams and illustrations, he translates complicated concepts into accessible language and explains exactly how each and every individual's DNA contributes another piece to the jigsaw puzzle of human history. The book takes readers inside the Genographic Project, the landmark study now assembling the world's largest collection of population genetic DNA samples and employing the latest in testing technology and computer analysis to examine hundreds of thousands of genetic profiles from all over the globe.

Traveling backward through time from today's scattered billions to the handful of early humans who are ancestors to us all, Deep Ancestry shows how universal our human heritage really is. It combines sophisticated science with our compelling interest in family history and ethnic identity—and transcends humankind's shallow distinctions and superficial differences to touch the depths of our common origins.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:56 -0400)

A scientist and explorer describes his ambitious genetic research project to map the ancient roots and mystery of human origins, explaining how an individual's DNA can provide a key piece to the puzzle of human history.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project by Spencer Wells was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible