Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic…

Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic Project (edition 2007)

by Spencer Wells

Collections:Genealogy
Rating:***
Tags:DNA, genetics, familyhistory

Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project by Spencer Wells

A good introduction to deep ancestry but the haplogroup information is now somewhat dated. ( )
  DebbieKennett | Dec 9, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once again I must redo a review because it turned up missing. This was a rather complicated book to review since the science is very technical to a point, however it does give you a very deep and interesting veiw of our selves.
  KeithFowler | Jun 8, 2010 |
A great layperson's view of the incredible genome project undertaken by Nat Geo and an incredibly talented group of scientists. I've seen Spencer Wells in person, and i think the only thing he does better than lecture is write. He makes a fabulously complicated scientific discipline fascinating, readable, and truly exciting.

It's a story of science, but Wells makes it a story of individuals and families, giving it a layperson scale. It's such a great reminder that we are all family. ( )
  Oreillynsf | May 23, 2010 |
"Deep Ancestry" is a good introduction to the field of using DNA analysis to determine patterns of human migration over tens of thousands of years. I now have a far better understanding of the difference between Y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA, and the way in which variations within each of the type of DNA can be analysed to obtain a hierarchy or timeline. The stories of some of the participants in the Genographic Project provide helpful illustrations of the knowledge that can be obtained. Some of the technical details have been oversimplified, and I had trouble finding the answers to some of my nagging questions for detail. Some were answered by a closer re-read of the book, others by searching the web, others by asking colleagues working in the area, but there are still a few unanswered! ( )
  rodneyvc | Jan 25, 2010 |

Science tells us we're all related—one vast family sharing a common ancestor who lived in Africa 60,000 years ago. But countless questions remain about our great journey from the birthplace of Homo sapiens to the ends of the Earth. How did we end up where we are? When did we get there? Why do we display such a wide range of colors and features? The fossil record offers some answers, but exciting new genetic research reveals many more, since our DNA carries a complete chronicle of our species and its migrations.

In Deep Ancestry, scientist and explorer Spencer Wells shows how tiny genetic changes add up over time into a fascinating story. Using scores of real-life examples, helpful analogies, and detailed diagrams and illustrations, he translates complicated concepts into accessible language and explains exactly how each and every individual's DNA contributes another piece to the jigsaw puzzle of human history. The book takes readers inside the Genographic Project, the landmark study now assembling the world's largest collection of population genetic DNA samples and employing the latest in testing technology and computer analysis to examine hundreds of thousands of genetic profiles from all over the globe.

Traveling backward through time from today's scattered billions to the handful of early humans who are ancestors to us all, Deep Ancestry shows how universal our human heritage really is. It combines sophisticated science with our compelling interest in family history and ethnic identity—and transcends humankind's shallow distinctions and superficial differences to touch the depths of our common origins.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:56 -0400)

A scientist and explorer describes his ambitious genetic research project to map the ancient roots and mystery of human origins, explaining how an individual's DNA can provide a key piece to the puzzle of human history.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project by Spencer Wells was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible