I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for…

I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World… (2016)

by Malala Yousafzai, Patricia McCormick

English (47)  Japanese (1)  All languages (48)
Malala Yousafzai is a girl from Pakistan fighting for women's rights to go to school. She and her father start being targeted by a group called “Taliban” which goes against what she’s saying. During the beginning, the men and the women were separated, men talk about politics, and women talk about their daily lives. Her dad shut down the girls’ school, but one of the teachers opened up a secret school. THey would learn all their classes, and be instructed by one teacher, Madam Maryam. Madam Maryam could’ve been killed for starting this private school, the girls’ weren’t supposed to go to school because there had been bombings. One day unexpectedly, Malala had been shot by the Taliban through her face, and through a couple other girls. She had been sent to 3 hospitals until she was sent to Birmingham. After 16 days in the hospital , her family permanently moved to Birmingham for a better life and education.
I believe this book is so inspiring, and exciting. This can inspire people, especially women, to speak up for what’s equal and fair. Malala, in my eyes, is a role model for all of us. She should have way more recognition for her brave actions. The book has great detail and a scary storyline. I recommend this book for everyone because everyone needs to know that it takes one person to make a change. Overall, this is a great book. ( )
  MaddisonB.B4 | May 29, 2019 |
I Am Malala is a powerful book told by a powerful young woman. I found the descriptions that she gave of the world around her really brought you into the story, the emotions she felt you could feel them yourself. One thing that did not connect with me as strongly as it may for others is that I did not like the time jumps or at least how they were played out. It made the book feel choppy which took away some of its power. ( )
  lharri41 | Apr 25, 2019 |
"I am Malala" was a real favorite for me. Although, I am not from Pakistan, I could feel Malala's passion and really rooted for her throughout the duration of the novel, as a fellow woman. I imagined my life in her shoes and how incredibly frustrating it would be to live in a world where I am destined to be a housewife and to hide my face and my mind from the world. Thanks to Malala's true life story, I am much more grateful for my rights to education and her sacrifice to making the world women live in, much more worthwhile. This novel is developmentally appropriate for grades 4 and above due to the intense scenes and violence. ( )
  Eward8 | Apr 25, 2019 |
I really liked reading "I am Malala". It is about a young Pakistani girl, named Malala, who, along with her father, stands up to the Taliban when they try to stop girls from attending school. Despite threats, Malala and her father continue to campaign for girls to have the right to an education. The Taliban try to silence her, and eventually, they shoot her in the head on the bus on her way home for school. However, Malala survived and her message was heard across the world. While reading this book, I often forgot just how young Malala was when she went through all of this. It is an inspirational true story, and sends a message to young girls everywhere: don't be afraid to fight for what you believe in and girls have just as much of a right to an education as anyone else. This is a good book for middle school. ( )
  cjusti5 | Apr 24, 2019 |
This is great book. Could be great for a unit. ( )
  dbailey25 | Feb 24, 2019 |
(Review of British edition, "Malala: the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Changed the World.") Firstly, I would like to start off by saying that this was the most inspiring autobiography I have ever read. ... The book starts off by talking about Malala's childhood and how everything was normal and how happy her life was until the Taliban showed up. ... I would recommend anyone to read this book because it really opened my eyes and made me more aware of what atrocities were happening in the outside world. ... I would give it five stars out of five because it was just amazing, fascinating and extremely interesting.
added by CourtyardSchool | editGuardian, Ayesha (Oct 8, 2014)

(Review of British edition, "Malala: the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Changed the World.") ... Written together with Patricia McCormick, an American journalist and two-time National Book Award finalist, the book is a young readers' edition of the autobiography released in October 2013. ... The juxtaposition of issues such as terrorism and the political turmoil in her country with prosaic concerns such as not being tall enough does not let the reader forget that this is, essentially, the story of a young girl. ... Ms Yousafzai's father not only comes across as a mentor to his daughter, but also the guardian angel who asserted that his daughter "will live as free as a bird" to anyone who thought her rude or bold because of her outspoken nature. ... In the story of the girl who took a bullet for the cause of the insatiable desire to know more, we have a lesson on how noble ideas cannot ever be silenced.

... There were a lot of things I didn't know about Malala before I read this book. ... This book gave me so much more insight into the life of a girl I thought I knew. It's a powerful read and might inspire some activism after the final pages. It certainly did for me. I can highly recommend reading this book. While it is considered the Young Readers Edition of Malala's original memoir, I don't think it lost anything in the retelling. It is gripping and occasionally hard to read, given the violent subject matter, but it is told in a voice that is easy for young people to latch on to. ... This book does an excellent job presenting Malala as a person --- as a teenage girl --- and not necessarily as the heroic figure we see on TV. ...

(Starred review.) Adapted... from the adult bestseller, this inspiring memoir by activist Yousafzai sketches her brave actions to champion education in Pakistan under the Taliban. ... Yousafzai highlights the escalating tensions as the Taliban takes hold — including the strictures against girls attending school, the obliteration of Western influence, violence, and the eventual war — but also brings the universal to life as she quarrels with her brothers, treasures her best friend, and strives to earn top grades. A glossary, color photo inserts, and an extensive timeline help establish context. It's a searing and personal portrait of a young woman who dared to make a difference. Ages 10–up.
added by CourtyardSchool | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 25, 2014)

Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teen shot for her activism for girls’ education, tells her story for a middle-grade audience. Although billed as a “young readers edition” of Yousafzai’s 2013 book of the same name for adults, ...this is no simple redaction... [instead,] the account has been effectively rewritten specifically for children. ... Yousafzai’s voice is appealingly youthful, though it often tells rather than shows and frequently goes over the top: In her school, she writes, “we flew on wings of knowledge.” Still, young Western readers will come to understand the gulf that separates them from Yousafzai through carefully chosen anecdotes, helping them see what drives her to such lyrical extremes. Unfortunately, much is lost in the translation from the adult book, presumably sacrificed for brevity and directness; most lamentable is social and political context. ... supplemented by contextualizing information, it [the book] should pack quite a wallop. (glossary) (Memoir. 10-14)
added by CourtyardSchool | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 19, 2014)

Yousafzai, Malalaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, Patriciamain authorall editionsconfirmed
When I close my eyes, I can see my bedroom.
For a description of how this 2014 "Young Readers Edition" differs from the 2013 "I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban," co-written by Christina Lamb for adults, please see "'This Is Malala': PW Talks with Malala Yousafzai | By Sarah J. Robbins | Aug 27, 2014" at http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by... For example, "critical days after the attack are handled much differently than they are in the adult version," and there was "scaling back some of the historical and geopolitical writing and steering away from her parents’ backstories."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031632793X, Hardcover)

I Am Malala. This is my story.

No one expected her to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:37 -0400)

"I Am Malala. This is my story. Malala Yousafzai was only ten years old when the Taliban took control of her region. They said music was a crime. They said women weren't allowed to go to the market. They said girls couldn't go to school. Raised in a once-peaceful area of Pakistan transformed by terrorism, Malala was taught to stand up for what she believes. So she fought for her right to be educated. And on October 9, 2012, she nearly lost her life for the cause: She was shot point-blank while riding the bus on her way home from school. No one expected her to survive. Now Malala is an international symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest ever Nobel Peace Prize nominee. In this Young Readers Edition of her bestselling memoir, which includes exclusive photos and material, we hear firsthand the remarkable story of a girl who knew from a young age that she wanted to change the world -- and did. Malala's powerful story will open your eyes to another world and will make you believe in hope, truth, miracles and the possibility that one person -- one young person -- can inspire change in her community and beyond. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible