The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by…

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (2014)

by Becky Chambers

Series: Wayfarers (1)

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord (debbiereads)
    Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (rarm)

English (66)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All (68)
A

Great world-building in this book. The author has unusual, non-humanoid aliens as characters. ( )
  fierce_bunny | Oct 3, 2017 |
The book was ok, the ideas mainly revolved around specism/racism. The characters made odd leaps and changes in development throughout the book. I felt this book was missing something. ( )
  Rene.Rina | Sep 29, 2017 |
3.5 stars

Endearing characters, intricate world, insightful dialogue. No drama. No angst. Just a hearty, charming story about a hodgepodge of people on a ship doing their job.

Some Things About The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet:
1) There's kind of no plot to this book...? There's obviously some end goal which anchors the story and sets its events in motion, but aside from that, The Long Way is just a book about some cool people going about their lives - and I didn't mind that one bit. I know it might sound underwhelming, but it really wasn't. The characters are so refreshingly level-headed and fleshed out (I cannot stress this enough!!), I didn't really care what they were doing so long as I got to read their wonderful conversations.
2) FANTASTIC CHARACTERS GALORE. I didn't know what to expect going into this book, but I ended up being so impressed with the way its characters were crafted, especially the female ones. They are competent, they are smart, they are people in their own right - all while being vulnerable, insecure, worried. It didn't feel like these female characters needed to be "kickass" to prove their worth or compensate for something*. Chambers went into the book with the intention of creating people who just happened to be female, not some unfeeling killing machines. Needless to say, the male characters were fantastic as well. I just loved everybody and I wanted to hug them all.
3) Otherworldly world-building (I don't even regret the stupid pun) Chambers not only creates a world that is as fascinating as it is complex, but also uses that world, filled as it is with non-human species and galactic technology, to present insights that still apply to the present day. With the plethora of different species that she's integrated into the book, she gives a voice to outsiders' perspectives on humans, some of which were sobering, and some of which made me chuckle. It's nice to get a reality check on being a human every once in a while.

My only critique about The Long Way is that I wish Rosemary had been better developed as a character. There are a lot of characters in this book, all of whom have distinct personalities and mannerisms and quirks, qualities which, to me, Rosemary was somewhat lacking. Her scenes were still enjoyable and well-written, but I don't feel like I really had a sense of the core of her personality or character.

Conclusion: The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet has a big heart, which is, I think, its greatest asset. It's not afraid to set foot in uncharted territory, literally and figuratively, and sets its sights on what matters most in every novel: the characters.

*A lot of the times I feel like female protagonists are portrayed as strong and capable in battle to show how independent and competent they are. This is all well and good, but those characters often have no personality and end up being reduced to those very qualities, like somehow because they're "kickass" they don't need to be people with y'know...other emotions. This book, though, totally smashed that stupid trope. ( )
1 vote fatmashahin | Sep 23, 2017 |
A Long Way to a Small, Angry, Planet -Chambers
Audio performance by Rachel Dulude
4 stars

This was so much fun! It reminded me of the best of Star Trek. The adventure and the danger isn’t as important as the friendships and camaraderie of the crew. Each crew member has a rich backstory relative to their own species, planet of origin, culture, and family history. It’s quite a mix-up, but they make it work. They make it work because Becky Chambers created a group of wildly different, sentient characters who can live together respectfully. Rachel Dulude did a great job voicing such diverse characters. I look forward to more of the series. ( )
  msjudy | Sep 4, 2017 |
I read this book for the tag "space opera". I think it fits that category really well. The story is about a mixture of beings, human and otherwise, on a space ship called the Wayfarer. The Wayfarer is a tunneler of worm holes. The story is filled with adventure and mishaps and it is more about relationships than about wormholes.

The author is the daughter of an astrobiology educator, an aerospace engineer and an Apollo-era rocket scientist. This book is her debut novel and she funded it with Kickstarter campaign.

It was shortlisted for the 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award, and nominated for the British Fantasy Awards' 2016 "Sydney James Bounds Award for Best Newcomer". It was the first self-published novel to be shortlisted for the Kitschies Golden Tentacle for Best Debut Novel.

The story lacks in tension, not much happens until the very last few pages and even that isn't too nail biting in any way.

The strength is its relationships between characters and world building.

Rating 3.07 ( )
  Kristelh | Aug 19, 2017 |

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doll, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulude, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the ground, we stand;
From our ships, we live;
By the stars, we hope.

- Exodan Proverb
For my family, hatch and feather
As she woke up in the pod, she remembered three things.

Somewhere within our
crowded sky, a crew of wormhole builders hops from planet to planet, on
their way to the job of a lifetime. To the galaxy at large, humanity is a
minor species, and one patched-up construction vessel is a mere speck
on the starchart. This is an everyday sort of ship, just trying to get
from here to there.

But all voyages leave their mark, and even
the most ordinary of people have stories worth telling. A young Martian
woman, hoping the vastness of space will put some distance between
herself and the life she‘s left behind. An alien pilot, navigating life
without her own kind. A pacifist captain, awaiting the return of a loved
one at war.

Set against a backdrop of curious cultures and
distant worlds, this episodic tale weaves together the adventures of
nine eclectic characters, each on a journey of their own.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,528,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible