The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet:…

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: Wayfarers 1 (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Becky Chambers (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: Wayfarers 1
Authors:Becky Chambers (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2015), Edition: First Edition, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (2014)

Recently added byalcottacre777, rena75, private library, monadz, Sarah_Klein, chilled, alljson, Daniel_Bach, TaliaFranks
    Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    Sargasso of Space by Andre Norton (amanda4242)
    Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell (WabbitSeason)
    WabbitSeason: Both are gentle, optimistic, character-driven space opera's
    The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord (debbiereads)
    Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (rarm)

English (109)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (111)
A little too much furniture in the SF world-building, and little of it grounded in a real-world struggle. I liked the Futurama-like comedic moments, but ultimately many fruitful avenues for a story just start without going anywhere. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Jan 21, 2019 |
basically fanfic'. which in origin it was. the characters were okay, but headed nowhere, since nothing actually happened. there was no pacing, because there was nowhere to go. there wasn't even any climax (saved for next book, presumably). and there was an odd kind of pollyanna feel to it all, everyone full of such positive thoughts, like that was the whole point of the exercise. and not a single interesting idea to back it up. i can't say i've ever read a space opera like it, and i hope publishing isn't trending in that direction, or we've all got as readers some lean times ahead. normally 3 is my score for "it's competent, so far as it goes (not far), but remind me never to read another one of those", which is certainly where i'm at with this one. ( )
1 vote macha | Jan 9, 2019 |
Great cast of characters, aliens and humans and AIs alike. I loved how their cultures and their story arcs were individually developed throughout the story. Some of the romances between them were a bit underdeveloped, but I'm not surprised given the many, many POVs the author squeezed in. Overall, an enjoyable read. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
These are the voyages of the tunnel ship 'Wayfarer'', its two-year mission to open up a new trade route to new life and a new civilisation.

I enjoyed exploring this universe where humans are a very junior member of the Galactic Commons, although the central part of the story was very episodic to the point where I at least lost sight of the overall story arc and was just watching the aliens of the week interacting with the crew in a friendly or hostile manner or the crew interacting with each other. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series, to see what other adventures they have. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Dec 19, 2018 |
This was excellent for several reasons: the multiple types of prejudice and small-mindedness the crew address, the fresh and humbling approach to humanity's future, the endearing fullness of the characters, the pleasant honesty of the dialogue... There's a lot to appreciate. Highly recommended. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doll, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulude, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the ground, we stand;
From our ships, we live;
By the stars, we hope.

- Exodan Proverb
For my family, hatch and feather
As she woke up in the pod, she remembered three things.

Somewhere within our
crowded sky, a crew of wormhole builders hops from planet to planet, on
their way to the job of a lifetime. To the galaxy at large, humanity is a
minor species, and one patched-up construction vessel is a mere speck
on the starchart. This is an everyday sort of ship, just trying to get
from here to there.

But all voyages leave their mark, and even
the most ordinary of people have stories worth telling. A young Martian
woman, hoping the vastness of space will put some distance between
herself and the life she‘s left behind. An alien pilot, navigating life
without her own kind. A pacifist captain, awaiting the return of a loved
one at war.

Set against a backdrop of curious cultures and
distant worlds, this episodic tale weaves together the adventures of
nine eclectic characters, each on a journey of their own.

"When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The patched-up ship has seen better days, but it offers her everything she could possible want: a spot to call home, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy and some distance from her past. And nothing could be further from what she's known than the crew of the Wayfarer."--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,805,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible