The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by…

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (edition 2014)

by Becky Chambers (Author)

Series: Wayfarers (1)

2,5842003,973 (4.08)380
Rosemary Harper doesn't expect much when she joins the crew of the aging Wayfarer. While the patched-up ship has seen better days, it offers her a bed, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and most importantly, some distance from her past. An introspective young woman, she's never met anyone remotely like the ship's diverse crew, including Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, chatty engineers Kizzy and Jenks, who keep the ship running, and Ashby, their noble captain. Life aboard the Wayfarer is chaotic and crazy-exactly what Rosemary wants. It's also about to get extremely dangerous when the crew is offered the job of a lifetime. Tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet is definitely lucrative and will keep them comfortable for years. But risking her life wasn't part of the plan. In the far reaches of deep space, the tiny Wayfarer crew will confront a host of unexpected mishaps and thrilling adventures that force them to depend on each other. To survive, Rosemary's got to learn how to rely on this assortment of oddballs-an experience that teaches her about love and trust, and that having a family isn't necessarily the worst thing in the universe.… (more)
Member:equanimity23
Title:The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
Authors:Becky Chambers (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2014), 518 pages
Tags:year-2018, sci-fi, female-author, lgbtq, female-protagonist

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden (tralliott)
    The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord (debbiereads)
    Behind the Throne by K. B. Wagers (majkia)
    majkia: strong weomen, complex characters, space opera
    The Human Division by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Enjoyable people on space voyages. Drama makes a plot happen, but the characters are pretty great too.
    Sargasso of Space by Andre Norton (amanda4242)
    Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (rarm)
    Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell (WabbitSeason)
    WabbitSeason: Both are gentle, optimistic, character-driven space opera's

English (198)  German (1)  All languages (199)
Thoroughly enjoyed these thoughtful kind character. I imagine it's hard to find conflict among nice people, but this worked. ( )
  tduvally | Sep 16, 2020 |
  tduvally | Sep 16, 2020 |
Read for BookRiot's Read Harder 2020 challenge #11, read a debut novel by a queer author.

I don't read a lot of science fiction, which is odd since I love science fiction movies. I have a hard time picturing the characters in a way that makes them come alive. This author has a great way of building the descriptions into the world in a way that made that happen more seamlessly for me. Their physical beings created different cultural environments, and their needs created different emotional reactions. Having their physical selves so embedded in the story structure made this really enjoyable. It was a bit light on plot but there was enough of a plot skeleton to move the story forward and still allow a lot of digressions to explore the characters more.

I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to pick up the next 2 in the series (maybe, just not sure yet) but I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an accessible space adventure. ( )
  kristi_test_02 | Sep 15, 2020 |

out-and-about | Sep 12, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book. It's long, but it keeps the action going and I really enjoyed the characters, their interactions, and the really interesting world building.

I will say that the one thing that annoyed me was when one character took the right to choose away from another character. It all works itself out, because really it was better off that the character whose choice was taken not make their harmful decision, but there's a lesson there in that it doesn't always work out so positively. The lack of punishment for the character doing the action was a bit OOC for the book, I thought. Even though it worked out, I felt it would have made more sense for them to at least discuss punishment, and then allow the hurt party to request that punishment not be carried out. That would have fit better into the feel of the book for me. Beyond that, very fun. ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doll, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulude, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodríguez, PatriciaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the ground, we stand;
From our ships, we live;
By the stars, we hope.

- Exodan Proverb
For my family, hatch and feather
As she woke up in the pod, she remembered three things.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,490,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible