Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel by Fredrik…

Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Fredrik Backman (Author)

Britt-Marie can't stand mess. She eats dinner at precisely the right time and starts her day at six in the morning because only lunatics wake up later than that. And she is not passive-aggressive. Not in the least. It's just that sometimes people interpret her helpful suggestions as criticisms, which is certainly not her intention. But at sixty-three, Britt-Marie has had enough. She finally walks out on her loveless forty-year marriage and finds a job in the only place she can: Borg, a small, derelict town devastated by the financial crisis. For the fastidious Britt-Marie, this new world of noisy children, muddy floors, and a roommate who is a rat (literally), is a hard adjustment. As for the citizens of Borg, with everything that they know crumbling around them, the only thing that they have left to hold onto is something Britt-Marie absolutely loathes: their love of soccer. When the village's youth team becomes desperate for a coach, they set their sights on her. She's the least likely candidate, but their need is obvious and there is no one else to do it. Thus begins a beautiful and unlikely partnership. In her new role as reluctant mentor to these lost young boys and girls, Britt-Marie soon finds herself becoming increasingly vital to the community. And even more surprisingly, she is the object of romantic desire for a friendly and handsome local policeman named Sven. In this world of oddballs and misfits, can Britt-Marie finally find a place where she belongs?… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel
Authors:Fredrik Backman (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2016), 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Read in 2016

Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman (2016)

Recently added byprivate library, beana, pilarvm, jkt139, SarahBarnhart, eva.rein, Emmaline02, ALoyacano

English (90)  Finnish (1)  All languages (91)
I wanted Britt-Marie to grow so much! Waiting for that stretch and strength to show was well worth it. Not a fan that the rekindling with Kent was kinda glossed over.....will have to read more from this author to help develop the story.
  untitled841 | Jul 24, 2019 |
The story moved slowly and I felt like I wanted to stop reading throughout the book, but I'm glad I read to the end. Britt-Marie evolved and her transformation was wonderful. Backman's "A Man Called Ove" was a book I loved, and this one just didn't compare. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
I like how Backman built Britt-Marie as a character, especially how she tends to whisper almost all the time but also have the habit of breaking out suddenly, saying the most audacious things. It's also satisfying to know that Ken does care about her, and that he is not just a figment of her imagination. Another interesting character is the employment agency girl, her name was never mentioned but she ended up caring about Britt Marie too. While Britt-Marie has its charms, I can't help thinking that Ove is better. ( )
  siok | Apr 19, 2019 |
It took me a looooooong time to muster up any affection for Britt-Marie. I agree with a reading friend of mine that this is too like A Man Called Ove to rate nearly as well (formulaic, but not as good). ( )
  joyblue | Apr 9, 2019 |
  joyblue | Apr 9, 2019 |
Voor mijn moeder, die er altijd voor zorgde dat ik eten in mijn maag had en boeken in mijn boekenkast.
Forks. Knives. Spoons.
In that order.

amazon ca: For as long as anyone can remember, Britt-Marie has been an acquired taste. It's not that she's judgemental, or fussy, or difficult - she just expects things to be done in a certain way. A cutlery drawer should be arranged in the right order, for example (forks, knives, then spoons). We're not animals, are we?

But behind the passive-aggressive, socially awkward, absurdly pedantic busybody is a woman who has more imagination, bigger dreams and a warmer heart than anyone around her realizes.

So when Britt-Marie finds herself unemployed, separated from her husband of 20 years, left to fend for herself in the miserable provincial backwater that is Borg - of which the kindest thing one can say is that it has a road going through it - and somehow tasked with running the local football team, she is a little unprepared. But she will learn that life may have more to offer her that she's ever realised, and love might be found in the most unexpected of places.

The number 1 European bestseller by the author of A Man Called Ove, Britt-Marie was Here is a funny, poignant and uplifting tale of love, community, and second chances.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,555,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible