Plagues of Eden (The Eden Thrillers) by…

Plagues of Eden (The Eden Thrillers)

by Sharon Linnéa

94950,433 (4)None

ABR's full Plagues of Eden audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Plagues of Eden is a non-stop action ride for 72 hours in book time. There is no getting off. Well, I didn’t want to. The collaboration of Sharon Linnea and B.K. Sherer made this a top notch espionage thriller. The first 20 minutes or so takes you thru all the characters in this who, what, where and why thriller. The authors take you thru an hour by nearly hour of what is happening where and with who. From time zone to time zone and country to country. Will it make you dizzy keeping it all straight? At first it may. Listening to the first 20 minutes or so diligently will keep you on the right track for the next 8 hours of the novel. So onto the important part the review.

The Plot: A madman wanting to take control of businesses and government ruling around the world for his benefit. In order to get his ways he is unleashing the 10 plagues. All over a 72 hour period leading up to the death of the first born. The story opens in Tell-el-Balumum, Egypt. At a gravesite digging. The head project director is summing up this very odd week on the dig site, examining the pieces that they have unearth. When all of the sudden out of the sky looks like a meteorite that hits the earth about 5 miles away. An anomaly, no more will come out of the sky. Then more start impacting the surrounding area and some burning up. As everyone starts running to take cover. Two of the friends jump in the nearby vehicle. As he approaches yelling for them to get out the vehicle it is struck by one of the meteorites killing the two inside. What is going on?

To the madman’s lair, as his computer expert turns to give himself a well-deserved pat on the back for a job well done. He is thrilled he has completed the task at hand, the 3rd plague of Fire raining down from the heavens. (The first 2 plagues you find out about further in the novel). Well only 2 were killed. Not bad, everything did come down within the 5 mile radius that he wanted. But, were they meteorites. No they were actually 3 satellites that he control by hacking into their systems to have them fall back to earth. The computer expert is only a puppet under the thumb of the madman.

In the US at West Point, A wedding. How grand where two of the government’s secret operatives Army Chaplain Jaime Richards and Yani (undercover code name Sword 23 are finally getting married in a regular ceremony). Even though they were married several times before in other ceremonies. To make their family and themselves happy marry once again in a regular wedding. Heading for a honeymoon hideout as they are rudely interrupted by their commanding operations. Their objective is to stop a manic that is unleashing plagues around the world. One heading under orders of being undercover as a former operative and the other as an undercover specialist for the owner of one of the satellites. These two along with Mark Shepard are the main good guy characters of this novel. As Jamie heads to meet the plane of the owner of the satellite. Little does she know it is a former friend of hers Mark Shepard? To each other’s astonishment of how can this be? Will they be able to work together knowing their past history?

All three of them finding themselves canvasing back and forth across the globe collecting clues to stop the remaining 7 plagues. Paris, Italian vineyards, Argentina, and back at West Point. Who else is in this plot with this madman since he is so delusional? You will find him talking to someone that is not there. Though his oriental aid knows all too well that no one is there. She consuls him and makes sure he is getting his medication to keep him from getting to out of hand. Or is she? She has a plot of her own.

A little boy kidnapped. The madman does not know of the special needs that this boy has. He has a love for King Arthur and Camelot. His father works all the time so tired and sleeping. He wakes up not knowing that his son is kidnapped. Since he is in the care of a nanny thought they gone somewhere. Shortly after receiving a call from the nanny upon her release from the kidnappers. Once she arrives back to the Paris flat telling what had happened. Not knowing why anyone would kidnap his son. Why he was worth millions but others are worth billions. Who would want his company anyway?

Meanwhile, Yani/Sword 23 ends up at the same place as the little boy he calls Merlin. He realizes that they boy has special needs and lives thru his fascination of Camelot and King Arthur’s story. Will they find their way out of the clutches of this mad man? What does the wineries have in connection with this madman? Will Jamie and Mark be in time to save Yani? Will they stop the assignation of the first born? All great questions that you will have to read/listen to too find out the answers.

What I love is the way the novel was laid out. Each place and time layout prior to the event taking place so you are not wondering – Did I miss something? You knew where you were within the 72 hour period. As the minutes dwindled down. There is some light humor throughout. But, for the most part it was non-stop action. Truly a full story. No abrupt ending. Actually, when you thought it was all over it isn’t. Loved it! Well played out that will draw you in as it did me. From start to end.

Co-authors Sharon Linnea and B.K. Sherer, really have a hit with this Eden Series. This book is a stand-alone story. Even though I was given this book for review I find myself getting on board for the entire series. I purchase the other 3 books, so back to book one for me!

I absolutely love the cover. It is certainly a draw for me as a reader as with the title. That is important as some may not think. But, if I see a cover that is mediocre in artwork or photograph I usually pass it up without even reading the synopsis.

Narrator: Kristina Fuller Yuen has done an outstanding job with the characters. Especially with the small boy. Adding accents to those that have them perfectly. Transitioning from character to character flawlessly. Even when the parts are at the climax of a shootout or when Yani was been brutally interrogated. I am going to look forward to listening to her on the other book and hope that she does all of the series. Hate seeing a new narrator for a series. You cannot go wrong if you are into this particular genre.

Note: This book was provided to me for an honest and unbiased review. No one has influence my review above and I always welcome comments about the above.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Feb 10, 2015 |
Plagues of Eden is one of those books that you absolutely have to read to the end. A strong cast of characters, a that is exciting and suspenseful plus corrupt and destructive group of people who are out to destroy civilization as we know it.

I found this book to be very suspenseful and a real page turner. This book is the fourth in the Eden series, even though this was the first I have read in this series, the authors writing and recapping the storyline of Army Chaplain Jaime Richards was enough for me to understand the story. Can Jaime and her rock star friend Mark Shepard find the evil people in time to stop them from leashing the ancient plagues on mankind? Read the book to find out! You will not be disappointed if you love an action packed story with a bit of romance thrown in. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jan 10, 2015 |
The prologue begins at an archaeological dig in Egypt. As they are getting ready to go home for the day, it begins hailing – hailstones of fire! Savino Latorre, backed by business mogul, Shanlei, has waited ten long years to perfect the same type of plagues as the Bible plagues from Moses day. They are now ready. They’ve created a website called WheelofPlagues.com so the world can watch their countdown. The most destructive plague is only seventy-two hours away – Death of the Firstborn.

Chaplain (Maj.) Jaime Richards and Yani were getting married at the Cadet Chapel at West Point. Yani (Sword 23) is from Eden, an altruistic society providing help to those in the Terris world. Yani’s Terris birth certificate shows his name as William Jonathan Burton and he is a weapons inspector with the United Nations. Only moments into their vows, they were being called into service – an emergency of international significance. Mark Shepherd, a rock star and Jaime’s former romantic interest, was at the wedding. He manages to be on the plane with Jaime as she is assigned this case and is on her way to Egypt. He’s helping – like it or not.

The author ingeniously creates a story of criminals perfecting how to use Biblically proportioned plagues against mankind; they do so for power. There is a lot of action and fantasy in the novels of The Eden Thriller series. I had not read the three prior books, but felt like the story was contained, so that it could be read as a standalone. The fantasy is not too overdone. Fantasy locations as well as real locations are within the book. There are quite a few characters to keep track of. Each chapter is preceded with the date; time; and location. The characters of Jaime; Yani; and Mark are all strong-willed and likable. I rated Plagues of Eden at 4 out of 5.

http://www.fictionzeal.com/plagues-eden-eden-thrillers-4-sharon-linnea/ ( )
  FictionZeal | Oct 25, 2014 |
Plagues of Eden is the fourth in the series of the Eden Thrillers Book Series. I would highly recommend reading the first three books to get the background to the story or you will miss some of the connections as I did and this will take away from your enjoyment and understanding of this novel.

Basically, there is a madman on the loose who has decided and thoroughly planned out how to carry out the same plagues that God rained down on the Egyptians in the old testament unless his demands are met – turning the sea to blood, the plague of darkness and so on right up to the death of the firstborn. He leaves clues as to where the next plague will be carried out because he is not doing this in just one country, but worldwide, causing havoc everywhere – economic destruction and chaos all over the world.

Chaplain Jaime Richards and Mark Shepard, a rock star, are hot on the trail of the madman, following his clues which are left in code. It’s a giant scavenger hunt with the world as the prize.

The intensity of the suspense is ramped up as the entire book takes place over only three days. There are lots of surprises in the plot to keep you guessing too.

I liked the characters of Jaime and Mark, though Mark didn’t seem like the kind of guy I would expect to be a rock star. Maybe I’m stereotyping rock stars. I do think I would have enjoyed the book more if I had read the first three in the series first, so I highly recommend starting at the beginning.

Due to starting the series with this book (my own fault) I rated Plagues of Eden at 3 stars out of 5.

I received this book as part of a book tour with Promotional Book Tours. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts were my own.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2014/09/plagues-of-eden-eden-thrill... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Oct 20, 2014 |

Sharon Linnéa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible