You Say Potato by Ben Crystal

You Say Potato

by Ben Crystal

_ Hello. I'm David Crystal. I'm a linguist and I was so taken aback when my son Ben said gaRAZH rather than GAREidge that I asked him to write this book with me. He's spent time in the US and is younger than I so he's well qualified to address the topic of accents. I'm not altother an old fogey, though, and I'll prove that by referring to a lot of Hollywood films.

_ Hi--Ben here. I'll be telling you about various voice-over jobs I've had and, because I'm a droll sort, about the jobs I failed to land or was let go from. I've lived in Gloucester, Caerphilly, and Leicester and though I can speak in the accents of all those places beneath it all my speech is RP.

_ Indeed. I think readers will be pleased to know that we'll be discussing at bemusing length a Shakespeare project in which we both took part.

_ That's right; Dad will go into the technical details and I'll amuse you by telling you about the acting roles I did and didn't get in the project.

_ Ben, I don't suppose you're aware of having just said pruhJEKT, not PROjekt?

_ Darn it, Dad!

(Audience laughter. Strings playing something anodyne as closing credits roll.) ( )
1 vote bluepiano | Mar 8, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible