Sixth of the Dusk by Brandon Sanderson

This is Sanderson's most impressive work of short-form world-building so far. The main character, Dusk, is a trapper who specializes in catching/raising magical birds who grant powers. Catching these birds requires navigating islands where literally everything is out to kill you, from plants to beasts to insects.

Dusk's kind are becoming a dying breed, however, as science advances and more and more people want to find out just how these magical birds work, where they come from, why the magic is confined to this specific archipelago, etc. This relationship is made even more complex by the recent arrival of an advanced alien race (The Ones Above) who appear benevolent, but are unwilling to trade their technology until the native people become more technologically advanced themselves. Their motives, however, may not be quite that simple.

I don't even have the words for how good this is. Just read it. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Sixth of the Dusk Series: Cosmere Author: Brandon Sanderson Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: SF Pages: 65 Synopsis: A low tech world has been contacted by a space faring race. But what can one anti-social trapper do, especially when his own people are against him? My Thoughts: A thoroughly enjoyable story [it is listed as novella, but to be honest, it doesn't seem that long to me, more like a long "short story". Ha] I could sympathize with the main character, in his attitude and his outlook on the passing of what he knew. I also think Sanderson did an excellent job of giving us a full story without falling into the trap of trying to tell us everything. This was an exercise in precision and he performed perfectly. I think that the whole Cosmere thing [Sanderson has his own multi-uni-verse and every story takes place in it, even if they aren't connected] is just a marketing ploy but since it doesn't adversely affect anything, I don't have any problems with it. And getting a short dose of Sanderson is always a good thing. Sometimes one doesn't want 500-900 pages, just a taste. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
What interesting worlds. This is why I like fantasy. You can do so much with writing fantasy - build whatever world you want. It doesn't have to make sense. It just is here. And this world is pretty cool. There is so much more that could be built on this, but I'm satisfied with it as it is for the time being. It would be cool to see this world come up again though. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 9, 2016 |
Well written short story with a well done "moral of the story". Not much link with previous cosmere books. ( )
  Guide2 | Nov 16, 2014 |

A fascinating new novella in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, the universe shared by his Mistborn series and the #1 New York Times bestselling Stormlight Archive.

"Sixth of the Dusk, set in a never-before-seen world, showcases a society on the brink of technological change. On the deadly island of Patji, where birds grant people magical talents and predators can sense the thoughts of their prey, a solitary trapper discovers that the island is not the only thing out to kill him. When he begins to see his own corpse at every turn, does this spell danger for his entire culture?"… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,308,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible