Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson

Hattie Big Sky

by Kirby Larson

Inspired by the author's great-grandmother who proved a homesteader's claim on her own in Montana. Sixteen-year-old Hattie is an orphan who has been shuttled around from relative to relative until the day she receives a letter from her Uncle Chester and learns that she has inherited his claim on his death and has a year to prove it up. The claim is 320 acres with a very rough shack, a cow and a horse. With the help of her distant neighbors Perilee and Karl, Rooster Jim and Leafie, Hattie plunges into the hard work of fencing her claim, planting crops and generally surviving life on the prairie. In the end, "honyocker" Hattie loses her claim but is a more mature, stronger woman for the experience. Would work as Christian fiction as she prays often, asking the Lord for help. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I loved the characters, their courage, the involved story (not just a romance disguised as a historical novel).

I really appreciated the author's research into Montana homesteaders (including her great grandmother) and prejudice against Germans during World War I. She made it all personal and real, not a history lesson. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Hattie Inez Brooks is an orphan who has been shunted from family member to family member since her parents died. She feels she is “Hattie Here and There.” When she’s informed of a totally unexpected legacy she sets out for Montana at the tender age of 16 to lay claim to her uncle’s homestead.

This is a good story, based on the life of the author’s great-grandmother. When most of us hear “homestead” we think of the mid to late 1800’s, but this story is set in 1917-1918. There is a lot going on the in country at this time – the advent of motorized vehicles, the Great War (World War I), the expansion of the railroads and increased settlement of the West, and the great Spanish Influenza pandemic. All these elements and historical episodes come into play in this young adult novel. Larson has crafted a compelling plot, with a good balance of heartache and joy. We have a very strong heroine in Hattie Brooks, as well other strong men and women, and a few villains and cowards to even the score and make the story interesting and realistic.

Kirsten Potter does a fine job of narrating the audio book. Her pacing is good and her use of varying inflections helps to differentiate characters.

I really enjoyed this novel and would read more of Larson’s work. Definitely would recommend this for my nieces (ages 11 and 16).
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
This is a great historical book about homesteading in America during the early 1900's. Hattie, a 16-year-old, is willed a land claim by her unknown, deceased uncle, so she leaves her foster home in Iowa and heads to Montana. She arrives in the middle of winter to find little more than some land, a shack, a cow and a horse. She has until November to produce a crop that can pay off the claim so she will become the legal owner of the land. Throughout the story Hattie learns how to manage a farm, but more importantly she learns the true value of friendship, kindness and loyalty. The story is set against the backdrop of WWI. Through the exchange of letters between Hattie and Charlie, who is stationed in France, we see a glimpse of the war from a soldier's viewpoint. We also see the intolerance many Americans had toward German immigrants.

Some of the writing was a little too cliched for me or I would have given it 4 stars. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
A satisfying mix of excitement, history, & interesting, authentic characters, leavened with just enough natural humor. I doubt I'll read the sequel, though, as I'm just tired out from reading so much historical fiction.

(Larson was inspired by a real ancestor, but had to fill in so many gaps, apparently, that it's more valid to call this fiction than biography.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Elizabeth Bush (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, March 2007 (Vol. 60, No. 7))
There’s not much future in Iowa for sixteen-year-old Hattie Brooks, whose guardian aunt is urging her to quit school and take a domestic job, so the opportunity to prove up a Montana homestead claim left to her by a deceased uncle seems a longshot worth taking. She’ll have the better part of one year to complete the fencing, bring forty acres under cultivation, and raise the nearly forty-dollar fee to own the property free and clear. Neighbors welcome her and assist wherever they can—advising on crop choice, stretching fence wire in spare moments, donating a few chickens, sharing heaving equipment, and offering moral support and friendship. But Hattie’s particular closeness with the family of German immigrant Karl Mueller and his American wife, Perilee, catches the attention of Traft Martin, scion of a wealthy ranching family and head of a nativist contingent of townsfolk who whip up anti-German sentiments as World War I rages in Europe and claims the lives of American soldiers. Martin keeps Hattie wary and off balance—charming her with hints of romance one moment, cajoling her to sell her farm the next; reasoning with her about making ill-advised friendships, and then turning to thinly veiled threats. Hattie’s determination and loyalty to the Muellers is unshakable, but just when it looks like she will succeed, Nature throws a knockout punch worse than anything Martin or his ilk could devise. Larson’s tale is inspired by an ancestor who, as a single young woman, did prove up a Montana claim, but she turns to more common experiences of failure to fashion Hattie’s fictional story. With the literary Great Plains overpopulated by plucky 1800s girls on covered wagons, it’s refreshing to bring the homestead experience into the twentieth century and meet a strong-willed young woman who meets failure with dignity, shoulders her debts with good-natured resolve, and plans her future with cautious optimism. Review Code: R -- Recommended. (c) Copyright 2006, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 2006, Delacorte, 289p., $17.99 and $15.95. Grades 6-9.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Elizabeth Bush

December 19, 1917 Arlington, Iowa

Dear Charlie, Miss Simpson starts every day with a reminder to pray for you--and all the other boys who enlisted.
I leaned back against the rough siding of Uncle Chester’s house and studied that Montana sky. I know the same sky hangs over Iowa – over Charlie in France, for that matter – but I don't think it looks like this anywhere else in the world. There weren't many trees or mountains to catch at that sky and keep it low. No, it stretched out high and smooth and far, like a heavenly quilt on an unseen frame.
My pa used to say that hell would be a holiday for someone from eastern Montana.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:43 -0400)

After inheriting her uncle's homesteading claim in Montana, sixteen-year-old orphan Hattie Brooks travels from Iowa in 1917 to make a home for herself and encounters some unexpected problems related to the war being fought in Europe. Alone in the world, teen-aged Hattie is driven to prove up on her uncle's homesteading claim. For years, sixteen-year-old Hattie's been shuttled between relatives. Tired of being Hattie Here-and-There, she courageously leaves Iowa to prove up on her late uncle's homestead claim near Vida, Montana. With a stubborn stick-to-itiveness, Hattie faces frost, drought and blizzards. Despite many hardships, Hattie forges ahead, sharing her adventures with her friends--especially Charlie, fighting in France--through letters and articles for her hometown paper. Her backbreaking quest for a home is lightened by her neighbors, the Muellers. But she feels threatened by pressure to be a "Loyal" American, forbidding friendships with folks of German descent. Despite everything, Hattie's determined to stay until a tragedy causes her to discover the true meaning of home.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible