Faking Perfect by Rebecca Phillips

Faking Perfect

by Rebecca Phillips

214495,208 (3)None

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 stars! This was such a great read! There were many clichés and sections of the book where I was just like, "Seriously?", but overall it's pretty well written and the story was interesting for the most part . However, it does have some sexy times, quite a bit of cursing, and some pretty serious stuff(like drugs, parental neglection, partying, etc). The main character worried over petty stuff and pissed me off a lot, but I also understood her. She was living with a parent whom I considered pretty crappy and was just trying to get to know the other one. I didn't like how she cared about being popular or how she didn't count the blessings she did have and took people (Like Nolan and Tyler) who actually cared about her for granted. I liked that she liked snakes. That is something different I don't see in books. Then, I liked how that connected to her father. I didn't like Ben, because he was arrogant and I didn't understand why she liked him. Tyler, even with his issues, cared for her and was a better choice for her. They connected with each other emotionally without knowing it because of their similar lives. The difference is Tyler was never faking perfect. He just accepted who he was and Nolan was the same way. Nolan is probably my favorite character. He seems pretty cool to me. Anyone who sticks around after how she treats him in the book is an A + friend, though I would not have put up with her bullshit for that long. Anyway, this was a great contemporary read and I do recommend it if you just want something both interesting and quick to read! ( )
  ChelseaClaudett | Mar 18, 2016 |
It seems like all the contemporary YA books I've read lately have shallow, weak protagonists with dysfunctional families. And as I read them, I can't help but thinking, "what is the point of this?"

Lexi is "faking" her way through high school by turning herself into a clone of the popular kids; however, I never got what was so "bad" about her former self (hiding your absentee father and alcoholic mom doesn't equate to you being nefarious). All the while she is secretly hooking up with the resident (misunderstood) bad boy, while also longing after her friend, the "perfect" Ben.

I don't see what she saw in Ben or why she was so obsessed with him. There was never any chemistry there and it seemed she really only cared for him because of his status and how he could make him look. When they do get together he is controlling and demeaning. She is complacent about the relationship and the whole time I'm thinking...again...."what is the point?"

I actually liked Tyler from the beginning and wished we could have gotten to know him better. Nolan was a good friend to Lexi as well, and I'm glad when things went sideways with them that she swallowed her pride to make things right.

I did enjoy seeing Lexi reconnect with her father after so many years. As something that had hurt her and irrevocably shaped her, his leaving and reappearance created character development that I found otherwise lacking.

Ultimately, I did not connect with Lexi or any other character. And even though I read through it pretty quickly, I find myself blasé about the whole book. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
For more reviews go to: http://best-of-ya.blogspot.com/

Like most high school students, Lexi Shaw is pretending to be someone she’s not. In order to fit in with the popular crowd at school—and ultimately make Ben Dorsey fall in love with her—she needs to look and act the part. This means hiding the fact that her mom is hardly ever around because she is too busy off drinking with one of her boyfriends. And making sure no one finds out what she does with Oakfield High’s resident bad boy in her room at 1 A.M. Oh, and keeping her relationship with her best friend a sort of secret because her popular friends think he’s weird.

Although this seems like it is going to be about the Lexi-Tyler-Ben love triangle, it is really about Lexi’s self-growth. For two years she has tried to be the perfect everything just so she can impress a boy she doesn’t truly know—ultimately losing herself along the way. She has been fixated on her idea of Ben instead of who he really is; she even pushes away two of the only real friends she has because she can not bear to disappoint him. When everything blows up in her face—and someone from her past resurfaces complicating things further—she snaps out of it and allows herself to be, well, herself. Mostly because she doesn’t really have a choice, but also because she finally sees that what you wish for might not always be what you actually want.

Nolan is probably my favorite of all the characters. He does not care an ounce what people think of him and actually takes pleasure in making them squirm when he gets the chance. (Still not sure what everyone’s problem with him is either…) I just really liked his friendship with Lexi because he shows how much he cares in a quiet kind of way. He is her rock and she knows she never has to hide who she is from him and that he’ll always be there for her no matter what. I wish we had gotten to know Tyler more because he is so sweet (albeit a little hotheaded) and could have been a great character. I wanted more Lexi and Tyler scenes that really took the time to develop their romantic relationship.

As for Lexi, she is a bit lost, has low self-esteem and believes that she is not good enough for anyone. She doesn’t have the greatest support system or role models at home—Nolan’s parents practically raised her and her mom doesn’t even bother to attend her high school graduation. I can see why she would want to pretend to be someone else and I applaud her for standing up to her mother.

I think this cover is perfect. The girl in the picture just looks so FREE which perfectly sums up Lexi at the end of the book. (It is the same image used for Heather Topham Wood's Falling for Autumn, but honestly I much prefer the way this one was designed). ( )
  joanab951 | Jul 10, 2015 |
I received this free eARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Lexi is annoying. She is fake and is all about image, rather than just being her own self. She has a best friend, but doesn't talk to him when they are at school. It's almost like she ignores him when she's around her "cool" friends because they don't like him.

And she's using Tyler. Sure, he was using her at first too, but feelings change and he shouldn't be shunned because he's human.

I hate Lexi's friends. Okay, I don't hate Shelby, she got nicer since she had already been shunned when she got pregnant. But I really hate Ben. He's such a jerk and everything has to be his way or the highway. They really are all about image and he has to be the perfect guy with the perfect girlfriend and the perfect life. And the second he got a sniff of any "unruly" activity, instead of asking Lexi about it and getting her point of view, he goes and blabs her biggest secret like it was eating away at him, just waiting to come out.

The ending was nice, but way too abrupt. I didn't even know it was the ending at first! So I liked how Lexi became a better person and how she started connecting with the right people in her life, but it still doesn't change the fact that I really didn't like her and her attitude towards the people she cares about the most. There shouldn't be a reason to act like that if she really loved them.

So this book was okay. Definitely not my favorite, but it isn't the worst book I've ever read. ( )
  JeracaFite | Jul 1, 2015 |

"When Lexi Shaw seduced Oakfield High's resident bad boy Tyler Flynn at the beginning of senior year, he seemed perfectly okay with her rules: 1. Avoid her at school. 2. Keep his mouth shut about what they do together. 3. Never tease her about her friend (and unrequited crush) Ben. Because with his integrity and values and golden boy looks, Ben can never find out about what she's been doing behind closed doors with Tyler. Or that her mom's too busy drinking and chasing losers to pay the bills. Or that Lexi's dad hasn't been a part of her life for the last thirteen years. But with Tyler suddenly breaking the rules, Ben asking her out, and her dad back in the picture, how long will she be able to go on faking perfect?"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Rebecca Phillips is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,768,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible