Second Life by S. J. Watson

Second Life (2015)

by S. J. Watson

English (27)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (29)
When Julia's sister is murdered in Paris Julia is hit badly. Her carefully constructed life begins to fall apart as her past is brought into focus. She embarks on a dangerous quest to find out what happened to her sister, delving into the seedy world of casual sexual encounters via internet sites. Her only confidant in this is her sister's former flatmate Anna. However as fantasy and real life become closer together Julia's relationship with her husband and family is put under more and more pressure.

I haven't read 'Before I Go To Sleep', it's on my 'to read' list - or at least it was until I read this book. Like the unholy offspring of chick-lit, a sub-50 Shades of Grey pastiche and a poor thriller this book will appeal to many but it is definitely not my sort of reading at all. The plot is crazy and very obvious anyway and the character of Julia is poorly drawn on one hand and silly to the extreme on the other. There is certainly a market for this sort of book and I'm sure it will be very popular. I had to complete it to see just how far-fetched it would become! ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
I found this book heavy going in places. I am not sure I was ready to dislike the main character quite as much as I did. It is difficult to write a less than sympathetic core collection of characters and this is a good example of it being done quite well.

I liked some of the details/descriptions and style this was written but overall for me it was a bit grim. I think if you like these sorts of "tied up tightly together" stories it is well written.

I found the pace was slow for the last 1/3 of the book but that may have been again related to not identifying well with the core characters and therefore not feeling empathetic to their situation. I appreciate this is my interpretation and I cannot fault the writing - it is just not for me in this case. ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 23, 2017 |
This book wasn't nearly as good as the other by this author that I read. Much more predictable, less interesting (not so 'new' if you understand what I mean).
Nevertheless I kept reading and kept getting annoyed with thevactions of the main character. Why on earth would she do what she did?

I'm not sure if I'll read another novel by this writer soon. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 24, 2017 |
I really enjoyed Before I go to Sleep and was thrilled to receive a copy of Mr Watson’s second novel in exchange for a review. I eagerly dove in only to be confronted with the most dislikeable main character I think I’ve ever met. Unlike other reviewers however I don’t care a jot about this, I must be a bit evil because I really enjoyed watching Julia’s life spiral out of control as she attempts to find out who murdered her sister.
There are plenty of twists and red herrings to confuse you and, just like Julia, I thought I had what happened worked out until yet another spanner was thrown in the works. However it was the ending which earns this book another star. It’s a brave writer who takes the reader on a journey and then leaves you hanging. It’s Marmite, you’ll either love it or want to throw the book through the nearest window but when you’ve got a character who’s systematically destroyed her own life do you really want a happy ending with everything sown up neatly. I say no, bring on the chaos.
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
Pretty good read, able to guess at the true relationships of the characters, a rather disappointing ending. ( )
  5041 | Feb 11, 2017 |
Voor Alistair Peacock,
en voor Jenny Hill
I climb the stairs but the door is closed. I hesitate outside it. Mow I'm here, I don't want to go in. I want to turn round, go home. Try again later.
Als repressie sinds de klassieke tijd inderdaad de fundamentele schakel is geweest tussen macht, kennis en seksualiteit, zullen wij ons daar slechts tegen een hoge prijs van kunnen bevrijden.

Michel Foucault
God behoede me voor die gedachten die mensen alleen in hun brein vormen

W.B.Yeats

How well can you really know another person? And how far would you go to find out the truth about them?

When Julia learns that her sister has been violently killed, she knows she must get to the bottom of things. Even if it means jeopardising her relationship with her husband and risking the safety of her son. Getting involved with a stranger online. Losing control.

Perhaps losing everything.

Set in Paris and London, Second Life is about the double lives people lead - and the dark places they can end up in.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062060589, Hardcover)

She loves her husband. She's obsessed by a stranger. She's a devoted mother. She's prepared to lose everything. She knows what she's doing. She's out of control. She's innocent. She's guilty as sin. She's living two lives. She might lose both.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible