EllRay Jakes Rocks the Holidays! by Sally…

EllRay Jakes Rocks the Holidays!

by Sally Warner

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't really like this book. The characters were unrealistic for the age they are in the story, The plot is very under developed and it over hammers the race issue where the race issue doesn't exist in the story. (Kid assumes everything that doesn't go his way is because he's black, instead of looking at reality.) I have liked others in the series and the narrator was decent, so I rated it 3 stars. ( )
  kirathelibrarian | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book - part of a series which I have not read any of the other books. The boy, who doesn't want to be the center of attention, ends up being just that when he insults a friend of his. His father wants him to be proud of his African American heritage but he just wants to blend in.

I thought the book was funny and well written. The narrator on the audio book didn't do much for me. I would have rather read this book on my own. ( )
  CZimmerman | Apr 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a holiday story about a young boy who offends his best friend during the hiliday season. It addresses the issue of skin color among school aged children. Loved the voices and animation. Also loved the way lessons were intermingled in the dialog. My 4-8 year old grandchildren loved it. ( )
  nmaners | Apr 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
EllRay Jakes is a typical third grade student anticipating Christmas. A misunderstanding leads to friendship troubles and challenges to regain a friend. The challenges are hard and the hardest part is deciding to follow through with the biggest one. High quality narration by Corey Allen. ( )
  VaterOlsen | Feb 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another good installment in this early middle grade series about 3rd grader EllRay Jakes, this time tackling personal identity and friendship at Christmastime. EllRay accidentally embarrasses one of his friends, and to make amends must complete three (or more) challenges, one of which involves being the Emcee at the school's holiday performance. Which would be fine, if EllRay's goal in life wasn't to blend in. Warner, as always, has a good line on how kids think and act and speak, making this an enjoyable and relatable book. ( )
  shazzerwise | Feb 17, 2016 |

It’s December at Oak Glen Primary School and all EllRay can think about is Christmas. As far as he’s concerned, Christmas is the best—no school, presents, fun parties, and lots of cookies! But before EllRay can celebrate with his family, he must lead half the school in the Winter Wonderland assembly.

How tough can it be to memorize a few lines? Very tough, especially when EllRay’s soon-to-be ex-friend gives him a challenge to perform onstage. If he completes the challenge, he’ll save his friendship...but he’ll also ruin the assembly. EllRay is in for a not-so holly jolly time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:46 -0400)

Third-grader EllRay dreads the upcoming Winter Wonderland school assembly in which he must emcee and sing "Jingle Bell Rock."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sally Warner's book EllRay Jakes Rocks the Holidays! was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,345,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible