Jurassic Dead by Rick Chesler

Jurassic Dead

by Rick Chesler

I went into this book only knowing the title and seeing the cover. Based on that, this book ended up being different from what I expected based on the title alone. I was concerned that it would just be a more gruesome version of Jurassic Park, particularly with the regained popularity of the Michael Crichtons' series.

While I do think the title of this book will (hopefully) help bring attention to this book. This story is definitely more along the lines of horror than adventure. There are multiple villains (seriously evil masterminds), not to mention extraordinarily harsh elements, zombies and dinosaurs! Oh- and zombie dinosaurs. That is a seriously messed up element to even fictionally contend with! I think our authors must have some very hardcore imaginations. I never even would have considered the concept of going where they did with this. Which made it all the more disturbingly scary! I'm excited to share it with my 'little' brother (33) who loved all things dinosaur when we were kids and now likes horror. I think it might ruin his love of dinosaurs...but it's worth it.

I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the writer, publisher or narrator in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  littlebear514 | Sep 9, 2015 |
I was given an Advance Review Copy of JURASSIC DEAD by David Sakmyster and Amazon Best Selling author, Rick Chesler. This was in exchange for an honest review.

I hate to say this book was a cross between something written by Michael Crichton and Joe McKinney, but . . . it was. That is not a bad thing. Just the opposite, as those are two of my favorite authors.

In Jurassic Dead there is a major dig underway in the Antartic. Melvin DeKirk spared no expense. He brought on Marcus Ramirez, a top paleontologist, and Xander Dyson, a biochemist, to assist with the dig, search, and extraction. Problem is, nothing is ever that simple.

Alex Ramirez, Marcus’ son, and a cohort are against the concept of the dig. They are kind of a Green Peace for land. In a dangerous attempt to thwart dig attempts in an untapped continent, the two infiltrate the sites. What they find below the layers of ice is angry soldiers. And worse. Under a subterranean lake in the Antarctic is the discovery of a lifetime. DeKirk’s plan is to expertly remove the find and ship it to a remote island where more scientists can work and create, and destroy.

Veronica Winters is undercover CIA, and is also working to stop DeKirk. It isn’t the dig she wants to stop as much as catch the man behind it all. His empire was built on criminal act on top of criminal act on top of criminal act. She wanted to take him down, the fact that Xander was in the picture, just made the piece of pie that much more luscious. Xander might be a scientist, but he was a killer, too. One that used poisons and toxins over guns and knives.

With lines drawn, Alex and Veronica work together against the impossible and the insane. From Antarctic digs, raging storms on the sea, carnivorous zombies, 65 million year old dinosaurs . . . awakened . . . there isn’t time to figure out what to do next. There isn’t time to look back. There is only one option when it comes to survival, keep moving forward!

Sakmyster and Chesler have crafted a taut, explosive zombie novel with Jurassic Dead. The characters are three dimensional, the plot gripping, and the action non-stop. The worst part of the book were the words The End on the last page. Because I wanted more.

Phillip Tomasso
Author of The Vaccination Trilogy and Blood River
http://www.philliptomasso.com/ ( )
  ptom3 | May 2, 2015 |
Alex has come to Antarctica to stop the exploitation of the last pristine place on Earth, only to find his father, a paleontologist has made a major discovery there for a rather sinister employer. What happens next is just too incredible to believe or describe. ( )
  koalamom | Nov 10, 2014 |
Definitely 5 stars and if I could pick more, I would

This isn't my first book by Sakmyster, but his collaboration with Chesler made this intensifying and amazing story about a come-to-life frozen, yet heartless T. Rex. The interactions between the characters, especially father and son, Marcus and Alex, respectively, flowed perfectly with a zombie-ish but more like ... as it's described in the book "a prehistoric-skinned mash-up between human and reptile..." setting. There are some things that a son shouldn't see in his father ... Basically, it's a prehistoric zombie or undead T. Rex who is very hungry and what he does to his meals is something ... vile. Loved it. The story grabbed me from the very beginning. ( )
  amyshan | Oct 21, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible