God's Formula: A Novel of Ian Fleming,…

God's Formula: A Novel of Ian Fleming, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Nazi Germany

by James LePore

113,689,591 (1)None
Recently added bybaggman

Before I started writing this review I made it a point to revisit the Goodread's site to verify that this book was indeed rated at 4.43 stars out of 5. Seriously, 4.43 stars? Who in God's name rated this book so highly, and what in God's name were they thinking? This book was terrible! Thirty minutes into it, I was checking my Kindle to see exactly how many pages were left in this dribble. Except for inserting some soft core sex at various spots, which I assume was to move the book from juvenile fiction to adult thriller, this book would easily be at home on the shelf of any middle school library.

The writing was simple and required no concentration, or thought whatsoever. It was solitary for the mind. If this book had been interesting, it could have been easily been read in two, or three sittings. It was a painful seven sittings for me. I literally forced myself to finish. The protagonists: Ian Fleming; J.R.R. Tolkien and yes, Albert Einstein were completely one dimensional and had the appeal of a Winnie the Pooh character. As a matter of fact, the entire storyline was borderline juvenile fantasy fiction. I'm not even going to waste time to explain the plot. Think Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire meets From Russia With Love. Even that sounds more interesting than God's Formula.

Based on this book, I've made a notation in my read list to exclude any past, or future novels by LePore and Davis. I don't care how many stars their reviews get.
  baggman | Feb 11, 2016 |

It is 1939. The scourge that is Nazi Germany is trampling Europe as its scientists vie to deliver ever-increasing destructive power. Now physicist Walter Friedeman - a friend of Albert Einstein's since childhood - has found a formula to enrich uranium in three months rather than the previously expected five years. Such a formula could deliver Germany the first atomic arsenal. But Friedeman does not believe in the Nazi cause. Friedeman wants the formula in the hands of America, but getting it to them himself will be nearly impossible. He sets into motion a plan to use his teenaged son, a Hitler Youth, to unwittingly do the job using a message Friedeman has encoded in the Elvish language created by J.R.R. Tolkien in his novel The Hobbit.What follows is a quest across continents as Einstein, Tolkien, and MI-6 officer Ian Fleming work together to find Friedeman's son, decode the message, and wrest control of the nuclear future before Hitler can steal it for himself.Reuniting Tolkien and Fleming after their adventure in No Dawn for Men, God's Formula is a heart-pounding thriller filled with history both real and imagined.… (more)

James LePore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,419,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible