Breaking Sky by Cori McCarthy

Breaking Sky

by Cori McCarthy

Anyone looking for a good book – don’t read Breaking Sky by Cori McCarthy.

Mary Sue, two-dimensional characters abound, there is so much “telling” rather than “showing” that I highlighted literally 80% of one page that was basically nothing but character-info-dump, and stilted dialog like you wouldn’t believe. That, added to just lazy writing, words of the “I don’t think that means what you think it means” species (eg: the viewpoint character “unwittingly quoted her father”. How…how does that even work? If it were another character, the POV charrie could note that it was an unwitting quote, but how does the POV unwittingly…never mind) and the weirdest chapter titling system I’ve ever seen combined to make this book disappointing and actually irritating. It felt like it was written by a fourteen year old who was trying to write about characters older than she is. Awkward and lazy or simply careless, I can’t believe or understand all the positive reviews it’s getting.

I nearly always finish a book, even if I’m not that crazy about it, because I want to know at least how it ends. But this one, I gave up after about five chapters because I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Please, give Breaking Sky a pass. (Unless you’re looking for something to practice editing skills on, in which case, have at it.) ( )
  TravelingMagpie | Jun 26, 2015 |
I received this free eARC from Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.

Yeah....... not so much. I was really looking forward to this after reading the synopsis, thinking that it was be a better, younger version of "Top Gun". And it might have been, but the author did extensive research, it seams, on pilot fighting and not enough time figuring out how to write pilot lingo into normal, every day readers wanting to enjoy this novel. Cause my brain is all confused about what I'm trying to read when the characters are talking about flying a fighter jet.

I think if it would have been written well enough for non-flying readers, it could have been a great novel to add to my collection, but I'm a lost muggle who can't figure out what the story is supposed to be because of the language barrier.

I think readers who are familiar with the flying world will be able to connect with this novel, but it was a bust for me. ( )
  JeracaFite | Apr 28, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A strong but lonely and flawed female protagonist striving to prove herself amongst the other teenagers in the air-force. Great characters but not so great storyline.

Opening Sentence: Speed turned her on.

The Review:

I haven’t read many books set in the Air Force, especially not one where the cadets are teenagers training for a war. I’ve seen a lot of great reviews about this book, I’ve even heard that it is being considered for a TV/film but I didn’t think it was all that great. It’s an unusual story and I guess as a movie it would be cool to watch in terms of racing streaker jets mixed in with teen romance, but in all honesty, there are so many other fantastic books out three that Breaking Sky wouldn’t be my first choice at a movie adaptation.

Although Breaking Sky is categorized as YA I thought there was some mature content and sexual innuendos suitable for older teens. Especially when it comes to Chase’s (aka Nyx) romantic conquests.

She could only imagine what Tanner would say. Actually, she could imagine exactly what he would say. “I’m the heartbreaker, is that what you’re hearing?”
“I believe Tanner Won used the term ‘Love Vampire.’”
“Jesus Christ.”

Nyx is suitably named after the daughter of chaos. Her short term relationships result in broken hearts everywhere and although she does feel bad afterwards, she prefers to keep everyone, including her best friend and co-pilot Pippin at arm’s length. But things change when Arrow arrives, and Chase is forced to deal with her deepest and darkest fears.

Considering the depressing topic of an impending war I was glad for the diverse characters, my favourites being Pippin, arch rival Sylph and of course the infamous Nyx. Initially, Arrow was fun to read about, particularly when we didn’t know much about him, just that he was the pilot of the Phoenix, and the only other teenage pilot who was faster than Nyx. However, when he became more of a main character, I wasn’t too impressed at his almost perfect character, sociable smart and charming. Without a doubt Nyx’s volatile personality outshined his.

“Why do you always use my whole name? It isn’t natural. You don’t see me yelling out, ‘Hey, Eugenia Ritz Crackers’ every five seconds.”
“I’ve asked you repeatedly not to call me ‘Crackers.’”
“Forces of habit.” Chase popped her knuckles while Ritz adjusted her glasses.
A good, old-fashioned standoff.

Dystopian books tend to be too fantastical to be believed, but Breaking Sky hits on a topic that probably isn’t too far from a possible future. There are and always have been wars between powerful countries, and to think that we could be at war again is scary but, unfortunately, could be true. The topics are relevant and it was interesting to see how young adults were dealing within such a tense environment and under enormous pressures.

There was a lot of flight-related language and pilot situations that I couldn’t quite grasp. Even though there was a lot of action and eventful scenes, the linkage between events wasn’t great and often bored me.

Overall, an action packed read, an ending that hints at a series but not one I’m likely to invest in.

Notable Scene:

“According to you, moving on from people is my forte.”

They picked their way through the mud before Pippin spoke.

“True. But, Chase, you don’t even care about them in the first place.” His word burned while his shoulder bumped hers in a forced friendly way.

She wanted to point out that he was wrong. She cared. She cared about everything so much that she often felt exposed. Falling. Grasping at the sky. That’s why she needed the speed. It made the very air something that she could hold on to.

FTC Advisory: Sourcebooks Fire provided me with a copy of Breaking Sky. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 15, 2015 |
Chase Harcourt, call sign Nyx (daughter of chaos) lives in the future world of the Second Cold War. China has taken over most of the world and cut the USA off from its allies, so its people are starving. Chase has been chosen to fly one of the top secret new planes called Streakers, that use teenage pilots due to their faster than average reflexes. With her wingman Pippin(Henry) Chase is one of those break all the rules kind of pilots (a la Top Gun) who hides a secret about her father. But Chase is not the only one with secrets, and in a tense world on the brink of world war three, the young cadets have their emotions and bodies pushed to the limit.
This book will appeal to fans of the "Tomorrow when the war began" series as many of the main characters are female, despite it being a brink-of-war situation. There is romance, humour, action, mystery and suspense which will make it very appealing to those 15 and up. My only criticism would be the overt USA patriotism, and although the enemy is called Ri Xiong Di, they are obviously China. That being said, I thought the author's twist that the US people might suffer the same fate as the Russians did in the Cold War quite clever. Unfortunately I would not purchase this for my school, as 25% are Chinese and may find it offensive. ( )
  nicsreads | Mar 31, 2015 |
BREAKING SKY by Cori McCarthy is a fast-paced, science fiction adventure focusing on an elite military program and a hotshot teen pilot testing an experimental jet.

It’s 2048 and America is on the verge of war. Chase is among a select group of daredevil pilots at the United Star Academy flying the “Streaker”, a top-secret prototype jet designed for teen pilots. The strong female protagonist and eclectic cast of characters will appeal to both male and female readers.

McCarthy’s skillful mix of heart-pounding fight sequence descriptions with authentic military comrade dialogue fit perfectly with the book’s themes. The cinematic writing style and non-stop action will appeal to the video game generation.

Librarians and young adult readers alike will immediately see connections to books like Ender’s Game and movies like Top Gun. The futuristic military theme will be popular with fans of dystopian science fiction. The hint of romance and family drama will add to the appeal.

This young adult novel has been optioned by Sony Pictures as a movie, so this title will be popular for awhile. It’s likely that Breaking Sky will kickstart renewed interest in the military, science fiction thriller sub-genre.

Learn more about the author at http://www.corimccarthy.com/.

Published by Sourcebook Fire on March 10, 2015. ( )
  eduscapes | Mar 29, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,122,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible