All We Have Is Now by Lisa Schroeder

All We Have Is Now

by Lisa Schroeder

"What do you do with your last day on earth? Just over twenty-four hours are left until an asteroid strikes North America, and for Emerson and everyone else who didn't leave, the world will end. But Emerson's world already ended when she ran away from home last year. Since then, she has lived on the streets, relying on her wits and on her fiend Vince to help her find places to sleep and food to eat. The city's quieter now that most people are gone, and no seems to know what to do as the end approaches. But then Emerson and Vince meet Carl, who tells them that he has been granting peoples' wishes -- and gives them his wallet full of money.
Suddenly, this last day seems full of possibility. Emerson and Vince can grant a lot of wishes in one last day --maybe even their own" (book jacket).
Engaging, sweet story of two teens who try to come to terms with the asteroid destined to hit their state within 24 hours. interspersed with poems centering on the themes of the chapters. Vince, while a bit unreal as a totally altruistic supportive and all wise young man, is obviously who Emerson will end up with. Nevertheless, their escapades and those of the other lives they encounter in the Portland area are filled with pathos and emphasize "living in the now, in the moment". Definitely appeal to teen girls, at least. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 12, 2016 |
The world is coming to an end, and two teens are going to make the last of their time count. For being dystopian fiction, this managed to remain light-hearted and humorous. The connection that occurred between the protaganists of the story, was heartwarming, and there were many displays of unselfishness, that I found refreshing and enjoyable. Their journey through the chaotic and sometimes haunting streets of the last hours before the end of the world touched a humanity deep inside me. Would certainly recommend to any YA fan as an emotion provoking read. ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Jun 23, 2016 |
As two homeless teens get to a bridge to jump together to avoid waiting for an asteroid predicted to wipe out most of the US, lower Mexico and upper Canada, they run into a man at the same bridge. Seeing them, this man climbs down and says he has been granting wishes for people when he could and before he goes, he'd like to know if he could do anything for them. The teen boy, Vince, answers he'd love to feel rich and he, along with his friend Emerson, get a wallet full of cash. Emerson runs, not wanting to witness this mans death and she realizes for the first time death is real. And its coming soon. With no other ideas, the two teens set off to do as the man suggested and try to fulfill others wishes. Who knew that for these two homeless teens that what is predicted as the end of their world would be the beginning of an adventure full of more fun, honesty, and figuring out who they are, not to mention really live for the first time...too bad that two astronomers found that asteroid.
A wonderful book that brings different perspectives without chaos or confusion; that shows what life is truly about. A must read, top 10 book! ( )
  eeminxs | May 27, 2016 |
I'll come back and write a better review later but for now I just want to say I quite enjoyed this book. What a refreshing change from the dark, dismal, tense, predictable dystopian fiction! ( )
  Merryann | May 25, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A tedious countdown until doomsday.

Opening Sentence: NO ONE saw it coming.

The Review:

I thought this book would never end. I hate giving one star ratings but boy was this the longest read ever, which is ironic since the story is based on time running out.

All We Have Is Now is essentially a countdown until the asteroid hits America and they all die. The story focuses on how Vince and Emerson spend their last few hours and the lives they touch along the way. The two teenagers have survived living on the streets for the last few years so although they have never had much, their approach is ‘what do they have to lose?’

I sort of liked Vince and Emerson’s friendship but the chemistry and conversations felt forced. Emerson and Vince follow Carl’s lead (a stranger who grants Vince’s wish and hands him his wallet of money) and decide that since their time is limited, they will spend their last few hours to grant other people’s final wishes. A nice enough thought but I can’t really imagine two kids doing this when all hell is breaking loose.

As Vince turns the corner and heads down the road, he says, “When you hug them, you’ll be glad.”
“How do you know for sure?”
“Because no one regrets a hug. You only regret not giving one when you had the chance and didn’t take it.”

The moral of the story is touching; appreciate everything you have, make the most of your life and no regrets. The problem was that I found it so boring and unrealistic. I was literally skim reading parts of the book because a countdown until they all die with no hope of survival is depressing- even with my standards!

It wasn’t entirely bad; I liked the linkage of characters and event, how one action impacted a complete stranger’s life and so on. Carl was one such character. If he hadn’t met Emerson and Vince on the bridge, they could have all committed suicide and that would have been the end of their tales. But his one action had a domino effect, almost like their meeting was fate. I thought that aspect of fate/destiny sparked some magic into the story. I also enjoyed some of the poems in the book.

It’s like a song that
and the voices
wash away the pain.

They have each other,
and it’s all they need.

However, despite the pros, the ending was awful. I was so disappointed in the way it was told because it was rushed and left the reader with many unanswered questions. Without revealing any spoilers, the ending reaffirmed my decision to give this a one-star rating! But as I always say, just because this book isn’t for me doesn’t mean you won’t like it. :-)

Notable Scene:

“You know that saying, ‘Ignorance is bliss’?” she asks him.

“Yes.”

“Well, sometimes ignorance is also necessary for one’s sanity. And since it’s one of the few things I have in my possession at the moment, I’m not quite ready to give that up.”

FTC Advisory: Point/Schlastic provided me with a copy of All We Have is Now. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 15, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible