House of Echoes by Brendan Duffy

House of Echoes (2015)

by Brendan Duffy

Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: House of Echoes is a more modern, less misogynistic Harvest Home.
    I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir (sturlington)
    sturlington: Moving to an isolated place to restore an old house as a bed and breakfast is always a bad idea.
    The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman (JessyHere)
    JessyHere: Similar small town history that consumes the whole town.

I couldn't have asked for a more boring horror/thriller story. This is one of those books that I found it hard to pick up anytime I put the book down, which was often. It's slow and plodding. Nothing held my interest. It wasn't scary. I can't remember the exact page I stopped on but it was past 100 and nothing had happened yet. Maybe I'll give it another try when I'm in the mood for a slow book. Probably not, though. ( )
  cosiari | Jun 7, 2017 |
There is no way that House of Echoes by Brendan Duffy can be a debut book! I had to get that out of the way from the gate! This book is so well-written and is bursting with a dark & creepy, tension-filled vibe that causes the reader to assume that the author has been writing forever.

The setting for this book is right out of a Gothic horror story. It has all the elements that you can expect will scare the crap out of you! When I first read the summary about the troubled family with the dilapidated old mansion in the middle of nowhere I immediately said "Sign me up!!" This book is exactly what a reader like me searches for!

Mr Duffy knows exactly what it takes to keep us reading. He has that powerful skill of building the suspense and keeping the reader on the edge of our seat. The characters are so realistic that I almost felt like I was spying on an unsuspecting neighbor as I was reading! This is a truly unsettling story and I think any person who loves a good thriller will devour this one!

I would like to thank the author for this incredible book, and also NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to review it. I have actually bought 2 copies of this book since reviewing it and have given them as gifts. And as any fellow reader knows, this is the biggest compliment you can give to an author. Grab House of Echoes today. It is a perfect read for a a cold and gloomy Autumn day! ( )
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |
House of Echos is a dark and enjoyable gothic style novel, mixing history and mysterious modern day events. A family leaves the hustle and bustle of the city to start a new life in a run down house in a small town. Everyone knows each other, and newcomers are not welcomed with open arms. There is a sense of foreboding from the first pages. You know something is wrong but you don't know what it is. Mysteries from past events that happened in the house are connected to mysteries of the present by a series of letters written from Bess to her sister in 1776. The atmosphere is very mysterious and filled with apprehension.

I really enjoyed this book and I think it's an excellent debut from an author with a great future in this genre. It's a mixture of horror story and a mystery. The whole book echoes anxiety and is filled with tension. This is a well written horror book that keeps the reader guessing until the final pages. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 29, 2016 |
From Amazon:

In this enthralling and atmospheric thriller, one young family’s dream of a better life is about to become a nightmare. Ben and Caroline Tierney and their two young boys are hoping to start over. Ben has hit a dead end with his new novel, Caroline has lost her banking job, and eight-year-old Charlie is being bullied at his Manhattan school.

When Ben inherits land in the village of Swannhaven, in a remote corner of upstate New York, the Tierneys believe it’s just the break they need, and they leave behind all they know to restore a sprawling estate. But as Ben uncovers Swannhaven’s chilling secrets and Charlie ventures deeper into the surrounding forest, strange things begin to happen. The Tierneys realize that their new home isn't the fresh start they needed . . . and that the village’s haunting saga is far from over.

My Thoughts:

It was a first novel for this author. The book had a great premise, but the creepiness factor is just not creepy enough. There aren't any scares...no bumps in the night...the anticipation is there but nothing comes off. With the history of the town and the villagers and the happenings at the house and surrounding area there was plenty of chances to present chills and goosebumps but it din't happen and the events really didn't connect with each other that well. The whole book comes off disjointed, like it should have been 100 pages shorter while having a narrower focus. The historical events and conversations surrounding them would've been more effective had they been more succinct and less cryptic. After all that has been said, I do believe this author has talent, and I'll probably read his future works. We all have to begin somewhere. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Ben and Caroline are starting over with an old house in upstate New York. The plan is to restore this house and have an Inn for travelers. This old estate holds more secrets and mysteries than they plan on.

This is unique and twisted tale. The history of the area, the history of the house, Charlie's adventures, all of this envelopes the reader and takes hold. Are you reading a ghost story, a history story or a horror story. The author spectacularly weaves a tale full of anxiety and tension. I literally had to pause several times to take a breath. I had no idea where this story was headed. The anticipation built throughout the novel is brilliant.

I enjoyed the setting of the house and grounds. I wanted so badly to see a picture of the house just to see if it matched what I envisioned. The characters are, I hate to use the word unique again, but they are...unique. The only reason I am not giving this a 5 star rating is the son, Charlie. His dialogue and interactions are not consistent. One minute he almost acts too adult and the next too childish.

I am looking forward to more from this author. If you need a thriller to keep you up at night.....THIS IS IT!!

I received this novel from Netgalley for a honest review ( )
  fredreeca | Apr 5, 2016 |
There were times in each day when Ben believed a happier life waited only for them to claim it.

When Ben inherits land in the village of Swannhaven, in a remote corner of upstate New York, the Tierneys believe it’s just the break they need, and they leave behind all they know to restore a sprawling estate. But as Ben uncovers Swannhaven’s chilling secrets and Charlie ventures deeper into the surrounding forest, strange things begin to happen. The Tierneys realize that their new home isn’t the fresh start they needed . . . and that the village’s haunting saga is far from over.

House of Echoes is a novel that shows how sometimes the ties that bind us are the only things that can keep us whole.

Advance praise for House of Echoes

“Brendan Duffy’s House of Echoes is one of those wonderful stories that come along only once in a while, a beautifully nuanced and riveting family drama set within a terrifying landscape that has you turning pages long past bed time. But keep the light burning and read to the end. That’s when you realize you’ve been in the hands of a very clever storyteller, and that what you thought you’d been reading was all along something else.”—Carla Buckley, author of The Deepest Secret

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:27 -0400)

"A young New York City couple with a boy and a baby in tow, Ben and Caroline Tierney had it all...until Ben's second novel missed the mark, Caroline lost her lucrative banking job, and something went wrong with 8-year-old Charlie. When Ben inherits land way upstate from his grandmother, the two of them began to believe in second chances. But upon arriving in Swannhaven, a town that seems to have been forgotten by time, they're beset by strange sights and disconcerting developments...and they begin to realize they might have made their worst mistake yet. But what dark secret is buried in this odd place? And will Ben and Caroline figure it out soon enough to save their young family?"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Brendan Duffy's book House of Echoes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible