The Kingdom Lights by Steven VS

The Kingdom Lights

by Steven VS

7-10 (1) ebook (1) fantasy (3) magic (1) my-books (1) on-my-kindle (1) read (1) reviewed (1) sf (1) steampunk (1) to-read (5)

Great idea but poorly executed. Too long-winded with too many characters without back stories , huge plot holes that are semi-filled in three chapters later or not at all!. With tight editing and reworking, this could have been a great book, but it hasn't been edited properly so it was tedious in getting to the point. Sorry, I cannot recommend this one. ( )
  nicsreads | Apr 9, 2015 |
This novel had a lot of potential and I was really excited to read it based on the blurb but it unfortunately left me disappointed.

It's clear that the author fully understands how his world worked but I didn't feel that this information was relayed to the reader very effectively. There is little by way of descriptive writing in the story and I was left with little idea of what characters and places looked like or the level of technology that the world had. The magic system was not explained until two thirds of the way through the story and even then I was not given much of an impression of its limitations and factions (such as the Lunar Guards and Caridan’s Order) were name dropped but the novel never explored who they were or what they believed in. I wasn't even sure what the Wardens were rebelling against. I know they disliked the status quo but I was never clear as to why.

The novel's plot was also kind of bland. While it wasn't boring, it took a lot of ideas from both the Harry Potter series (12 year old boy discovers magical powers and goes to wizard school / league of Dark Wizards determined to overthrow the current order and reform the world) and Final Fantasy (the summon magic system, the Wisps looking and acting like Black Mages, racing giant flightless birds and a cameo from a character named Cid). I know that some people can overlook a lack of originality but, for me, this was distracting. The references to other works drew my attention away from the more original aspects of the world.

The characters were also a little flat and unengaging. The cast of the story was massive but characters often were introduced before disappearing for large stretches of time (Arthur is a prime example of this). Those that left received little by the way of development. We were told little bits about them, such as Jakus's love for Juliette and Zephyr's shyness, but did not really see the characters receiving any development towards resolving their personal problems. Even Celes came across as being a bit of a Gary-Stu. He possessed incredible magic but we were never told why. Perhaps this will be explained in a later book but it just made him seem absurdly over-powered within this story.

All in all, this novel had some nice ideas but did not do enough to develop them. I really hope that this is resolved in a future book as, beneath all the unoriginal aspects of this plot, there were some real gems of originality that just scream for development. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Mar 10, 2015 |
My wife reviewed this book and told me, in no uncertain terms, that I definitely would not like this book. "Too much exposition for you," she said. So, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I found this book interesting. It was a nice Young Adult story, about a young boy coming of age, and learning of the magic he possesses.

The problem with this book is that the story just wasn't interesting enough for me to care. Nobody was going to die. There wasn't any real fear in this story. No real dangerous conflict. I really found no real urgency throughout the entire book. Nothing to dare me to read further. Nothing really compelling.

But is it any good? Lets put it this way: It's not bad. And hey, thats more than I can say for lots of other books. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
I have very mixed feelings about this book that, unfortunately, lean towards the negative. While the plot, pacing, and quality of writing were all good, the overall story felt like Harry Potter fan fiction, or maybe just a condensed rip-off of the series altogether. I love Harry Potter, but I get extremely irritated when authors take a great book or series or whatever, change the names and details just enough to avoid plagiarism, and then sell it as their own. Steven V.S. made enough changes, basically playing a game of opposites, for me to question if that's what he did, but then almost immediately say to myself, "No, that's [fill in Harry Potter character or plot point], I KNOW it is!" It was aggravating enough to make it difficult for me to stay in the world of The Kingdom Lights. Now, if he had somehow taken the Harry Potter story and made it better, or at least equally as great, then I'd be much more forgiving. However, that's not the case. If you put this book toe to toe with Harry Potter, it will be found wanting.

If you don't care about reading a knock-off, and you love Fantasy, especially Middle-Grade or Urban Fantasy, then feel free to give this book the chance I don't feel it really deserves. Try to find it at your local public library, instead of buying it. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Mar 4, 2015 |
I received an electronic copy of this book in exchange for a review.

Excellent world-building here. The complexity of this world is staggering, but it's revealed subtly, with references to greater mysteries yet to be told.

The story is of a boy who has magic power unlocked and who then becomes a student in a higher society. Both lauded for this extraordinary achievement and discriminated against for his lowly background, he manages to stay afloat in his new circumstances. But there's a larger plot afoot here than just his schooling and it's quite possibly one that could take his life and that of everyone else he knows. Feeling that he wouldn't be believed if he tried to get help from the authorities, he and his friends must somehow stop the plot from occurring -- which is much more difficult when they're not even entirely sure what the plot is!

There's almost too much world-building; I lost sight of the story at a few points. The plot itself is delightfully twisty; the ending of it was a surprise to me. ( )
  deshanya | Oct 21, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0990314847, Perfect Paperback)

In a world where cities float, airships sail the skies and mythical creatures are summoned in a pinch, Celes Vale is distinctly average. Living in the shadow of his talented cousin and his powerful aunt and uncle, Celes is resigned to a future of soot, factories and well, more soot.

But on the night of his twelfth birthday everything changes. A blinding light, a whispered voice and in an instant Celes becomes the first ordinary child in history to develop magic, sending him on a fast-track ticket to the greatest of the floating cities, Gardarel. Boasting grand, elegant buildings wrought from shimmering white stone, the entire city appears as though it has been built from light, and so it has come to be called the Kingdom Lights.

Though some welcome Celes, others want the dirt-ridden up-start off their city—preferably head first. Nowhere is this clearer than in the attitude and actions of the beautiful and haughty Lady Ban and her sneering nephew, Marcus Blackwood. But Blackwood, with his gang of goons and unimaginative one-liners, is soon the least of Celes’s problems.

With a little magic and a lot of detective work, Celes and his group of Scurriers and Wisps unravel the dark truth behind Lady Ban’s prim, perfect smile—an alliance to the villainous Wardens and the masked man who leads them. However, in his attempt to expose Lady Ban, Celes unwittingly stumbles onto an even darker conspiracy—a plan that could lead to the complete destruction of Gardarel itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

Steven VS is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,008,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible