The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika…

The Invasion of the Tearling (2015)

by Erika Johansen

Series: Queen of the Tearling (2)

English (41)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (43)
This was quite good. The intertwining of Kelsea and Lily's story gave an insight to the world that was not there in The Queen of the Tearling. While the plot is slow and the book is dense, it's more A Song of Ice and Fire more than anything else. Now, I found ASOIAF hard to read (I haven't even finished A Feast for Crows and Invasion of the Tearling because of the rather slow-paced fantasy plot.

All in all, deep insight into the characters. There were a few issues I am picking out; we hear about Kelsea's temper a lot but it's rarely shown on a regular basis. I feel like Johansen wrote in self-injury and rape as shock factor and the plot could have done without it. And I still need more explanation on how society got from one rapidly moving towards equality to a strict patriarchy, and how the rest of the world was doing. But all in all, I enjoyed this book. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
Kelsea starts becoming such a badass in book 1, which is part of what makes the second book so frustrating. Not only does it become increasingly clear she is going to make a horrible bargain with the devil (like I think he honestly is a demon), but she also becomes ridiculously obsessed with the Fetch and decides to hook up with someone she isn’t particularly into because he rejects her. FOR LIKE THE 30TH TIME. Someone get this girl a copy of He’s Just Not That Into You. The Fetch is even more of a dickbag in book 2, and not in an “I know it’s wrong, but I like it anyway” type of situation.
Additionally, the plot alternates between Kelsea’s storyline and the introduction of a previously unmentioned pre-Crossing character, Lily. It’s hard not to feel bad for Lily, who is constantly victimized by a dystopian, Handmaid’s Tale­-type society where women have almost no rights. However, it’s also really hard to actually like Lily, who remains completely oblivious to the suffering of those around her for a fucking long time.
This book also reminds you that the, ahem, hero who led everyone over in the Crossing thought it was a good strategy to put EVERY doctor and EVERY piece of medical equipment on one fucking ship…that SANK. Brilliant plan, dude.
Also there’s the big reveal of a time travel thing that doesn’t make a ton of sense.
I did at least finish both books, and I will more than likely pick up the last one because I really want to know what happens (erm, mostly to the Mace).
However, I couldn’t help feeling the specifics of the Crossing hadn’t been hammered out before the series was written, making for a rather disjointed story in book 2 with some frankly desperate plot twists. ( )
  jsheilas | Oct 13, 2017 |
....... Well, that was even more painful than the first book with even fewer questions answered. (Or on the off chance a question was answered, it was wholly underwhelming.)

A lot of attempts at talking about social justice but no attempts at NOT being super gross and one scene after another depicting violence against women.

Nope nope nope nope nope. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I read (well, heard) the first in this series three years ago, so I was a bit hazy on the details of what happened in the first story. This one seemed much stronger: I really liked the switching between Lily's life and Kelsea's. I had been listening to the book on my commute, but was enjoying it so much that I borrowed the hard copy from the library so that I could devour the rest of it at reading speed (much, much, faster!). I might have to call in at the library tomorrow and get the last one... ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
I enjoyed the continuation of Kelsea's journey. Her relationships with others deepened with complexity & wit. Her inner struggles weaved deftly through the plot; her moment of triumph felt sweet. My only complaints are the back-and-forth between two different characters, and the violence, which seemed a bit more gratuitous than necessary this time. Still, I'm excited to discover how Kelsea's — and her people's — story will conclude! ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |

Erika Johansenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ze heeft de kroon.
Nu moet ze haar koninkrijk redden...
Ieder kind zou zo iemand als Barty moeten hebben,
Dit boek is voor mijn vader, Curt Johansen
"The Second Mort Invasion had all the makings of a slaughter""

The evil kingdom of Mortmesne invades the Tearling, with dire consequences for Kelsea and her realm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,362,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible