The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by…

The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game (2006)

by Michael Lewis

2,050903,250 (4)49

I feel slightly misled by this one: I thought it was going to be a biography of a kid that comes from nothing and becomes a big sports star. And it was sort of. I just wasn't expecting the mounds of information about American football. As an Australian and not at all sports orientated I did skip through at least four (probably more) chapters that were totally irrelevant and mind bogglingly dull (for me). Which I'm sure anyone with interest in the game would get something out of. Having said that the parts of the book I read we're well written and I came away with a good sense of the people and place involved. The social and religious issues the story raised will be relevant for many years to come sadly. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
What's not to love about the story of a poor black kid raised by a rich white family? But unlike the sad fates that befell the two poor black kids in Diff'rent Strokes, the kids in this true-life story have it much better. I saw the movie first, and found that the book told a much more inspirational story. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
The first half is a feel good story. The second half gets into the complexities of the situation. ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
This is one of the great biographies that can truly claim the "rags to riches" accomplishment. Michael's struggles tied my stomach in knots of pity at times, but that just made his success much sweeter to experience.

This is a must read for all students that would be a great novel to feature in the library during football season or in an English class for studying biographical works. ( )
  MagLuCliff | Mar 7, 2016 |
So good!!!! Love it!!! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
For Starling Lawrence -- Underpaid guardian of the author's blind side.
From the snap of the ball to the snap of the bone is closer to four seconds than to five.

"Lewis has such a gift for storytelling...he writes as lucidly for sports fans as for those who read him for other reasons."—Janet Maslin, New York Times

One day Michael Oher will be among the most highly paid athletes in the National Football League. When we first meet him, he is one of thirteen children by a mother addicted to crack; he does not know his real name, his father, his birthday, or how to read or write. He takes up football, and school, after a rich, white, evangelical family plucks him from the streets. Then two great forces alter Oher: the family's love and the evolution of professional football itself into a game in which the quarterback must be protected at any cost. Our protagonist becomes the priceless package of size, speed, and agility necessary to guard the quarterback's greatest vulnerability: his blind side. This paperback edition contains a brand-new 2007 afterword.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:56 -0400)

Follows one young man from his impoverished childhood with a crack-addicted mother, through his discovery of the sport of football, to his rise to become one of the most successful, highly-paid players in the NFL.

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039306123X, 0393330478, 039333838X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 685 books! | Top bar: Always visible