The Blind Side: The Evolution of a Game…

The Blind Side: The Evolution of a Game [Audio] (2006)

by Michael Lewis

This was a very good book. Half inspiring biography and half a history of the left tackle position in football, Lewis ties the two stories together quite well for an interesting and touching read. A good deal like the movie, but with its difference as well. The book is always better. ;) ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The Blind Side By: Michael Lewis

In the story the "Blind Side," a future football star, Michael Oher, goes through challenges while growing up. He has no place to eat or sleep most of the time, and is one of the most uneducated people you will ever meet. While walking down the street one day, his life takes a huge turn. He is picked up by one of his high school football coaches. While living with them he learns new thing that any average teenager is already knows. His grades improve and his life is great, until the NCAA comes to question his family for why they adopted him. Did they do it for love, or did they do it to persuade one of the best offensive lineman to commit to their alma mater. Read it and Find out.

Overall a great book.
  RSufyan | Mar 25, 2014 |
If you don't like football, I would not suggest reading this book. I had to read it for a Sociology course in which my professor assured us it was less about sports and more about really important, hard-hitting sociological points. I found it was mostly about football and I didn't really feel connected to Michael Oher's character at all. I wanted to understand his life, how he grew up, and who he was as a person, but overall I felt he was portrayed as a tool for others' gains, whether through football, protection, or trust. I felt he had been used and it was never even addressed by the author as a problem. Maybe this isn't the author's fault at all. Maybe that's exactly how things happened. But to me he was portrayed as a guy without much formal education who was strung along with promises of love and acceptance in order to do what everyone else wanted him to do (not to mention the implications of the racial dynamics if this were indeed the case). I just felt empty after finishing it, having these issues never specifically addressed by the author. ( )
  CareBear36 | Mar 8, 2014 |
If you see the movie before your read the book then you'll be in for a big surprise. The movie is about Michael Oher being rescued from poverty by a wealthy family before being picked by the NFL. The book is essentially about the rise of the defensive linesmen role in football, the high school recruitment program, AND about how a sport-loving family generously adopt Michael Oher and send him to Ole Miss, their alma-mater, and get the NAACP to question their adoption.

I enjoyed the movie - it's heartwarming and inspirational, showing you Oher as a positive role model (and all thanks to the Tuohy's generosity, it seems..) - but the book is another thing. I've never known that reading about football stats could be entertaining, and we have to thank Michael Lewis for that. He takes us to the world of professional sports and the recruiters who all look for the next great player from a select few of high school footballers. He introduces us to Tom Lemming, who publishes newsletter about up-and-coming football talents - some of them would later be drafted by the NFL when they graduate from universities.

The book is also about the Tuohy's care for Michael, once a foster care student with an IQ of 80, and how they eventually became a family. ( )
  pwlifter300 | Feb 12, 2014 |
This story is based on a true story about a kid named mike oher. Mike is a big tough guy that lived in the ghetto. He was living a very tough life, he didn't do we'll all in school. But the one thing he is very good at is sports.

Mike is taken in by Leigh Anne who try's to give him an opportunity to succeed in sports and in life. She goes all out in helping mike in football, even giving the coaches ideas to help the team get better! She also hires a tutor to help mike bring his grades up a lot. And by helping his grades go up, mike got a scholarship to a college. And after college he got drafted in the NFL!

I thought this was one of the best books I have ever read! I loved it because it was all about football and football is my favorite sport. Also it was very interesting through out the whole book. And I liked how mike was like a under dog but at the end he came through, worked his hardiest, and succeeded at the end! ( )
  br14bifa | Dec 1, 2013 |
For Starling Lawrence -- Underpaid guardian of the author's blind side.
From the snap of the ball to the snap of the bone is closer to four seconds than to five.

"Lewis has such a gift for storytelling...he writes as lucidly for sports fans as for those who read him for other reasons."—Janet Maslin, New York Times

One day Michael Oher will be among the most highly paid athletes in the National Football League. When we first meet him, he is one of thirteen children by a mother addicted to crack; he does not know his real name, his father, his birthday, or how to read or write. He takes up football, and school, after a rich, white, evangelical family plucks him from the streets. Then two great forces alter Oher: the family's love and the evolution of professional football itself into a game in which the quarterback must be protected at any cost. Our protagonist becomes the priceless package of size, speed, and agility necessary to guard the quarterback's greatest vulnerability: his blind side. This paperback edition contains a brand-new 2007 afterword.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:47 -0400)

Follows one young man from his impoverished childhood with a crack-addicted mother, through his discovery of the sport of football, to his rise to become one of the most successful, highly-paid players in the NFL.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Three editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039306123X, 0393330478, 039333838X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible