The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by…

The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game (2006)

by Michael Lewis

2,031833,294 (4)50
Recently added bymelopher, private library, INorris, Koren56, ccindyy, Lisarszym, a004358, ricklucio

I really liked the movie, which I saw first, but I REALLY liked this book! So much more detail about the football side of things, and the history behind it! I loved Michael Oher's story, but I also loved reading about how Bill Walsh and the Niners figured into it, as well as L.T. and the Giants, Steve Wallace, and Jonathan Ogden. Good read! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
I did not like this book as much as others who have reviewed it. There were inspirational moments, but for me they were overshadowed by other elements which I found to be less enjoyable in the reading of this true story. I would like to hear others' opinions of this work. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
What an amazing book! The true story of Michael Oher, who is “adopted” by the Tuohy’s, an affluent white family in Memphis. I am not a football fan but the description of the game and the NFL process in this book was interesting non-the-less. The story of Michael’s life is amazing but this book is so much more. It a social commentary on the educational system, on learning disabilities, on sports stereotyping, the invisible poor adjacent to affluent communities and the strength of one woman to combat all of this for something she believes in. Michael Oher’s story has been covered before in FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS but this book takes the story to a more personal level. I hope the movie does the book justice. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Michel Oher ( )
  chenlow | May 30, 2015 |
I loved the movie, but the book ruined it for me. The family comes across as paternalistic and opportunistic, while Michael is just a boy who needs help. At the end of the day, there is a reason why the NCAA qualifying GPA was the magical number to reach. Overall, I was left upset and annoyed by the book, where there was none of the soul searching that redeems the parents somewhat in the movie. Also, there was too much about the technicalities and recent historical developments in football. ( )
  TiffanyAK | May 1, 2015 |
For Starling Lawrence -- Underpaid guardian of the author's blind side.
From the snap of the ball to the snap of the bone is closer to four seconds than to five.

"Lewis has such a gift for storytelling...he writes as lucidly for sports fans as for those who read him for other reasons."—Janet Maslin, New York Times

One day Michael Oher will be among the most highly paid athletes in the National Football League. When we first meet him, he is one of thirteen children by a mother addicted to crack; he does not know his real name, his father, his birthday, or how to read or write. He takes up football, and school, after a rich, white, evangelical family plucks him from the streets. Then two great forces alter Oher: the family's love and the evolution of professional football itself into a game in which the quarterback must be protected at any cost. Our protagonist becomes the priceless package of size, speed, and agility necessary to guard the quarterback's greatest vulnerability: his blind side. This paperback edition contains a brand-new 2007 afterword.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:56 -0400)

Follows one young man from his impoverished childhood with a crack-addicted mother, through his discovery of the sport of football, to his rise to become one of the most successful, highly-paid players in the NFL.

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039306123X, 0393330478, 039333838X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,178,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible