The Half Brother by Holly LeCraw

The Half Brother

by Holly LeCraw

I always love novels about private schools and this one was just my happy kind of reading. Although you can guess where the story might be going as you approach the ending, there is no guarantee. I'm looking for the other novel by this author right now. ( )
  nyiper | Feb 17, 2016 |
The people in this book - particularly the main character, Charlie - lie, dissemble, do not hold themselves or anybody else accountable, and generally act in ways that are annoying and disgusting. The author does not flesh out her characters very well, and hence I found myself not really caring about them, and frankly regarding most of them with disgust and dislike. May - or "May-May" as Charlie likes to call her (really??) - rarely can seem to articulate well-formed thoughts. "Charlie" she constantly says - just that, "Charlie" - plaintively, sadly, full of reproach, remonstrating, sighing. I felt like shaking her. And don't get me started on Nicky - the half-brother of the title - what a jerk (I'd use a much stronger word to describe him, but this is a family forum). The author wrote in such a hazy and elliptical way at times that it was hard to make sense of what she was trying to get across. And the ending! Talk about writing a rosy denouement so that Charlie and "May-May" could be together - give me a break. Really lazy on the author's part. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Aug 11, 2015 |
I read until chapter 6 but it never did get better for me. The dialog between the characters just wasn't interesting. These people were not leading lives I wanted to read more about. I didn't finish this book because I was anxious to move on to the next in my TBR stack. Thank you for the opportunity to try a new author though. ( )
  NickiSlater | Feb 8, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385531958, Hardcover)

A passionate, provocative story of complex family bonds and the search for identity set amid the ivy-covered walls of a New England boarding school

When Charlie Garrett arrives as a young teacher at the shabby-yet-genteel Abbott School, he finds a world steeped in privilege and tradition. Fresh out of college and barely older than the students he teaches, Charlie longs to leave his complicated southern childhood behind and find his place in the rarefied world of Abbottsford. Before long, he is drawn to May Bankhead, the daughter of the legendary school chaplain; but when he discovers he cannot be with her, he forces himself to break her heart, and she leaves Abbott—he believes forever. He hunkers down in his house in the foothills of Massachusetts, thinking his sacrifice has contained the damage, and controlled their fates.
     But nearly a decade later, his peace is shattered when his golden-boy half brother, Nick, comes to Abbott to teach—and May returns as a teacher as well. Students and teachers alike are drawn by Nick’s magnetism, and even May falls under his spell; when Charlie pushes his brother and his first love together, with what he believes are the best of intentions, a love triangle ensues that is haunted by desire, regret, and a long-buried mystery.
     With wisdom and emotional generosity, LeCraw takes us through a year that transforms both the teachers and students of Abbott forever. Skillfully plotted, lyrical, and ambitious, The Half Brother is a powerful examination of family, loyalty, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,901,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible