If the Shoe Kills by Lynn Cahoon

If the Shoe Kills

by Lynn Cahoon

This book is one of three I’ve recently won which had been offered as part of an internet giveaway by the publisher and the following is my honest opinion for this book.

This story takes place in the relatively small tourist town of South Clove, California. Who doesn’t love these quaint small towns, I know I do; especially the small stores which populate towns like this. As I read this book images of the television program “Murder She Wrote” kept popping into my mind. I saw Jill Gardner filling the shoes of crime author Jessica Fletcher; and like Jessica, Jill is involving with books, she sells them instead of writing them.

And like Cabot Cove, Maine where Jessica is the protagonist, there’s a lot of intriguing things happening with Jill taking on the role of the protagonist.

Being well-known and liked in South Clove, the mayor finagles Jill into becoming the town’s liaison to a new work program to benefit the town’s merchants for the holiday season. Jill first has to sell everyone on the plan, because they’re fearful that it would mean hiring the undesirables, undesirables who they’d never hired on their own. But, unfortunately, it would also mean having to work with a guy she knows all too well after a few interactions, Ted Hendricks.

However, soon he is found dead in his car, in front of the police office station; and while her hot detective boyfriend thinks it’s a suicide, Jill, like Jessica thinks a murder has taken place and sets out to prove it. If this isn’t enough, a ritzy blonde wants to sue the city for causing the heel on her shoe to break, interfering with the investigations to find the truth.

And like Jessica in Murder She Wrote, Ms Cahoon does a wonderful job in keeping the “surprise” murderer a secret to the end of the book. For this romantic mystery, I must now reveal my feelings for this book, which is 5 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Apr 21, 2015 |
In this third installment of the Tourist Trap Mystery series, as the Christmas season approaches, Jill Gardner is coordinating not only the interns for all the Main Street merchants in a work program but also an impromptu investigation into the murder of the work program director.

New mercyhants have moved into South Cove. Could they be at the center of the murder?

The reader hears more about the core characters as they broaden out and become people you'd like to visit.

Hoping the next one is out soon. ( )
1 vote cyderry | Dec 8, 2014 |
A special thank you to Kensington and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Lynn Cahoon is back with If the Shoe Kills (A Tourist Trap Mystery #3) with Jill, Aunt Jacklie, Greg the hot detective and love interest, and the gang at South Cove Merchant’s association.

This time when they try and do the right thing, all sorts of mischief and happenings as they prepare for the Christmas season; from small town dirty politics, murder, a not so pleasant mayor, a work program which turns deadly, an ex-wife, Santa, and a new store owner, Marie Jones of The Glass Slipper.

Set in South Cove, California, Jill runs the Coffee, Books, and More, and heads up the merchant association. A lot of small town business owners who like to have their nose in everyone’s business, from the antiques shop, book shop, the winery, the B&B, the shoe shop, and the café.

This season, the mayor kind of pushes her to support a work program (interns) as a way to help out delinquents and store owners during the holiday season. (not a bright idea if they are into stealing or killing), or perhaps have ideas getting boozed up at Darla’s winery.

The worst part is the guy, Ted who heads up the welfare to work program, Work Today. Of course he quickly creates plenty of enemies and winds up dead. There are many who would like to see him dead and the investigation begins as to whether it was suicide or murder? A whodunit begins. Of course there is always drama when you get this group together with a capital D. In addition, Jill is the president of the I Hate the Mayor-Baylor Club.

If you enjoy a little murder mystery with your eggnog and the cozy small town charm, would recommend The Tourist Trap Mysteries.

Judith D. Collins Must Read Books ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2014 |
4 STARS

This is the third book in the Tourist Trap Mystery series. It has the familiar characters and some new ones too. I did not guess who the murder was. It also had some Christmas cheer. Good drama.

The setting is small town on the California coast called South Cove.

Jill Gardner owns Coffee, books, and more. Jill is involved in a lot of things. She dates Detective Greg King. She is always told to stay out of his murder cases.

Ted Hendricks is coming to down to bring some interns to work the Christmas season. He is a real jerk. People want to stay away from him.

Jill is planning a fund raiser to help some low income families to receive some books of their own and it keeps growing. What a good idea to help kids love to read. It made me want to help with it.

I enjoy this series and have now read the first three books of the series and look forward to reading the next one. It is a good clean cozy mystery series.

I was given this ebook to read by Net galley and Kensington Books. In return I agreed to give honest review of If the Shoe Kills. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Nov 12, 2014 |

Lynn Cahoon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible