Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often To…

Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often To Become a More Creative,…

by Carol Marine

The best way to improve your skills is to do some kind of art every single day.

[“Daily painters”] strive to paint frequently, without getting bogged down by perfectionism, procrastination, or any of the myriad things that keep us out of the studio.

This is an uplifting and beautiful book, filled with full-color (often full-page) images of artwork on smooth, heavy pages. (That the art happens to be to my taste is a bonus!) It’s also an informative book, with well-written, pleasingly organized text that explores the benefits of daily painting and then becomes a primer on technique with chapters on materials, subject matters, value, color, drawing/proportion and composition. It wraps up with half a dozen artists exploring artist’s block and then addresses some business matters like photographing paintings for online sale and how to increase online sales.

I’m a writer not a visual artist, but I follow Julia Cameron’s “Artist’s Way” philosophy and one of its hallmarks is the “Artist Date,” which is the pursuit of experiences that replenish the inner well of creativity. For me, this book is a terrific Artist Date. Not only does it fill me with colorful, evocative images and enhance my appreciation of visual art, but it allows me to get behind the scenes of a less-familiar (to me) artistic medium to explore some universal aspects of inspiration and creation.

(Review based on a copy of the book provided by the publisher.) ( )
  DetailMuse | Jul 17, 2016 |
Book Review: Daily Painting by Carol Marine

book-review-daily-painting-by-carol-marinePaint Small and Often to Become a More Creative, Productive, and Successful Artist

Between both the title and the subtitle, they give an accurate picture of what this book is about—how daily painting a small sized canvas will help you to become a more successful artist (that is, sell more work, make more money).

Almost every page has beautiful full color, good quality photos.

Daily Painting has lots of inspiration and encouragement to help you paint more often. Explanations of all the many benefits of painting smaller and more often are also included.

This book is comprehensive. It includes general painting guidelines and how to-s for choosing materials, color mixing, values, perspectives, and composition. Also included are chapters on taking photos of your work and up to date information on how to sell your work online. If there’s something important missing, I don’t know what it is.

To top all this great stuff off, also included in this book are several articles from other artists on various relevant topics dispersed throughout.

If you are a visual artist and need some inspiration to paint more often or information on how to sell more of your work online, this book is for you.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group as part of their blogging for books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  cherylcope | Feb 18, 2015 |
Carol Marine is an art instructor and she wants you to paint. She wants you to paint not only because it will probably do you good, she wants you to paint and make some money from it too, which will probably also do you some good.

Daily Painting is a bit like Lightning Chess. Play chess fast and often and you get better at it. Same with painting or any other art or skill. Practice practice practice. The key to Daily Painting is doing it every day (duh) and the key to completing a painting every day is to work small – 6 x 8 inches or thereabouts.

Ms Marine teaches you the technical parts of making small paintings and she teaches quite thoroughly. She also recommends books for further study. She even gives you tips on how to sell your work online. I, who have never lifted a brush, wanted to rush out and try it after reading this book.

I received a review copy of Daily Painting by Carol Marine (Ten Speed Press) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Nov 4, 2014 |

Do you want to bring the joy back into your art?

Have you landed in a frustrating rut? Are you having trouble selling paintings in galleries, getting bogged down by projects you can’t seem to finish or abandon, or finding excuses to avoid working in the studio? Author Carol Marine knows exactly how you feel—she herself suffered from painter’s block, until she discovered “daily painting.” The idea is simple: do art (usually small) often (how often is up to you), and if you’d like, post and sell it online. Soon you’ll find that your block dissolves and you’re painting work you love—and more of it than you ever thought possible!

With her encouraging tone and useful exercises, Marine teaches you to:
-Master composition and value
-Become confident in any medium
-Choose subjects wisely
-Stay fresh and loose
-Photograph, post, and sell your art online
-Become connected to the growing movement of daily painters around the world

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:55 -0400)

"A unique system for jump-starting artistic creativity, encouraging experimentation and growth, and increasing sales for artists of all levels, from novices to professionals. Too many artists find themselves in a frustrating rut: unable to sell paintings hanging in galleries, bogged down by projects they can't finish or abandon, and using any excuse to avoid working in the studio. Author Carol Marine was herself suffering from painter's block--until she discovered "daily painting." The idea is simple: do art (usually small) often (how often is up to the individual) and, if you desire, post it and sell it online. Today Marine is among the best and most celebrated daily painters, and the curator of the popular online gallery dailypaintworks.com. In her debut, Daily Painting, Marine reveals the tips and tricks that helped her and other daily painters pick up the paintbrush and start creating beautiful, bountiful, marketable work"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,817,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible