Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 03: Torn by Joss…

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 03: Torn

by Joss Whedon, John Cassaday (Illustrator)

The x-men brought to their base fears - I laughed out loud over Logan & Hank!
Favorite though, is what brings them back into their minds:

Some pretty awesome evil in this volume. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
In the previous books, S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient Worlds Observation and Response Department) has been butting heads with S.H.I.E.L.D. S.W.O.R.D. has Ord, the alien who came to earth to kill the mutants because it was foretold that one of them--an X-Men--would be the end of their world. Right now he is locked up tight and Agent Brand of S.W.O.R.D. is trying to find a peaceful solution to the situation. Brand has an inside man in the X-Men headquarters. Meanwhile, Emma Frost has been talking with a mysterious group that turns out to be the Hellfire Club.

Kitty Pryde is having a hard time dealing with things and is having nightmares about losing people, even though she now has Peter back. Emma and Scott's relationship is rocky and Emma goes in and manipulates him using her powers into believing that his powers no longer work, so they don't. She lets in the rest of the Hellfire Club members and they all go to work on the others. There is something in the mansion that they want and with Charles gone they see a chance to get it.

This book is all about manipulation of the mind. Whedon does an excellent job of doing some manipulating of his own. It's also fun to see what happens to Wolverine. The dreamscapes are rather vividly drawn. It will be interesting to see where this comic will go on the concluding one titled Unstoppable. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jan 5, 2018 |
So, the X-Men are under attack from the inside again, only this time it's by psychics. This leads to some excessive silliness (Wolverine regressed to some childlike state, the Beast regressed to a mere beast), some interesting character studies on how people are defined and driven by their guilt and insecurities, and my very favorite X-Man, Kitty Pryde, plunged into a truly awful nightmare in order to manipulate her into using her powers on the intruders' behalf.

And finally, a cause for empathy for Emma Frost, who I've long hated. This, plus "Armor" starting to come into her self and Scott having a chance to be a badass even without his powers, distracts and starts to make up for the pain of Kitty's storyline. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
The copy of this I picked up has no indication of where it might come in a series. I was sure it was probably in the middle of something anyway, but I thought I'd give it a go, see if X-men is something I'm interested in following ('cause you know, it's not like I'm following enough already).

If you're already invested in the characters and know what's going on the story, then I think this would be a gut punch of a volume. There's some amazing stuff going on with Kitty Pryde, and all of the X-men are affected in one way or another by what happens here. Unfortunately, for me, I just don't know enough of the background -- everything I know about Kitty I know from Ultimate Spider-man, everything I know about Scott I remember from a cartoon when I was little, and a lot of them I don't know at all. It looks like an interesting storyline, and the art is good, but I just can't say I enjoyed it when I was so at sea for most of it. ( )
  shanaqui | May 9, 2014 |
I found this volume to be really confusing. I guess its because I don't know a lot of history of the Xmen. But the art was great and the story, from what I can follow, is good. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |

Whedon, JossAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassaday, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Why me?"

They're back! The chart-topping super-team of Joss Whedon and John Cassaday return for more Astonshing X-Men! If you thought their past efforts were full of shocks and surprises, hold onto your eyeballs - because you haven't seen anything yet, as things go from peculiar to just plain bizarre! Emma Frost's erratic behavior has the X-Men spinning in a non-stop downward spiral. Will an unlikely union be the final straw? After secretly lying in wait for months, the new Hellfire Club makes its move! Plus: The X-Man destined to destroy the Breakworld stands revealed! Who is it, and what will be their fate? Collects Astonishing X-Men #13-18.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

"Things go from peculiar to just plain bizarre [as] Emma Frost's erratic behavior has the X-Men spinning in a non-stop downward spiral. Will an unlikely union be the final straw? After secretly lying in wait for months, the new Hellfire Club makes its move! Plus: The X-Man destined to destroy the Breakworld stands revealed! Who is it, and what will be their fate?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,799,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible