Avalon Rising (A Metal & Lace Novel) by…

Avalon Rising (A Metal & Lace Novel)

by Kathryn Rose

91950,433 (5)None

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A stunning sequel and beautiful retelling complete with steampunk!

Opening Sentence: “Frost has the good sense not to test my patience by settling on my tools.”

The Review:

Vivienne is back and working desperately to build the aeroship for the knights. Camelot lays in ruins from the war Morgan Le Fay brought upon them. Arthur is dead and Lancelot is broken. Guiverene and the others have fled to stay safe. The knights are searching the whole world for the Holy Grail. Vivienne is building the aeroship under the orders of the Lady of the Lake and having trouble figuring out how to infuse it with the right magic to make it fly. Merlin is imprisoned, and Azur won’t tell her how to do it.

Then one night she follows the blacksmith and discovers that not only does he know the secret, he is also Marcus’s father. When Vivienne learns that Marcus and her brother have disappeared she makes a dangerous choice and enlists Rufus the blacksmith to help her find Marcus, and Avalon. The lady informs her that choice will lead to Marcus’s death or betrayal. That his fate is unsure now. Rufus and Vivienne set off to the kingdom of the Fisher King where she hopes to pass the three tests.

Will Vivienne be able to find Marcus and Avalon? Will she be able to find the Holy Grail and save them from the Black Knight?

As you all know, Steampunk is hit or miss for me and this series is a definite hit for me. I read Camelot Burning before this so I wouldn’t be confused and I heartily recommend that you read Camelot Burning before Avalon Rising, otherwise you will have no clue what’s going on. Oddly enough, I am funny about my retellings like I am steampunk, so in that aspect this is a double hit for me. I love the Arthurian legends and I have enjoyed other retellings that I have come across. This one is superb, except in one little aspect. There is a map in book 2, which is helpful, however the world isn’t always clear the relation between places. On the map it appears to be Britain, and that is how it seems in the book except there are a lot of references to the Holy Land and Jerusalem, but the distance isn’t always explained well so it can be confusing.

However, that is my only issue with these books. I think I really love the infusion of magic with the steampunk elements. It really enhances the story and really adds an exciting aspect to it all. Especially since it is dangerous. Vivienne is an amazing main character, I am not sure I am quite on board with the love interest, but this book ended on a massive heartbreaking cliffhanger! Massive, even I was shocked and thrilled at the prospect of book 3. This is a wonderful book filled with magic, betrayal, death, mechanical devices, legends and myths. If you like your steampunk infused with a retelling and dash of fantasy, this series is for you!

Notable Scenes:

“I hesitate in the ruins that have evolved into a strange sort of sanctuary.”

“Like a legend or a fairy tale Owen might have told me as a little girl.”

“Merlin did say that there were sleeping demons in my brother.”

“A necessary confinement Merlin would agree to, surely, lest uncontrollable, dragonesque soul were to attack his old friend or others.”

“Because if Marcus won’t soon die, it means his betrayal is inevitable.”

“Certainly, insanity has found me instead.”

“The Black Knight steps toward me, the girl he cannot hurt.”

FTC Advisory: Flux provided me with a copy of Avalon Rising. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 23, 2016 |

In the aftermath of Morgan le Fay’s war on Camelot, the once great kingdom struggles to rebuild. Vivienne, Merlin's former apprentice, toils in secret day and night on orders from the Lady of the Lake to build an aeroship. The Lady has seen the future and promises that the ship will ensure Camelot’s knights triumph over the Black Knight in the quest for Avalon and the Holy Grail.

But when a company of knights goes missing—including Owen, Vivienne’s brother, and Marcus, her beloved—Vivienne changes the plan and commandeers the aeroship for a rescue mission, altering the fates of all involved. Now, the Lady sees danger in Vivienne’s future. And for Marcus: either betrayal or death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,746,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible