Catch Me When I Fall: Dreamcatcher, Book One…

Catch Me When I Fall: Dreamcatcher, Book One

by Vicki Leigh

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Daniel had a choice when he died 200 years ago, he decided to stay attached to the world of the living, fighting off the Nightmares that haunt sleeping people every night. When his new assignment is a sixteen year old, depressed girl named Kayla things get out of hand quickly.

Although the premise was very original, it got me thinking straight away. If only a fraction of the dying people chooses to become these Protectors of the Night, and training takes over a century, then how would everyone have two of them (considering that they are really dropping like flies). Since these Protectors are dead, why do they need to live in an apartment and steal decorations? How come no-one notices them living in apartments and all.

While these questions and more where in the back of my head I was still really enjoying reading it. Unfortunately there was an overdose of instalove and main character Kayla was a special snowflake if I ever saw one. Things got a little bit confusing near the end, but I'm curious to see what the next book in the series will bring.

Catch me when I fall is the first book in the Dreamcatcher series.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I would like to thank Curiosity Quills Press for granting me a copy of this e-ARC to read in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this e-book for free that in no way impacts my review.

Goodreads Blurb:
"Recruited at his death to be a Protector of the Night, seventeen-year-old Daniel Graham has spent two-hundred years fighting Nightmares and guarding humans from the clawed, red-eyed creatures that feed off people’s fears. Each night, he risks his eternal life, having given up his chance at an afterlife when he chose to become a Protector. That doesn’t stop a burnt-out Daniel from risking daring maneuvers during each battle. He’s become one of the best, but he wants nothing more than to stop.

Then he’s given an assignment to watch over sixteen-year-old Kayla Bartlett, a clinically depressed patient in a psychiatric ward. Nightmares love a human with a tortured past. Yet, when they take a deep interest in her, appearing in unprecedented numbers, the job becomes more dangerous than any Daniel’s ever experienced. He fights ruthlessly to keep the Nightmares from overwhelming his team and Kayla. Soon, Daniel finds himself watching over Kayla during the day, drawn to why she’s different, and what it is about her that attracts the Nightmares. And him.

A vicious attack on Kayla forces Daniel to break the first Law and reveal his identity. Driven by his growing feelings for her, he whisks her away to Rome where others like him can keep her safe. Under their roof, the Protectors discover what Kayla is and why someone who can manipulate Nightmares has her in his sights. But before they can make a move, the Protectors are betrayed and Kayla is kidnapped. Daniel will stop at nothing to save her. Even if it means giving up his immortality."

This book opens with an interesting cast of characters, each of whom performs an unusual task. Typically working in teams of two, there is a Weaver and a Catcher. Daniel is a Catcher, which means that he protects both the Weaver and their human charge from Nightmares. The Weaver, just as the name implies, weaves good dreams for the human they've been assigned to protect. Once assigned the team stays with the human for the duration of that person's life. While the story starts out a bit slowly, that can be blamed upon the need to set the story up. Once the rough outline of the story is sketched out the pace of the story increases, and the arc of the story feels more natural.

Daniel is a product of the society he grew up in, and that means he's a chauvinist. He should tell the women he works with that he's simply trying to protect them, but instead he just gets angry when they become frustrated with his attitude, because he expects them to know that he's only trying to protect them. One would think that having been around for some 200 years he'd have gotten a bit more of a modern outlook by now, but it only seems to appear when he's dealing with Kayla.

Meanwhile Kayla has retreated to a mental institution rather than face returning to her family home, as she underwent a very traumatic event there. Actually it was two events linked together, and they were bad enough to make her choose to go to the psychiatric hospital. Yet she's actually a fairly strong character when given a chance, so it's a bit confusing that she'd elect to check into a psych ward versus returning home and moving on with her life.

Within days of the assignment Kayla and Daniel have fallen hard for each other. Too hard, and too fast in my mind. I can understand Kayla's reaction since she's 16, but Daniel has lived for over 200 years. I'd expect a bit more caution and prudence on his end of the relationship. Yet if anything he is worse than Kayla. Of course the intensity of the situation they find themselves facing might lend itself to speeding up the romance, since every moment feels as though it's on borrowed time. The twist involving the antagonist is a good one, and it should be interesting to see how it plays out in the next book. ( )
  Isisunit | Nov 20, 2014 |
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Protectors of the Night work while humans sleep. Dreamcatchers defend against Nightmares which are physical beings from the other side of the veil who feed off fear and other dark emotions and Dreamweavers create and project good dreams for the humans once they fall asleep. Daniel Graham was 17 when he died and took up the mantle of Protector. For over 200 years he’s kept the Nightmares at bay and with his current charge dying a natural death at an old age he’s ready for his break. Except he doesn’t get one. He’s immediately assigned to Kayla Bartlett, a 16-yr-old who is currently in a psychiatric facility and whose Dreamcatcher team was attacked. Daniel discovers that there’s something different about Kayla and he needs to figure out the who, what and why before she is harmed or his team is killed by the Nightmares.

This is quite a different take on fantasy and one I haven’t seen before. I like the idea of the Dreamcatchers though the Nightmares sound pretty icky. I found the world interesting and well-developed and the characters are ones I felt I could hang out with. I didn’t quite buy into the insta-love between Daniel and Kayla though and while I expected Kayla to make some “dumb” teenager mistakes I was less forgiving of Daniel. Yes, he was 17 when he died, but he’s been around 200 years. Not just around, but fighting monsters. He is not a kid and shouldn’t be making dumb mistakes and behaving in the typical teenage fashion characteristic of that age group. However, the plot is a good one with plenty of action and I enjoyed watching it play out. A battle has been won, but the war is not over. I’m curious to see where this series goes next. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 10, 2014 |
A fun paranormal action/romance for teens! Daniel is a Dreamcatcher, working as a team with a Dreamweaver to protect humans from Nightmares--actual demonic beings who visit humans while they're sleeping to feed off their fears. Daniel kills these beings with knives, while the Weaver gives good dreams to their charge and keeps them oblivious to the carnage taking place in the invisible realm by their bed. But things change for Daniel when he falls in love with Kayla, his newest charge, a teen girl who is institutionalized for post traumatic stress and hallucinations; he's been a Protector for 200 years but it's been a long time since he's felt close to anyone. And then he learns that the Nightmares are acting in unusual ways: they are actively targeting Kayla and attacking her physically. I had fun reading this book; it reads like an episode of "Supernatural"--witty banter in the middle of wicked fight scenes-- with some of the feel of the Mortal Instruments book series and other paranormal romances. Nice action scenes--you feel drawn into the knife battles and wince at Daniel's injuries--and a sweet romance. Eventually we learn of other supernatural beings besides Catchers and Weavers, which added to my interest and made the invented supernatural world more well-rounded. I'm looking forward to book two! ( )
  GoldieBug | Oct 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible