The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen

The Dracula Tape (1975)

by Fred Saberhagen

Series: The Dracula Sequence (1)

Very enjoyable. The classic story of Dracula told in his "own words" with a very sharpwit ( )
  WonderlandGrrl | Jan 29, 2016 |
A very funny mix of classic story revision (the story of Dracula from the vampire's viewpoint) and literary criticism (e.g. just how DID Mr. Harker understand perfectly words spoken by a Romanian gypsy from dozens of yards away?) Whether you liked the original or hated it, you'll probably like this book. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Jan 10, 2014 |
The Dracula Tapes tells the story of Bram Stoker's Dracula but from the point of view of Vlad Dracula himself.

Although I did like this book it's hard to explain why I just liked it and why I didn't love it. It's well written and everything "fits" with Dracula. The only thing I didn't like so much was that Vlad often refers to one of his habits, only to tell the reader that he will explain fully later on in the book. When he does come back to it it is often explained very shortly.

What I do like is that Saberhagen didn't try to redeem Dracula. Many vampires in books now are nice and misunderstood. In this book Vlad is what he is, he drinks blood and occasionally kills somebody. He is less of a monster Van Helsing makes him out to be (he doesn't murder everybody and he usually drinks animal blood instead of human blood) but he isn't that much of a likeable character. The lack of really likeable character in this book might be why I liked instead of loved it.

The Dracula Tapes is the first part of a series and I want to read the other books, but I'm not rushing out to get them immediately.

I like books that give a different point of view of another, wellknown, book. Another good example is Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea, which tells the story of mr. Rochester's crazy wife in the attic in Jane Eyre.

Rumpeltje | Sep 22, 2013 |
*note to self. copy from Al.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Although not the blockbuster I was expecting, still and enjoyable read. It is basically the story of Dracula by Bram Stoker, but told from Dracula's perspective. Some typical explanations like, I didn't seduce her, she came willingly and such, but also some interesting history on big D and some personality brought to life a character so often considered a deadguy with fangs. Overall a good read. ( )
  Diwanna | Aug 2, 2010 |

Fred Saberhagenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adragna, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

Count Dracula tells his own version of his fateful journey to England in 1891, presenting a surprising revision to the well-known tale. Original.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671578391, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:21 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,256,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible