Mary Poppins Set of Four Books by Dr. P. L.…

Mary Poppins Set of Four Books

by Dr. P. L. Travers

Used for final discussion. ( )
  ahle | Dec 4, 2016 |
I always had difficulty getting through the movie as a child - I'd get held up at the dancing penguin BS, and just say "nope!" I was always a far bigger fan of Bedknobs and Broomsticks (why are these two always pitted against each other?) and feel that Mary Poppins stole much of the glory B&B deserved.

After reading the book, I now appreciate the movie so much more. Not because the book clarifies or adds depth to the movie, but just because the movie positively shines compared to the book. Mary is an absolute a-hole in the book. Vane and rude and without joy. Why would anyone *like* her? Yes, she's a vehicle to the children's ability to experience magic in the world, but she isn't a pleasant vehicle at all (I liken it to sitting in a full cattle car to get to an amusement park - just because the cattle car got you there, doesn't make it an enjoyable part of the experience). ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 10, 2016 |
I have always had a fondness for classic children's literature, and Mary Poppins is one of my favorite characters. I love how much more acerbic she is in the books than in the simperingly sweet movie, though I will admit that I like the movie as well.

Still, I find her character int he books to be so rich and entertaining, and they have so many fun adventures. I read this books whenever I need comforting. ( )
  rbaech | Jul 17, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0544340477, Hardcover)

For all her offended sniffs and humphs, Mary Poppins is likely the most exciting nanny England--and the world--has ever seen. Young Jane and Michael Banks have no idea what's in store for them when Mary Poppins blows in on the east wind one autumn evening. Soon, though, the children are having tea on the ceiling, flying around the world in a minute (visiting polar bears and hyacinth macaws on the way), and secretly watching as their unusual nanny pastes gold paper stars to the sky. Mary's stern and haughty exterior belies the delightful nonsense she harbors; her charges, as well as her literary fans, respect and adore her.

Grownups who have forgotten Mary Poppins's true charms will be tickled pink to rediscover this uniquely unsentimental fantasy. Younger readers will walk into Mary's world without batting an eye--of course the animals in the zoo exchange places with people on the night of the full moon. Certainly a falling star landing on a cow's horn will make her dance ceaselessly. Why wouldn't one be able to enter into a chalk picture? The only disappointing aspect of this classic is that it doesn't go on forever! (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

A Russian translation/adaptation of Mary Poppins.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,000,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible