Only a Promise (Survivor's Club) by…

Only a Promise (Survivor's Club)

by Mary Balogh

Good story line and characters. The sex however was very lady chatterly. Ugh. Needed more spark there or to skip it. ( )
  LadyTi | Sep 5, 2017 |
This is my favorite volume for this series to date. I know I rated Book 2 with a five stars, but this one is above and beyond that one. I think it’s the blend of darker elements and more dramatic emotional content that tips the balance. And this book has that in spades.

Where Vincent’s and Sophie’s story was more gentle and sweet, Ralph’s and Chloe’s tale is fraught with despair, pain, and low expectations in life. Ralph’s wartime experience was as much emotional and mental as physical; survivor’s guilt is a big and looming presence in his tale, more so than the other Club members I feel. I liked the depth and layer that it adds to this budding romance.

Chloe is scarred in her own fashion as well socially and as a result of that, emotionally. Her family’s transgressions have stained any hope she had for a normal life and so she finds herself in the position as an unmarriageable woman. While not on the same level as wartime angst, her emotional pain still adds weight to an already dramatic story.

This story is a “marriage of convenience” story, a cliché that I find myself enjoying more and more. It’s a miracle me saying that as I usually HATE clichés of all sorts. Yet, this one seems to dovetail beautifully with the emotional states our leads are in, two damaged individuals who don’t think they can find love but want the benefits that the married state can bring them. Being in such close proximity all the time allows for some lovely character development and relationship enrichment.

Balogh has created a world class historical romance here. Emotionally resonant and with characters that shine, I devoured this book. It’s the best of the Survivor’s Club so far and because of how good it is, I look forward to the finishing two novels coming out soon. Another example of why Balogh is turning into one of my favorite authors for this genre! ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 14, 2016 |
Only a Promise by Mary Balogh is a 2015 Signet publication.

This book turned out to be one of my very favorites in the survivor’s club series!

I know I sound like a broken record, but this series is appealing to me for a number of reasons. The Survivor’s Club struck a chord with me right off, and so far, I don’t think I’ve missed a single book. The premise is one in which wounded soldiers, mentally, emotionally, and physically, are still recovering from the effects of war. Each story is compelling, emotional, and inspirational. All the characters have had to overcome major obstacles in order to open their hearts up to the possibility of falling in love.

Ralph’s story is no exception and it is certainly painful, so I really felt bad for him. He is severely wounded physically in the Neapolitan war, and is left scarred, but it is the loss of three comrades during the war, which has left him emotionally drained to the point where he has nothing left inside but bitter regret and remorse.

For Chloe it is a broken heart that taught her that love is just a lie, the actions of a selfish sister that ruined her chances of marriage, and the shocking revelations about her parents that have caused her to become fodder for the cruel gossips in London society. With her reputation in ruins, this chance with Ralph is a golden opportunity for her. But, once they are married, and reality sets in, all of Chloe’s hopes are dashed as she endures the one thing in this world she dreaded the most, and Ralph appears impervious to her pain.

I love the mature characters, how they deal with really difficult and complex issues, and go through transitions that only love’s restorative powers can accomplish. I literally watched Ralph fall in his wife, saw him face his worst fears, and all that bottled up pain slowly released from him.

“No man can do everything,” Graham explained. “Each of us can do only what is within his power. If we dwell upon our inability to solve the world’s problems, our only possible recourse is to despair. Despair accomplishes nothing.”

Chloe is a character I admire tremendously. No matter what era you live in the shock she endured concerning her parents is one that would send anyone into a tailspin.

Like Chloe my first inclination would be to withdraw from society and it was Ralph’s preference as well, until duty called.

“The trouble with running away is that you must always take yourself with you.”

Both main characters really stepped into their roles, gaining strength from one another as their love for each other grew. I loved how Ralph addressed his feeling for Chloe, as not just about romantic love, or sexual pleasure, but that deep abiding love that is what holds couples together through the ups and downs that life inevitably brings.

This is a wonderful story about learning to face your worst fears, forgiving yourself, and the power of love which is what made all that possible for Ralph and Chloe.

I loved this one!! 5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jan 12, 2016 |
3 stars. I love HR where the majority of the book is written after the marriage. But, for me, this story was a bit on the bland side compared to the other books in the series. I loved Chloe, but had no connection to Ralph. I didn't really like him and thought he was more of a jerk than a wounded man. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
There could surely be nothing worse than having been born a woman, Chloe Muirhead thought with unabashed self-pity as she sucked a globule of blood off her left forefinger and looked to see if any more was about to bubble up and threaten to ruin the strip of delicate lace she was sewing back onto one of the Duchess of Worthingham's best afternoon caps.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451469674, Mass Market Paperback)

The new Survivor’s Club novel from the New York Times bestselling author.

The Survivors’ Club: Six men and one woman, all wounded in the Napoleonic Wars, their friendship forged during their recovery at Penderris Hall in Cornwall. Now, for one of them, striking a most unusual bargain will change his life forever.…

Ralph Stockwood prides himself on being a leader, but when he convinced his friends to fight in the Napoleonic Wars, he never envisioned being the sole survivor. Racked with guilt over their deaths, Ralph must move on...and find a wife so as to secure an heir to his family’s title and fortune.

Since her Seasons in London ended in disaster, Chloe Muirhead is resigned to spinsterhood. Driven by the need to escape her family, she takes refuge at the home of her mother’s godmother, where she meets Ralph. He needs a wife. She wants a husband. So Chloe makes an outrageous suggestion: Strike a bargain and get married. One condition: Ralph has to promise that he will never take her back to London. But circumstances change. And to Ralph, it was only a promise.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:46 -0400)

Ralph Stockwood prides himself on being a leader, but when he convinced his friends to fight in the Napoleonic Wars, he never envisioned being the sole survivor. Racked with guilt over their deaths, Ralph must move on...and find a wife so as to secure an heir to his family's title and fortune. Since her Seasons in London ended in disaster, Chloe Muirhead is resigned to spinsterhood. Driven by the need to escape her family, she takes refuge at the home of her mother's godmother, where she meets Ralph. He needs a wife. She wants a husband. So Chloe makes an outrageous suggestion: Strike a bargain and get married. One condition: Ralph has to promise that he will never take her back to London. But circumstances change. And to Ralph, it was only a promise.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible