When Shadows Fall (Callaways #7) by Barbara…

When Shadows Fall (Callaways #7)

by Barbara Freethy

131723,089 (4)1

Priestess: Rak'bana

Priest: Ine'resi, her twin brother

The Goddess is angry and rains fire down on the temples. They have no choice but to flee. They must pass on the warning to future generations.

Is it the ultimate betrayal or punishment?

"We are no longer human, Vesi."
"No, I suppose not. We are closer to Gods, aren't we? Small gods perhaps."

That was in the opening pages. Makes me think there will be much action to come.
I meet Horace, a sailor, who will hold a prominent place in the novel. I couldn't help but laugh at his thoughts. I love him. He is rude and crude.

...felt pretty good on the whole for a man what been drowned like a bilge rat and ate by an angry god.

Now, we meet Danya and Teryk, the prince and princess.

I love the princess. She has a great attitude about life and runs barefoot through the book. She is matter of fact and has no air of superiority.

Trenan is a master swordsman and we are going to spend a lot of time with him. By the time he grew on my, I wanted him at my side, always.

Danya and Teryk find the scroll the Gods had hidden. It holds magic for Teryk and he feels it holds his destiny. I knew what he was going to do...I knew what she would do too. I was surprised she fell for his ruse, but they are both young and naive. I worry about Teryk. I don't think he's capable of taking care of himself. He is a lousy swordsman and doesn't realize how helpless he really is.

In the beginning I was confused. There was so much going on and the back and forth had my head spinning.I find this happens to me sometimes, when the book is divided into 'episodes' and I feel like I am reading the introduction.

When Shadows Fall by Bruce Blake hooked me in the beginning, but I think most of the book laid the groundwork for the future books and it took a while for the pieces to begin to fall into place. I have become invested in the characters and wonder what will become of them. What dangers and perils will they need to survive, in order to fulfill the scrolls destiny. And I wonder, who's destiny is it? With all these questions, I must know the answers.

Oh man, it's just getting good and I can feel the end approaching.I read along, rating the book in my head. I do that sometimes. It was a three for most of the novel and I had to keep it there, but those darn cliffhangers, and, yes, there is more than one, have me saying, "Where is the next book?"

I anticipate the story getting better and I will find out, in Book II.

I received this ARC in return for an honest review. ( )
  sherry69 | Feb 18, 2015 |

#1 NY Times Bestselling Author Barbara Freethy delivers love, romance and a tantalizing mystery in WHEN SHADOWS FALL, the seventh book in the bestselling Callaway Series.

Olivia Bennett is a biographer, a narrator of lives far more interesting than her own. When she volunteers to write down the memories of Eleanor Callaway, an elderly woman suffering from Alzheimer's, she gets caught up in a compelling story of a great love and a terrible secret. Suddenly, she is no longer a spectator but an investigator, and in her quest for the truth, she not only finds herself at odds with Eleanor's sexy and very protective grandson Colton Callaway, but she also discovers a more personal connection to Eleanor's past.

Colton is a firefighter, a man used to going after what he wants and getting it. He pushes the limits, takes chances, and is willing to risk everything to save a life, especially if that life belongs to his grandmother.

As Olivia and Colton stir up the smoldering embers of the past, they soon come to realize that the greatest danger may not come from those who want to protect their secrets, but from each other. Because the one thing neither of them has ever been willing to risk is their heart.

Don't Miss Any of the Callaway Novels: ON A NIGHT LIKE THIS (#1) SO THIS IS LOVE (#2) FALLING FOR A STRANGER (#3) BETWEEN NOW AND FOREVER (#4) Plus Bonus Novella NOBODY BUT YOU ALL A HEART NEEDS (#5) THAT SUMMER NIGHT (#6) WHEN SHADOWS FALL (#7) SOMEWHERE ONLY WE KNOW (#8) - January 2015

PRAISE FOR THE CALLAWAYS!

"I love the Callaways! Heartwarming romance, intriguing suspense and sexy alpha heroes. What more could you want?" -- NYT Bestselling Author Bella Andre

"I adore the Callaways, a family we'd all love to have. Each new book is a deft combination of emotion, suspense and family dynamics. A remarkable, compelling series!" -- Barbara O'Neal, author of How to Bake a Perfect Life.

"Once I start reading a Callaway novel, I can't put it down. Fast-paced action, a poignant love story and a tantalizing mystery in every book!" -- USA Today Bestselling Author Christie Ridgway

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

Biographer Olivia Bennett volunteers to write the life story of Eleanor Callaway, uncovering a long-buried secret that forces Olivia and Eleanor's grandson, firefighter Colton Callaway, to work together to keep Eleanor safe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible