Shards of Hope by Nalini Singh

Shards of Hope

by Nalini Singh

Shards of Hope is the 14th (if I’m not mistaken) Psy-Changeling novel by Nalini Singh.

Plot:
Aden and Zaira wake in a cell together, both wounded and without any idea where they actually are. Fortunately for them – and unfortunately for their captors – they are both highly trained Arrows, elite soldiers. As they fight their way back home, they must lean on each other. But they can’t do so too much – not only because being an Arrow requires making hard decisions and not only when they are being hunted by an unknown enemy, but also because Zaira desperately needs to remain Silent, emotionless, or else risk falling apart.

Shards of Hope is a nice entry into the Psy-Changeling Series, especially because it opened up the world we got to see so far and included other packs and people we hadn’t really known before and because it nicely pushed the overarching plot along, while at the same time having two likeable leads on the micro level.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/03/13/shards-of-hope-nalini-singh/ ( )
  kalafudra | May 10, 2016 |
This is a long book - 885 pages on iBooks in average size print. Much longer than the previous ones in the series. And it needs to be. Quite apart from the romantic story line between Aden and Zaira there is a host of conspiracy theories, a few assassination attempts and a new villain now that PurePsy has been removed. The story touches on all previous couples as the Arrow Squad works to change their training. I really liked Zaira as a character she made a nice change from the previous physically weak female psy character leads of previous novels. She is what I expected a brutally trained Arrow to be and the first time the female lead hasn't been even a little bit soppy.
There were a few times the interaction between Zaira and Aden got a bit dull - there were several passages where they were basically telling each other how wonderful the other person was and how they should find someone better - the mutual admiration gets a bit cloying. Also the interactions with the children tend to be idealized. I don't care how healthy an environment a child is raised in 2.5 year olds have meltdowns for no reason whatsoever ALL THE TIME!
I love the overarching plots in this series and those are what keep me reading ( the romance is ok but after 14 books is more than a bit stale to my mind) the politics and complexes plots keep me coming back and I will totally be back for the next one ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Aden and Zaira's story. Nice blending of psy with changeling and touching on previous characters. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I found it hard to put down, even if sometimes the story didn't flow as well as I might like, but this story of two Arrows was interesting. Yes, the wondering about whether or not Zaira was capable of love sometimes felt like it was the lady doth protest too much. Still, if you've never experienced love or emotional attachment to people and suddenly you're allowed and you're feeling it for your commander, it's hard to sort out what exact emotion you're dealing with here. Singh deals well with people of various ages deciding to use their emotions and how they're going to go on with their lives in this new world.

Zaira and Aden start the story in a darkened cell and wounded and without any of their psychic abilities and they have to escape and find out what's going on. They also have to deal with the new leadership of the Arrows (Aden) and how people perceive him. They're also starting to realise that they mean a lot to each other.

I found it interesting, loved the romance and enjoyed the read. I'm left wondering what next for the Psy-Changeling world and looking forward to the next instalment. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 13, 2015 |
Zaira and Aden

Another great book in the Psy-Changeling Series!

Zaira and Aden are both Arrows; in coming together they not only break Silence they are going against all their training and conditioning as Arrows. Aden chose Zaira when they were both still children. Zaira has always loved Aden, he was the first person in her life to show her kindness. Aden protected her as best as he could even as a child. They are destined to be together, the only thing between them is if Zaira can learn to drop her shields and accept him and let go of her inner childhood rage.

Aden is trying to turn the deadly Arrows into a family with help from the Changelings.

There is also the mystery of who is trying to cause problems between the three races. This new enemy will stop at nothing to stir up trouble and Aden as the head of the Arrows seems to be both their main target and the person best able to fight back against this new foe. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,920,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible