Lights Out by Holly Black

When 12 Doctors, 12 Stories was released electronically, it was 11 Doctors, 11 Stories because that was all the Doctors there were: this final volume was added in 2014, taking place between the episodes "Deep Breath" and "Into the Dalek," during the Doctor's mission to get coffee for Clara. Like most of the books in this series, it's a solid, enjoyable tale. It's told in the first person from the perspective of an alien the Doctor meets, which is always a nice way to do a Doctor Who story, and Black does a good job capturing the voice of Peter Capaldi (who is my favorite Doctor since Christopher Eccleston).
  Stevil2001 | Jul 22, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This short story featuring the twelfth Doctor has been added to the anniversary E-short collection that was published in 2013. And even though I still have to watch season 8 with the new Doctor, I've been enjoying the stories I've read so far with the 12th Doctor.

When the Doctor stops at a far-away planet notorious for its coffee to get himself and Clara a cup disaster strikes not once but twice. Not only does the coffee run out, every time the lights go out someone turns up dead.

While being extremely short just like the rest of the series, it was also very enjoyable. The Doctor and his temporary new companion get a very interesting murder mystery to solve, but not without some humor. The absence of Clara (whom I still dislike) might have helped, but this was one of my favorite Doctor Who stories.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
A late addition to the fiftieth anniversary ebook collection, released to tie-in with Peter Capaldi’s first season as the Doctor. It’s one of the more successful entries, Black doing a remarkable job of capturing the more abrasive twelfth Doctor and coming up with a setting perfectly in keeping with the show’s vision of the future. An enjoyable end to a worthwhile experimental format. ( )
  JonArnold | Jan 12, 2016 |
I liked the narrative technique in this one, using first person instead of third as most Doctor Who adventures do (even most of the adventures in this collection). Would have been a 4 if not for the gratuitous mention of Clara, for whom the Doctor is buying coffee at the Intergalactic Coffee Roasting Station where this story is set. She has no relevance to the story so there is no need to bring her into it, no matter how peripherally. As for the rest of the story, it works fairly well given the space constraints, and the ending could be read multiple ways, but in a good way. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Dec 29, 2015 |

This is the very latest Doctor Who prose to be published, a short ebook by Holly Black, well-known horror writer for younger readers, which is actually a coda to the eleven ebooks published last year, one for each Doctor; presumably the whole lot will appear in paper as a collection soon. (My advice - buy it, but skip the rather weak opening story by Eoin Colfer.)

This is very good. We have a non-human protagonist and the Twelfth Doctor (between Deep Breath and Into The Dalek) having an adventure as a consequence of getting coffee at an interplanetary coffee joint, in which you find just precisely the sorts of aliens from both Old and New Who who you would expect to see stopping off for a break between adventures. The tropes of both the Whoniverse and sf more widely are beautifully handled and the story, though very short, packs a decent punch. Well worth the (very low) price.

I had not read any of Black's work before, being a couple of decades out of the target readership, but if this is her standard I can see why she has a following. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 21, 2014 |
Space is so dark that looking out at it confounds the brain.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,985,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible