I Think You'll Find it's a Bit More…

I Think You'll Find it's a Bit More Complicated Than That (2014)

by Ben Goldacre

A collection of his favourite newspaper articles. I enjoyed them, they're collected by theme.

I listened to this on Playaway (honestly love this format) and it's part narrated by the author and by Jot Davies. The author reads the beginning and the end and Jot takes the middle, major portion. It was well read and interesting. Ben is opinionated and this comes forward, I may disagree with some of his opinions but overall I found it well-balanced and food for thought.

Yes some of it is dated (it was particularly interesting to hear his college essay having a re-airing, but some of it is depressingly still going on. Much of the same wool is being pulled on a regular basis. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 24, 2017 |
This hefty collection of essays by Bad Science columnist Ben Goldacre is well worth reading by anyone who's ever questioned some of the pieces passing for science journalism these days. Goldacre is brilliant at pointing out flaws and demonstrating how to interpret statistics and data. In addition to more recent columns, he includes some blasts from the past, such as a paper he wrote while still a medical student (adorable!). Some columns contain updates or footnotes to explain the situations being discussed, and these are also instructive. And now I want to go read more books on statistics to understand these issues even more!

If you liked Bad Science or Bad Pharma, you may like this book as well. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 25, 2015 |
To whom it may concern.
And Archie.
And Alice.
This is a collection of my most fun fights, but the fighting is just an excuse.

Intro.
This week Barness Susan Greenfield, Professor of Pharmacology at Oxford, apparently announced that computer games are causing dementia in children.

Why won't Professor Susan Greenfield publish this theory in a scientific journal?

The very best journalism from one of Britain's most admired and outspoken science writers, author of the bestselling Bad Science and Bad Pharma. In 'Bad Science', Ben Goldacre hilariously exposed the tricks that quacks and journalists use to distort science. In 'Bad Pharma', he put the $600 billion global pharmaceutical industry under the microscope. Now the pick of the journalism by one of our wittiiest, most indignant and most fearless commentators on the worlds of medicine and science is collected in one volume.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible