The Hanging Girl by Jussi Adler-Olsen

The Hanging Girl (2014)

by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Series: Serie Q (6), Department Q (6)

English (16)  Dutch (6)  German (1)  All (23)
On the one hand, I like the quirky composition of the Department Q team. We have the crusty leader, the young lady with a permanently bad-mood and smart mouth, the 'immigrant' investigator (Assad, or is it Said?) with apparently a few skeletons in his closet, and a new young guy who doesn't know much and is skinny as a rail. On the other hand, the interactions seem a little forced, the constant stream of malapropisms from our immigrant Assad were funny the first couple times but not so much after 50 of them, and as a group they just, well, don't seem very effective.

The Hanging Girl is essentially a cold case the group pulls themselves into after a policeman from a remote town who had been investigating it commits suicide in a very public venue. They retrace his steps, while in parallel chapters a group of religious kooks with a couple members who have long-ago ties to the subject of the cold case go through their own intrigue. The case is eventually solved, not exactly as expected, but I guess that's how good mysteries are composed.

This book was 500 pages long, but seemed a lot longer. The team's investigative methods were rather haphazard and that probably contributed to the perception of excess length, and the constant flashes over to the happenings with the religious group, which had some relevance to the plot but mostly existed to build a background for a couple characters, was the main culprit. The writing was decent and the translation seemed to be well done, but the dialogue wasn't consistently crisp and tended to be rather unprofessional at times. All-in-all, it was a decent 'whodunnit' that was much longer than necessary. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Carl Morck, Assad and Rose investigate another old case. ( )
  BillPilgrim | May 18, 2016 |
In the middle of his usual hard-won morning nap in the basement of police headquarters, Carl Mørck, head of Department Q, receives a call from a colleague working on the Danish island of Bornholm. Carl is dismissive when he realizes that a new case is being foisted on him, but a few hours later, he receives some shocking news that leaves his headstrong assistant Rose more furious than usual. Carl has no choice but to lead Department Q into the tragic cold case of a vivacious seventeen-year-old girl who vanished from school, only to be found dead hanging high up in a tree. The investigation will take them from the remote island of Bornholm to a strange sun worshipping cult, where Carl, Assad, Rose, and newcomer Gordon attempt to stop a string of new murders and a skilled manipulator who refuses to let anything—or anyone—get in the way. ( )
  cjordan916 | Mar 8, 2016 |
I started this book when it came out and got to chapter 10. This is not really an accomplishment as the chapters are short. Ever since I put this book down I have had it sitting in front of me every time I sit at my computer. So I finally picked up this book again yet I found myself lacking any interest in the story or the characters. I read a few other reviews by readers who have followed this series from the beginning and even they did not feel that this book was as strong a showing. I just could not make myself continue reading this book for the full 432 pages. Which if the book does not draw me in the first few chapters then I can not stick with a book. There have been a few times where I have tried and my thoughts about the book did not change. There was too much talking. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 5, 2016 |
This is a series I love. Not only are the cases interesting and full of their own quirks and twists, but so are the central characters. The cases assigned to Department Q are all cold cases, lying unsolved for years. The main team of characters are all broken in one way or another, with foibles and fears, secrets and sins, all wrapped up in many, many layers that Adler-Olsen carefully dissects away. And while some of the cases have the dark noir aspect of other Scandinavian writers, some are less vitriolic, but just as interesting to read. Sometimes you like a good mystery/detective novel that doesn't rip your guts out or give you nightmares. Jussi Adler-Olsen has proven to be able to craft a tale that grabs attention, and unfolds in a way that grabs interest, builds suspense, and defines characters beautifully.

Tags: 2016-read, a-favorite-author, currently-reading, nordic-noir, thank-you-charleston-county-library, translated-mystery ( )
  bookczuk | Feb 16, 2016 |

Jussi Adler-Olsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thiess, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan Vibsen en Elisabeth, twee sterke vrouwen
Ze zag overal grijstinten.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible