The Folded Clock: A Diary by Heidi Julavits

The Folded Clock: A Diary

by Heidi Julavits

Written in a diary format this book is funny and engaging. It is like reading ones interior honest and maybe neurotic thoughts that rarely end up being spoken. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Aug 23, 2016 |
The candidness is refreshing, the profundity takes one by surprise. Quite wonderful in terms of style. ( )
  catnips13 | Mar 12, 2016 |
Julavits is keenly observant and I enjoyed her ability to self-analyze and her willingness to reflect upon her own motives and behavior. It took reading through several entries before I began to grasp her style, and by the end I was chuckling at her neurotic musings. One thing I never did do, however, was develop a fondness for the author herself, which made reading her "diary" entries less engaging. Whether she was really writing as herself or as a persona, I just did not like her; nor could I relate to the freedom and self-centeredness of her upper-class, ultra-educated, East Coast lifestyle. She is enamored of her own blond beauti-hood and ability to attract & dump men, which would seemingly be passe by the time is one is mid-forties in age. Regardless, while I did not find her subject matter compelling, I was able to finish due to her writing talent. ( )
  Mon_Ro | Mar 8, 2016 |
Smart, funny and engaging - this is like stumbling across a whole bunch of wonderful short (one-sided) conversations. I'm definitely going to chase up some of Julavits fiction now. ( )
1 vote mjlivi | Feb 2, 2016 |
I would actually probably give this book 3.5 stars. I really loved Julavits's sense of humor and honesty, and I loved the sometimes seemingly nonlinear turns her journal entries would take before circling back and bringing her tangents all back to one main point. she wrote in a way that I often find myself thinking....one thing reminds me of another, which makes me think about that thing, and then maybe even another thing before remembering the first thing that I was focused on.

I also appreciated the way she was so honest about her own thoughts and life, even the thoughts that most of us would be ashamed or embarrassed to admit to another person. I liked that she didn't try to hide those things.

one thing that I did find myself getting slightly irritated by was her references to famous artists/writers/poets/actors, etc without saying WHO they were, even in cases where it honestly couldn't have mattered. one example of this is when she read a biography of a particular famous person right after reading a memoir of the same person. these are both clearly published books...why couldn't we know who she was speaking of? that was a minor irritation, though.

Overall, I enjoyed Julavits's unique and yet relatable daily journals. I also liked how she didn't leave the diary entries in chronological order. the jumping around kept things interesting, and if was nice to find yourself circling back to something mentioned in a previous entry. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |

A raucous, stunningly candid, deliriously smart diary of two years in the life of the incomparable Heidi Julavits

Like many young people, Heidi Julavits kept a diary. Decades later she found her old diaries in a storage bin, and hoped to discover the early evidence of the person (and writer) she’d since become. Instead, "The actual diaries revealed me to possess the mind of a paranoid tax auditor." The entries are daily chronicles of anxieties about grades, looks, boys, and popularity. After reading the confessions of her past self, writes Julavits, "I want to good-naturedly laugh at this person. I want to but I can't. What she wanted then is scarcely different from what I want today."

Thus was born a desire to try again, to chronicle her daily life as a forty-something woman, wife, mother, and writer. The dazzling result is The Folded Clock, in which the diary form becomes a meditation on time and self, youth and aging, betrayal and loyalty, friendship and romance, faith and fate, marriage and family, desire and death, gossip and secrets, art and ambition. Concealed beneath the minute obsession with “dailiness” are sharply observed moments of cultural criticism and emotionally driven philosophical queries.  In keeping with the spirit of a diary, the tone is confessional, sometimes shockingly so, as the focus shifts from the woman she wants to be to the woman she may have become.

Julavits's spirited sense of humor about her foibles and misadventures, combined with her ceaseless intelligence and curiosity, explode the typically confessional diary form.  The Folded Clock is as playful as it is brilliant, a tour de force by one of the most gifted prose stylists in American letters.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible