Gulliver's Travels to Lilliput and…

Gulliver's Travels to Lilliput and Brobdingnag

by Jonathan Swift

I was pleasantly surprised when I read this book. In addition to the travels with which we are all familiar, there were other mysterious lands also visited by Gulliver.

There are a number of philosophical thoughts sprinkled throughout, as well as a number of jabs delivered to the government. There are a lot of political viewpoints and legal suggestions that take this work into an intellectual realm without detracting from the story.

A solid novel, worth reading. ( )
  GaryPatella | Jul 30, 2012 |
Gulliver is a ship's surgeon. He takes four voyage and through various circumstances finds himself in strange lands. In Lilliput he is a giant. The inhabitants are tiny people who at first appear cute, but upon closer inspection the reader realizes they are an extremely petty population. The next voyage lands Gulliver in Brobdingnag. Here Gulliver is dwarfed by the people. Interestingly, for Gulliver, the roles are reversed; he now appears to be the petty, peevish individual. On voyage three, Gulliver visits Laputa, Balnibarbi, Glubbdudrib, Luggnagg, and Japan. Most of the time the inhabitants view life in an inaccurate perspective. Gulliver realizes most of the people embrace ideas that are not really practical. He also sees that the upper class and royalty persecute those that are not their equals.The final voyage provides Gulliver interaction with the Houyhnhnms and the Yahoos. The Houyhnhnms are a most logical race and greatly admired by Gulliver. The Yahoos, on the other hand, are brutish and savage. Gulliver despises this race. Unfortunately, when Gulliver returns home he views his fellow humans as very similar to the Yahoos and can hardly tolerate their presence, including his wife! Gulliver, for all of his exotic travels, appears utterly unhappy in his existence.
  LydiaBree | Feb 24, 2012 |
I never read Gulliver's Travels when I was younger, although I did know about it. I found it an interesting way to point of the inadequencies of the English government at the time (which I know I would have not gotten out of it if I had read it when I was younger), but only two travels to strange lands seems too little for a good adventure. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jan 15, 2012 |
When I was a young girl, I heard this story from my mom, but at that time, I only interested in the story. After I read this book, I think the writer had a big idea of this book. It seems that this is just a fairy tale, but writer used this story to tell the reader the ugly truth of England at that time.In the first country, human as the third-rate animal: yehoo. From that, yehoo was greedy, they thought money is the most important thing. Yehoo were human, but according to the book we can see that writer was hate yehoo, it seems show that how writer's feel of the whole society. English were greed, crazy, mean during that time. In story, when Gulliver in Hui-hui country, he was really enjoy and happy. Hui-hui country represent a society which did not has cheating, cunning and things like evil society. So, that's why Gulliver was very sad when he left Hui-hui country.

After I finished this book, I was thinking that what our world today? Is it better than England at that time? Well, I am not sure. But, we can do something to make the world better. From the simple things, like pick up the garbage, be honest with friends, trust people, love nature. ( )
1 vote KathrynCSN | Nov 16, 2011 |
Although I recognize the brilliance of this story and Swift's creativity, I must say that 'Gulliver's Travels' can be a dull, tedious, even annoying book to read. It's much more fun analyzing and discussing this book than it is reading it in the first place. Ho hum. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jul 7, 2010 |

Jonathan Swiftprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mossa, R.G.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This entry is for books that contain Gulliver's first 2 voyages only, but aren't retellings or abridgements.
Please note that the Signet Classics edition contains the first 2 voyages only as well! Please don't combine with the complete work!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451522192, Mass Market Paperback)

On two voyages, an Englishman becomes shipwrecked in a land where people are six inches high, and stranded in a land of giants.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible