Saint Mazie by Jami Attenberg

Saint Mazie (2015)

by Jami Attenberg

Their Finest Hour and a Half by Lissa Evans (charl08)
    charl08: Quality 20c historical fiction with humour and strong women characters.

English (28)  Italian (1)  All languages (29)
I loved how well this was written.

Mazie was a real person but this story was fiction. The author gave Mazie a real voice and a real background.
We don't know much about the actual Mazie.
We know that she had a theatre and that she helped countless homeless people in her lifetime. She started out in life as a partied and became Saint like to those she helped. This is all pretty amazing and it took place during the early teens and through the 1930s.

The author creates Mazie's background through a diary. The diary is found many years after she is gone. It tells the story of her life from around age ten to the end of her life.
It showed her as an occasionally flawed person but who always tried to put others first. She made many selfless decisions to help her sister and the homeless.

I want to point out that I normally don't enjoy a story where this much time passes. It normally feels too sad to see a character go from childhood to the end of their life. I appreciate closure in a story but that's usually a bit too much closure for me.
I'm mentioning that to point out that I really enjoyed this story despite it being quite different from what I'd normally look for.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This was a disappointment, and I stopped reading about halfway through (my father has terminal cancer and I'm acutely aware of the limited time we all have ... I should undoubtedly have stopped sooner!)

Basically this didn't grab me, and it continued to not grab me until it was very easy to walk away from. The main character has no especially redeeming qualities (she doesn't seem especially kind, smart, interesting, brave, unusual, etc.), reminding me of other self-deluded heroines such as that wretchedly superior forensic scientists Kay Scarpetta in Patricia Cornwell's novels, or Rue McClanahan in My First Five Husbands and the Ones Who Got Away, the autobiography of Rue McClanahan. And, like in those books, neither the character nor author seem aware that she's actually somewhat dreadful.

For an epistolary novel there is very little evidence that some speakers/writers are different from the other characters who speak/write their thoughts. There is no plot to speak of, though occasionally there are events. Mazie is apparently a real person, or based on a real person, who became beloved due to her philanthropy, I supposed, but midway through the novel there's very little of that. So all I'm left with is the diary of complaints from an unpleasant main character who spends most of her time stamping her foot, wishing she could sleep with more men, and worrying her family (who seem like nice people).

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Saint Mazie was based on Mazie Phillips-Gordon's diary entries. I was pleasantly surprised since I enjoy epistolary formats. Mazie thought she was bad, but did so much good. An interesting & independent woman who was ahead of her time. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
Good story of lady that really lived in the poor area of NYC in the early 1900s and how she lived and tried to help many of the street people ( )
  Barbaralois | Feb 17, 2018 |
I liked this book. Not fantastic, but quite readable with a reasonable level of depth in its exploration of life in early 20th century New York city. Attenberg's creative format for telling of a story based on a real person worked well for me. I quickly learned to manage the multiple person and time perspectives, despite my age and mental inadequacies. One thing which troubled me a little was that I couldn't really understand why the sisters each took off on such different but committed paths, and why one of them seemed to slip into a prolonged mental illness. I guess we readers are not reading a psychologist's case notes, we're reading a story about a person and their 'observed' behaviour. And much of human behaviour is inevitably a mystery. ( )
  oldblack | Jan 10, 2018 |
Fannie brought one of her fancy friends down to the theater last night.

"Meet Mazie Phillips: big-hearted and bawdy, she's the truth-telling proprietress of The Venice, the famed New York City movie theater. It's the Jazz Age, with romance and booze aplenty--even when Prohibition kicks in--and Mazie never turns down a night on the town. But her high spirits mask a childhood rooted in poverty, and her diary, always close at hand, holds her dearest secrets. When the Great Depression hits, Mazie's life is on the brink of transformation. Addicts and bums roam the Bowery; homelessness is rampant. If Mazie won't help them, then who? When she opens the doors of The Venice to those in need, this ticket-taking, fun-time girl becomes the beating heart of the Lower East Side, and in defining one neighborhood helps define the city. Then, more than ninety years after Mazie began her diary, it's discovered by a documentarian in search of a good story. Who was Mazie Phillips, really? A chorus of voices from the past and present fill in some of the mysterious blanks of her adventurous life. Inspired by the life of a woman who was profiled in Joseph Mitchell's classic Up in the Old Hotel, SAINT MAZIE is infused with Jami Attenberg's signature wit, bravery, and heart. Mazie's rise to "sainthood"--and her irrepressible spirit--is unforgettable"-- "From the New York Times bestselling author of The Middlesteins comes a stunning novel about a Prohibition-era bad girl turned good: Saint Mazie, Queen of the Bowery"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,666,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible