Woman King, Second Edition (Dark Horse…

Woman King, Second Edition (Dark Horse Trilogy ) (Volume 1)

by Evette Davis

Book One of the 'Dark Horse Trilogy', Woman King, is key to following the progression of a powerful, San Francisco-based blend of supernatural influences and P.I. investigation, and tells of an empath who spends her life blocking her abilities - until she meets an ancient time-walker who reveals that a demon has been stalking her.

But if you're expecting the usual genre read that blends fantasy into a supernatural investigation, you'll be disappointed. Woman King is, in fact, a superior production that focuses on political consultant Olivia Shepherd's psyche and her process of adjusting not just to her special abilities, but to a new awareness of supernatural forces in the world. There's a spiritual purpose to the story line that has placed her on a certain trajectory; so readers who want shallow entertainment with predictable characterization should look elsewhere.

Olivia's story is for those who look for depth and psychology in their story lines, who take pleasure in explicit details that leave little to wonder, and who will follow the progression of Olivia's world with an appreciation for the little things that make up that world.

If this is perceived as slowing the plot progression somewhat, that's only because in a nonstop staccato world of thriller action, Woman King takes its time to build its story and protagonist. And that's not a bad attribute.

There are a lot of loose ends to Woman King's conclusion; but the fact that readers have been duly forewarned that this is part of a trilogy makes these loose ends just more of an invitation to read on. ( )
  DDonovan | Apr 20, 2015 |
This book has an intriguing cast of characters - witches, fairies, time walkers, demons, and vampires. It's also well written. Unfortunately, it fell flat for me in some areas.

Olivia comes from a family of humans with special powers, but she chose to ignore them until something happens in her life that forces her to get in touch with her gifts. I was never clear on how she managed to ignore these powers until she reached her thirties. Her character sometimes came across as childish and willful, to the point where I expected a full blown tantrum. Other times she was far too naive and easily led, not questioning things or following through on conversations.

The other characters were a fun mix, though I never truly felt their powers. I wanted to see what they were capable of, beyond a bit of demonic mind control.

One oddity that stood out for me came with the point of view. This book is almost entirely written in first person, from Olivia's perspective. This works well for the story. But two short chapters, both coming toward the end, are written from William's point of view, in third person. Because they came so late, and because there are only two short chapters, these felt out of place and unnecessary.

The plot is straight forward and moves along at a good pace. There are some issues here though. First, the content is very liberal politically, and perhaps a bit insulting to Republicans. I had no real problems with this myself, but this book would be offensive to anyone with strong conservative political beliefs. The big problem for me was that the story had no real ending. I know this is the first in a trilogy but, for me, each book needs to have closure and this one does not.

Overall, this is a good first book with the potential to become a great series. ( )
  Darcia | Jan 5, 2015 |

Nobody who works with superstar political consultant Olivia Shepherd knows that she has supernatural empathic abilities—and that’s just how she likes it. But when she wakes up one morning to find Elsa, an ancient time-walker, standing in her kitchen, Olivia can no longer ignore her gifts or the mystical path that awaits her. Soon she is plunged into the hidden world of powerful “Others” who operate beneath the dense fog of San Francisco. Drafted to work for the Council, a shadowy organization that controls the fate of humanity, Olivia must decide whether to dedicate herself to its cause. Complicating matters further is Olivia’s new love interest, William, a centuries-old vampire who is far too jaded to take an interest in human affairs. As shocking details from Olivia’s own past emerge and her role in the world begins to take shape, will she rise to the challenge of her destiny?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:13 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,010,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible