Pain as a Starting Point (Living Life 2 the…

Pain as a Starting Point (Living Life 2 the Fullest)

by Kerry Kerr McAvoy

113820,536 (4)None

Just at a time in my life that I needed this, I received an ARC (advanced readers copy) of Pain As A Starting Point by Kerry Kerr McAvoy.

Living with chronic pain on a daily basis and having so much emotional pain in my life, I feel almost like an expert on pain, both physical and emotional. The best physician I have found is GOD!

The author uses scripture to show the answers to some of life's tough questions. Such as, Where is God while I'm suffering? How do I trust in God through my difficult trials of life? She has done a fabulous job showing where God is through all of our struggles and how to find him. With daily devotionals. Questions to make you think. Optional reading of Bible verses to go along with each section. A daily discipline exercise and prayer end each section. Also some great play list for some (new for me) awesome music.

There are so many of the painful heartbreaking burdens that life gives us that I have either experienced personally or have watched family members go through. Through it all, as the book will show, God is there for us if we will turn to him and have faith.

One of my favorite quotes from this book is...
"In that moment, pain becomes a starting point and provides us an opportunity to see our desperate state and our need for God."

I highly recommend this book to everyone, for everyone I know suffers from some kind of pain. This is a book that I will be re-reading from time to time.
I received an ARC (advanced readers copy) of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review rather it be good or bad. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the chance to read and review this book. ( )
  kykim | Jan 24, 2016 |
I received an electronic copy of this book for free from librarything.com giveaway.
Could be that I was not the Target audience of this book or my hopes were set too high, but I expected more psychological analysis from a doctor. Instead there was only talking about the necessity to rely on God without touching the important "why" questions. The title of the book as well really didn't correspond to the content.
Disappointment. ( )
  Nefrotete | Feb 16, 2015 |
First, I got this book as part of a member giveaway on Librarything.

This is the first time I have read a book like this and I really like it. "Pain can act as a starting point in our search for a deeper relationship with God" How true.

The book helps us to explore how we deal with our pain/grief/losses, and the expectation we have from god. It is a workbook type book as well and the questions will encourage the reader to dig deeper.

I would recommend this book and especially to anyone dealing with a difficult situation. ( )
  npl8261 | Dec 26, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0984320547, Paperback)

At some point each of us will be faced with the crushing experience of pain. It may come suddenly and tragically, such as an unexpected death or a loss. Or, it may slowly bleed away the quality of our life.

This study tackles tough questions that result from this kind of pain, such as, Where is God when we suffer? Is psychological wholeness God's desire? and How do we trust God when life is difficult?

This four-week long devotional takes an honest look at the effect of pain on our lives. It encourages readers to challenge their most basic assumptions about God and urges them to look at the quality of their relationship with him. In addition to daily devotionals, psychological questions, spiritual discipline exercises, and worship suggestions, this study encourages readers to strengthen their faith in God and their reliance on him, no matter the circumstances.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:53 -0400)

Kerry Kerr McAvoy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Kerry McAvoy

An edition of this book was published by Kerry McAvoy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible