The Year My Mother Came Back by Alice Eve…

The Year My Mother Came Back

by Alice Eve Cohen

Ms. Cohen is a talented author, but I did not enjoy this memoir as much as her former one, which was outstanding. ( )
  Annesq | Feb 13, 2017 |
Beautifully written memoir about a mother and daughter. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
While this moving memoir speaks quite explicitly to the mother/daughter dynamic, it also speaks to any close relationship where one of the people is gone. I generally don't like to give much detail away in a review, not to mention that many other reviews lay out the general events that form the heart of this work. What I would prefer to do is explain where this wonderful book took me while I was lost in the pages. This will be similar to what many others have experienced and, to a considerably smaller degree gives an idea of how this memoir works, and make no mistake, this memoir absolutely works.

My father passed away from cancer while I was in college, insisting I not put my education on hold. I went through the usual grief-like emotions upon getting the call from my mother he had died. For weeks, maybe months, I thought I grieved, and I guess I did but not nearly the way I did several years later. When I found myself in a situation that would always have made me call and talk to my father, I picked up the phone and called. It wasn't until my mother answered that I remembered he was not there any longer. While that hit me hard, and triggered what I took to be the true grief, it was the aftermath of that call that stayed with me to this day. My father did indeed help me through my difficult period. He spoke to me in my mind, through my dreams and walked me through it. In other words, he had so instilled how he thought and how he had always helped that I could "hear" him giving me advice and asking questions I would not likely have asked myself as myself.

Cohen's memoir has potentially traumatic situations through which her mother helps her, and is told in a tender yet strong manner sorely lacking in my little paragraph. But the result is the same, those we love, especially when the bond is a close one (even in spite of sometimes growing apart), will always be nearby ready to help when we are ready to accept that help. I am glad I read this book and especially thankful to have had those memories of mine rekindled.

Reviewed from an ARC made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Jul 2, 2015 |
What a beautifully written memoir about a horribly difficult year in this woman's life. With a breast cancer diagnosis for herself, a terribly painful leg-lengthening process for her 8-year-old daughter, and the experience of connecting with the birth mother of her eldest college-aged daughter, Alive Eve Cohen definitely did not have an uneventful year. I often forgot that this was a true story, reading more like an exciting piece of fiction. So happy I received this book through the LibraryThing Member Giveaway program. ( )
  mandersj73 | May 15, 2015 |
In this candid memoir about a difficult year in the author’s life, she comes to terms with her relationship with her mother and events from her childhood. Through conversations with her mother, we learn of her mom’s own battle with cancer, its secrecy and shame, her unhappiness at being the stay-at-home mom expected of her in those days, and her unfulfilled dreams.

A complex and ultimately heartfelt memoir about being a mother, being a daughter, and reconciling the circumstances of our past.

Audio production: The author performs the narration and beautifully brings her story—and her mother—to life. The book was a pleasure to listen to and, at only six hours long, I finished it in one day. An excellent choice over print, especially for listeners new to the format or those that don’t usually choose audio. ( )
  UnderMyAppleTree | May 5, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Alice Eve Cohen's book The Year My Mother Came Back was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible