Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and…

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances

by Neil Gaiman

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    sturlington: A short story in Trigger Warning is an homage to Ray Bradbury.

English (131)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (133)
Trigger Warning is a collection of short stories and some poems by Neil Gaiman. What I like with collections like this one is that they usually have something for us all. Not everything is to one's liking, but if you are lucky most are. And, Trigger Warning is mostly in my opinion a very good collection of stories. Of course, some are better than the others and I think personally I liked the ones that were a bit longer. The "bad" thing with collections like this is they are sometimes hard to put down because it so easy to just say to yourself "just one more story" they are short. And, then you happen to stumble over a Doctor Who story that isn't that short, but you have to read it because it is Doctor Who, even despite the fact that is an 11 Doctor story (Long story short, not my favorite Doctor).

Anyway, instead of writing about every story in this collection will I mention some of my favorites like:

The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains, one of the longest stories in this book and a very intriguing to read.

Orange, the kind of story that grows on you. I found questionnaire format of the story odd in the beginning, but then I started to like it.

The Case of Death and Honey, a Sherlock Holmes story, I have read it before in another collection, but I read it again since it was a while ago. One of the best Sherlock Holmes short stories I have ever read and I have a feeling I like it even better than the first time I read it.

Jerusalem, what I enjoyed with this story was that I had no idea that Jerusalem Syndrome was a thing and I really enjoyed the wonderful twist in the story. Would I dare travel to Jerusalem in the future?

Click-Clack the Rattlebag, the only story in this collection that actually was a bit scary. I mean I wasn't scared when I read it but reading this when you are alone in a house and hearing sounds in the attic would probably not be that nice.

"And Weep, Like Alexander", oh that ending, marvelous! A charming and funny story.

Nothing O´Clock, the Doctor Who story and as I wrote above not my favorite Doctor but Gaiman can write stories so good that I enjoyed this one despite that. And last but not the least,

The Sleeper and the Spindle, for some reason I thought the title was the Sleeper and the Spider. I think sometimes your mind plays tricks on you. Anyway, Spindle makes much more sense and I liked this once upon a time story very much.

There are several other good stories, but these are some that I appreciated.

Thanks to William Morrow and Edelweiss for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While Neil Gaiman is widely known for his comic book writing and novels, Gaiman's story telling skills are often at their best in his short fiction. Offering up everything from poetry to fairy tale re-tellings, Trigger Warning continues the grand tradition of his previous short story collections. This is a set of tales to pick up and spend a few moments with, to stretch out and enjoy over time, and revisit again and again. ( )
  midnightbex | Oct 16, 2017 |
The folks over at Harper Collins kindly sent me an ARC of Neil Gaiman’s Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances back in January of 2015 and look how long it has taken me to read it.

I liked the introduction by the author and after reading each story, I’d go back and read his comments on each which was a nice touch. I savored each of these stories with a few poems thrown in. What I like about short stories is that there is not too much commitment. You can read one or two a day and feel a little sense of accomplishment at the end of each one.

One of my favorites here was “The Thing About Cassandra”. I can’t really say what it was about without spoiling it, but I found the premise of this one really cool and think it would make for a great full length novel.

Another good one was “The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains”. This one was about revenge. I also really liked “My Last Landlady”, it was a too-short ghost story. This is not my first time reading this author and Gaiman’s writing tends to captivate me.

I found that a common theme in these stories was that things aren’t what they seem to be. If you take the time to look a little closer, you might see things that you hadn’t noticed before.

Overall, Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances is a nice collection of stories with a few poems thrown in. I recommend this one, especially if you enjoy fantasy and don’t mind being scared just a little bit.

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. My free review copy of Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman was from Harper Collins.
https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/2017/09/23/trigger-warning-by-neil-gaiman/ ( )
  bookworm_naida | Sep 23, 2017 |
Overall I enjoyed the stories, some more than others. My favorites being Click clack the rattle bag, and Black Dog. With "the twist" being one of the most common mechanics in storytelling it is sometimes hard to find a story in which the ending is not an obvious one. However in those 2 short stories I can honestly say that I was surprised by the endings. The more I read of Gaiman's work the more in love with it I find myself. ( )
  steven.skytower | Sep 1, 2017 |
I preface this by saying I love Gaimans work. Most of the novels I've read by him I've loved. I did not enjoy this book at all, none of the stories really resonated with me. It seemed like a collection that didn't have any cohesive quality what so ever. The poems are okay, the stories are okay. Maybe I have really high expectations of Gaiman. Not something I would recommend and probably will never read again. The only story that was somewhat memorable has been released as a separate book (the sleeper and the spindle). ( )
  SadieRuin | Aug 21, 2017 |
added by DoctorDebt | editThe Guardian, Edward Docx (Feb 8, 2015)

added by DoctorDebt | editNPR Books, Jason Sheehan (Feb 4, 2015)

I'm not sure how I wound up with an honourable Hollywood agent who reads books for pleasure but I did, eighteen years ago. He's still my agent, still honourable, and he still likes short stories best of all. This book of tales is for Jon Levin.
There are things that upset us.

Contains the following short stories/poems:
Making a Chair
A Lunar Labyrinth
The Thing About Cassandra
Down to a Sunless Sea
'The Truth is a Cave in the Black Montains ...'
My Last Landlady
The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury
Jerusalem
Click-Clack the Rattlebag
An Invocation of Incuriosity
'And Weep, Like Alexander'
Nothing O'Clock
The Sleeper and the Spindle
Witch Work
In Relig Odhráin
Black Dog

Also contains an interview with the author in Extra Material in the appendix.
Reader, proceed with
caution: monsters prowl this book.
Read at your own risk.
(passion4reading)

Multiple award winning, #1 New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman returns to dazzle, captivate, haunt, and entertain with this third collection of short fiction following Smoke and Mirrors and Fragile Things—which includes a never-before published American Gods story, “Black Dog,” written exclusively for this volume.

In this new anthology, Neil Gaiman pierces the veil of reality to reveal the enigmatic, shadowy world that lies beneath. Trigger Warning includes previously published pieces of short fiction—stories, verse, and a very special Doctor Who story that was written for the fiftieth anniversary of the beloved series in 2013—as well “Black Dog,” a new tale that revisits the world of American Gods, exclusive to this collection.

Trigger Warning explores the masks we all wear and the people we are beneath them to reveal our vulnerabilities and our truest selves. Here is a rich cornucopia of horror and ghosts stories, science fiction and fairy tales, fabulism and poetry that explore the realm of experience and emotion. In Adventure Story—a thematic companion to The Ocean at the End of the Lane—Gaiman ponders death and the way people take their stories with them when they die. His social media experience A Calendar of Tales are short takes inspired by replies to fan tweets about the months of the year—stories of pirates and the March winds, an igloo made of books, and a Mother’s Day card that portends disturbances in the universe. Gaiman offers his own ingenious spin on Sherlock Holmes in his award-nominated mystery tale The Case of Death and Honey. And Click-Clack the Rattlebag explains the creaks and clatter we hear when we’re all alone in the darkness.

A sophisticated writer whose creative genius is unparalleled, Gaiman entrances with his literary alchemy, transporting us deep into the realm of imagination, where the fantastical becomes real and the everyday incandescent. Full of wonder and terror, surprises and amusements, Trigger Warning is a treasury of delights that engage the mind, stir the heart, and shake the soul from one of the most unique and popular literary artists of our day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:19 -0400)

This third collection of short fiction by Gaiman includes previously published pieces of short fiction -- stories, verse, and a very special Doctor Who story that was written for the fiftieth anniversary of the beloved series in 2013 -- as well "Black Dog," a new tale that revisits the world of American Gods.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Neil Gaiman's book Trigger Warning was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,362,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible