Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words by…

Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words

by Karen Leggett Abouraya

Summary: A story of Malala Yousafzai, a young Pakistani girl who stands up and speaks out for every child’s right to education. When the Taliban came to power in the Swat Valley, they thought girls should not be educated nor should they go to school. Her father was the principal of the school and encouraged Malala to tell the story, in which she did through her blogs and voiced her opinions on the right to education for all children. She won the Pakistan’s first National Youth Award for Peace in 2011. In 2012 Malala and two of her classmates were shot by a Taliban gunman, she survived the attack and it gave her more strength to resolve the issues she was fighting for. She spoke at the U.N. on her 16th birthday nine months after being shot. People around the world are hearing her advocacy and dream for everyone’s rights to education. And Malala began a fund called Malala Fund to give girls hope for a better life and provides girls in the Swat Valley access to education. In 2013 she was awarded by the European Parliament the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought for her courage in defending the right of all children to be educated.

Personal Response: This book is a nicely written biography of the life of Malala Yousafzai, the girl who fought for the right for children to have an education. The story is touching with wonderful illustrations that capture the text. It is a very influential book that can be easily understood by children.

Curriculum Connections: This book can be used in a PreK-2nd grade Social Studies classroom when teaching about influential people, the events that are happening throughout the world and the rights people are fighting for. It can also teach children about the importance of education, what other children are enduring and how we can help better our world. ( )
  ftakahashi | Mar 4, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I was reading through it. As an adult I have read the actual Malala book and similarly to Iqbal I was shocked at how well the language in this book still was able to portray the message that was coming across but in an approriate way for children. The illustrations were sharp and helped add a sense of familiarity to children who may be unaware of a life such as Malala's. Though it is a children's book, the characters are all portrayed to be very real. There are many parallels to the Malala novel just in a more kid friendly sense. I think that this book can help children be more aware of the world around them in a fun and educational way. The language and illustrations convey a powerful message in an engaging way. I think this book is approriate for both children and adults to read and will leave both with a sense of satisfaction and interest. ( )
  mcicch2 | Dec 7, 2015 |
This is the picture book to share the incredible bravery of Malala Yousafzai and her courage that almost cost her her life and the story behind her Noble Peace Prize. " We have some people who are afraid of ghosts and some people who are afraid of spiders, and in Swat we are afraid of humans like us."
  emaloney5 | Jun 9, 2015 |
Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words by Karen Leggett Abourayais a true story of Malala Yousafzai. After surviving an attack by the Taliban. On her 16th birthday, Malala spoke at the United Nations advocating for every child's right to an education. This book is written for young children and is an informative depiction of how change can be brought about by just one person and those who support her.

I found this read to be inspiring. I was inspired by her story and the fact that she, one young girl can affect such an outcry and be a catalyst for change.

For extenders in a fifth or sixth grade classroom: We would discuss other cultures and their views that they have on education. We would also create a chart with contemporary issues that young people face today and ways to advocate for change. Considering Malala is from Pakistan an interesting story extender could be to explore the culture and traditions of that country. Some of the children may also chose to write Malala and express their support. ( )
  imamarie | Oct 25, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible