Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

Finding Audrey (2015)

by Sophie Kinsella

Recently added byErina39, private library, STRIVEPrepKepner, Awaldman, amoening

English (34)  Italian (1)  All (35)
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
4.5 stars.

I've enjoyed Kinsella's adult fiction for a while--her books are well-written, frothy, funny, enjoyable reads. I was a little nervous about a YA book, because sometimes adult fic authors kind of suck at writing for kids.

Kinsella doesn't suck. In fact, I think this book is deeper and MORE than most of her adult books.

Audrey, traumatized by an unspecified (which was a BRILLIANT choice) bullying event, is slowly recovering at home. Suffering from extreme anxiety and depression, Audrey is only comfortable in her own space with her own people.

As she is challenged by her therapist and a new friend, Audrey deals with her tormentors and her own self as she slowly makes her way back into the world.

Frankly, I wish I had read this book as a young adult so that I would have had a clue what was happeneing to me when I fell into my own pit of anxiety and depression. Kinsella writes Audrey as strong, but hurting; damaged, but not broken, and so very real. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
As someone who has severe social anxiety as well, with an Incident that triggered it, this book was very very relatable for me. It didn't get too dark, which is nice, and it gives me hope.

The romance between Audrey and Linus was really cute. The family dynamics were also very relatable. Audrey's mom is practically mind when it comes to technology. I enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
I actually finished this book a few days ago but I have still been trying to process my thoughts on this book. The book was great, don't get me wrong. It's just that is was SO great that is the problem. Lol

I don't know what took me so long to read this. I remember seeing it around in a lot of stores and in the library and I always glanced at it but never picked it up. This time, I couldn't help myself and I am glad I got it because, oh my gosh, Finding Audrey is freaking amazing!

I want to say the problem I had with the book is that whatever happened to her wasn't addressed. The reader doesn't know what happened to her so it makes it kinda hard to connect with her. All we know is something REALLY BAD happened and everyone has to tiptoe to not trigger her. But as someone with severe anxiety, I get why it was written that way. I understand how damaging and dangerous it can be. But on the other hand, I feel like someone who doesn't have anxiety or depression won't understand it so it would be harder for them to connect with her.
I'm really hoping that makes sense. Lol

At some points, I hated all the characters except Frank. On the other hand, I loved them all. Because to me, they all represented some form of mental illness. Though I doubt the author meant for them to be that, that is just how I see them. OCD, Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, Bi-polar.... the works. Lol
And they weren't really ashamed of it. They were just "that" family. And I loved that.

Mental illness is such a sensitive subject. There is so much stigma. So it's always like a breath of fresh air when you read a book that hits the nail on the head that shows it's real. That is does happen. But it's also something you can work with and manage and overcome.

I really loved the ending of this book. I really hope everyone that reads it, finishes it. Because I admit there were times when I wanted to put it down for a while. (Mainly because of the mom and checked out dad) but i literally couldn't put it down. I needed to know how it would end. And the ending did not disappoint. This has got to be one of the most happiest endings I have ever read. Ever.

I would recommend this book.

***IN ADDITION***
(possible spoilers, be warned)

Because I know I will get some hate somewhere that she got "better" because of a "boy" and I would just like to say that is only part true. Here is my thought on it.
After what happened to her, I wouldn't doubt she has trust issues with girls. Even with her best friend. I think if Linus had been a girl, Audrey would still be in her din with her glasses on.

Linus was the key to helping her get better. Because her family and therapist couldn't. She said it herself that they were her safe place. So of course they wouldn't push her and if they did, she could easily ignore them or walk away.

At first I despised Linus. Because of all the things he said. I couldn't help but to hate him. But the more he came around, he helped set goals for her and she never had to do them alone. He also made them fun to do. He showed her "I can do it, you can too." and I think that is important to someone with anxiety. And if things went wrong, he helped. And by that, I do mean what he did in Starbucks. that was really awesome of him to do.

That's just my thought on it though. ( )
  FearStreetZombie | Oct 26, 2017 |
For a heartwarming story on how a certain 'push' can help you past your obstacles in life, it isn't a bad read. But onto the review.

Plot: Audrey basically gets better when she starts to connect and form a relationship with Linus, her brother Frank's friend. Now, I've never had the disorders Audrey has (SAD, anxiety disorder, etc), but Kinsella does seem to romanticize the illnesses and make it out to be - 'with love, there's always a way'. Audrey does get better on her own, but with Linus's urging and help. But the rushed teen romance makes the focus less on her getting better/her disorder and more on the love that could have easily also been written into romance. Also, I know the point of the story was for Audrey to move past her problems that happened in her former school and focus on the future, but she alludes so much to said issue and never fully states what happens. It leaves readers curious as to what happened. Gonna assume it was bullying, but we'll never really know. On the upside, though, it had it's lighthearted moments, when Audrey and Linus go to Starbucks and the park and dare each other to talk to strangers. The family dynamic shift to something more intimate and loving was great to read as well.

Characters: Audrey, okay. Linus, okay. Audrey's dad, okay. Frank, okay. Audrey's mom... I'm gonna need to explain her, but as much as I found the irony of her getting into her son's game LOC in the end amusing, she was a little bit crazy/over-the-top. Sometimes annoying. Especially with Frank's video game obsession. But hey, it brought the family together, somehow.

Flow of story: If getting over a mental illness can be seen as something magical and quick, then this book went at an alarmingly fast pace. (I finished this in 2-3 hours). No, mental illness treatment is probably a lot slower and much less romantic. It felt rushed in the fact that it took a month or two, story wise.

Overall: It had a nice happy ending, with a lot of lessons learned - Focus on the future, not the past. If it isn't important to your life, you don't have to give it a notice at all. Life has its ups and downs, and all that. It's meaningful and a quick read, but don't expect the laws of realism to apply wholeheartedly.

3.5/5 stars ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
To all my children, who in their different ways, have helped inspire this book.
OMG, Mum's gone insane.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Shopaholic series comes a terrific blend of comedy, romance, and psychological recovery in a contemporary YA novel sure to inspire and entertain.

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Audrey is making slow but steady progress dealing with her anxiety disorder when Linus comes into the picture and her recovery gains momentum.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,474,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible