Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

Finding Audrey (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Sophie Kinsella (Author)

Member:gogglemiss
Title:Finding Audrey
Authors:Sophie Kinsella (Author)
Info:Doubleday Childrens (2015), 288 pages
Collections:2019, Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:modern fiction, family, mental illness, bullying, young adult, lol

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella (2015)

English (41)  Italian (1)  All languages (42)
This was a really well-written book. It had a great story. It gave an honest and insightful account of anxiety, a charming romance, a wacky family, and a good dash of humour. And on a stylistic level, the writing was very polished- it also had these little screen-play type things throughout that were a nice creative touch.

I did only give it four stars out of five- I think it was missing just that little bit of spark, poetry, depth needed to make it perfect (just for further clarity, my standard of "perfect" for this genre/style of writing would be Fangirl/The Fault in Our Stars, which is of course highly subjective).

Overall, a lovely book, which I strongly recommend.
  Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |
This might be my new favorite Kinsella novel. I think she dealt with anxiety disorders, therapy and family dynamics with humor and honesty. I will be recommending this book to everyone. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
I picked this book up yesterday for a Group Book of the Month read and did not stop until I finished it. It is a YA book, but adults will enjoy it as well. Audrey is a 14 year old girl who has a severe Anxiety Disorder. It came to a head when she was badly bullied by a group of girls at her school (This is the back story, not detailed in this book). She has been home schooled for the rest of the year, going to a therapist and living in a slightly dysfunctional family. Her mother has taken a leave from work to be home with her and is clearly not a stay at home mom. She has latched on to the fact that her oldest son seems to be addicted to computer games and has gone just a little crazy with trying to get him to give them up. Audrey, on the other hand, is getting better. She meets Linus, a gamer friend of her brothers, and is finally able to speak to someone outside her therapist and family. This is a kind and gentle story of the process of healing, dealing with family, friends and the outside world. It also talks about life in general as being two steps forward and one step back. A very enjoyable and enlightening book. I think this should be a book that is read in High School English Classes. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
YES. This was great. Sophie Kinsella is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. She always manages to blend just the right amount of humor with the right amount of sincerity and as a result her stories are hard to put down and her characters are so, so relatable. Audrey was no exception- even though she is only 14. As a person who lives with an anxiety disorder I really appreciate Kinsella's depiction of Audrey's condition and recovery. This was funny, sweet, genuine, and had those awesome themes of friendship, family, and self-discovery that keep you coming back to YA fiction. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
View full review

● i have a physical copy
○ read an e-version, will definitely purchase physical book
○ read an e-version, a physical book will be appreciated
○ read an e-version, not interested in its physical book
● a page-turner
● less than 500 pages
● diverse in any way
○ something’s lacking
○ took me a long time to finish
● an LMAO read
● i laughed more than a few times
○ it’s j u s t awkward
○ gave me goosebumps
● one of the best books i’ve read
● painful & sad (considering Audrey, yes)
○ tear-jerker
○ a roller-coaster of emotions
○ thrilling
○ confusing
○ sooo relatable
○ it is kind of annoying
○ it has a lot of flashbacks
● it moved me
● would recommend!
● great even for a reread
● definitely a YAY
○ i’m sorry it’s a NAY
○ it’s between YAY and NAY

P L U S

I’m so bad at this. I don’t know what to say! The book already spoke for itself, speaking for it may ruin what it really has. It’s such a great read. I certainly did not expect to like this one cause I’m not a fan of “This Guy Helped Me Heal” thing but I loved it because Audrey also helped herself. Did that spoil anyone? Oops. AND Audrey’s mother is so, I don’t know, very suspiciously controlly motherly. Does that make any sense? It should. She’s really that. I’m not needing any prequel or sequel from this book. I just need a little explanation. Or is it like that, leave readers hanging and not telling what made Audrey like that? I feel cheated. Anyway, with or without the explanation, I love how uplifting this book is. Recommended to those recovering from anything. ( )
  Mervilyn | Sep 2, 2018 |
To all my children, who in their different ways, have helped inspire this book.
OMG, Mum's gone insane.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Shopaholic series comes a terrific blend of comedy, romance, and psychological recovery in a contemporary YA novel sure to inspire and entertain.

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Audrey is making slow but steady progress dealing with her anxiety disorder when Linus comes into the picture and her recovery gains momentum.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,450,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible