The Bargain by Aaron D. Gansky

Author: Aaron Gansky
Pages: 284
Year: 2013
Publisher: Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas
Connor Reedly is a reporter for a news magazine, who has been sent to various parts of the world to report on the human condition. His stories inspire hope in his readers. Too bad he doesn’t have much hope of his own. His wife is dying from ovarian cancer at a young age. She has an incredibly strong faith in God, but Connor refuses to believe. She longs for Connor to accept Jesus as his Savior, but knows that is something she can’t do for him; he must do so of his own choice. She asks to make the trip from Denver, Colorado to Hailey, California to visit her sister who still lives in the small town where they grew up. They arrive in Hailey and Connor is told by a town resident that if he writes ten articles about ten of the town’s residents in eight days, showing their goodness or righteousness, then his wife will be cured of her cancer. If he doesn’t write the articles, his wife will die and the town will be destroyed. Connor doesn’t believe this, but his wife encourages him to undertake the project. All Connor wants to do is spend time with his wife during her last days, but he will do anything to please his wife. He accepts the job and interviews his first subject.
This story was very interesting and kept me entertained from beginning to end. The story is filled with tension, drama and great descriptions of the town and surrounding scenery. The characters are real with real strengths and weaknesses. Some of the characters are not what they first appear to be. Each one has a story to tell. I found this a fascinating study of the complexities of some of the small town’s residents. The main character, Connor Reedly, a reporter, undertakes the assignment of his life though he won’t realize it at its inception. My preference would have been to see more repentance verbalized by some of the characters in the story. The premise of the story is very original and intriguing, and I look forward to reading more books from this author.
My rating is 4.5 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Feb 15, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,524,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible