Common Ground by Justin Trudeau

Common Ground

by Justin Trudeau

A very sincere, passionate account incorporating both Justin's childhood, life with & without his father, and his future vision for Canada. It's a easy read, not necessarily name dropping little know political acolytes but rich in praise with Canada's youth, middle class & multicultural aspects. Less a manifesto and more a statement of intent, one can see the passion & sincerity behind his leadership bid. Interesting, involving & intriguing, I want to know & see more. Of interest to those who like Canadian politics but also what direction the country is heading I now. ( )
  aadyer | Aug 20, 2017 |
Common Ground

A well-written book that gives the reader an insight into the thought process and background of the Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau.

One of the many ideas that I share with our Prime Minister is the value of an informed public in the decision making process. While some in other parties win elections when citizens are misinformed and disengaged from the political process, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the modern Canadian Liberal party have shown us that a well-informed, literate and intelligent population is something to cherish rather than be afraid of.

While I do not agree with every single idea the Prime Minister has put forward, I do agree with his core values and almost all of his policy positions and beliefs. Furthermore, the shift in attitude and spirit from that of the previous federal government is so great that, fortunately for Canadians, Justin Trudeau has genuinely earned the right to be our Prime Minister.

Just as his father’s election victory of 1968 brought in a new era of politics so has Justin Trudeau’s election victory of 2015 marked the end of a negative chapter in Canada’s political history and the start of a more hopeful future for all of us. In his first year, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has done more good than the previous government did in a decade. This is one of the many reasons why I am proud of not only Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party of Canada, but also to be a Canadian.

The Prime Minister also gives us a glimpse into his family life. The story about how he lost his brother Michel is one that I can personally relate to. It's never easy to lose a loved one, often because we never get a chance to properly say goodbye. When people are yanked out of our lives suddenly, it is a difficult situation to deal with. I hope that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is at peace with what happened to his brother, and I'm positive Michel is proud of what his older brother has accomplished.

Have a great day Prime Minister, I really enjoyed your book. ( )
  robinjchase | Oct 29, 2016 |
Though he wasn’t yet Prime Minister at the time this book was written, it should be essential reading for all Canadians to understand the man who is now the leader of our country. The memoir is both personal and political. Trudeau shares his experience as “Maple 3” the son of former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and Margaret Trudeau, meeting his wife Sophie, the birth of their three children and the loss of his father and brother. The book also explores the genesis of his political career and the hard-fought battles that brought him to the leadership of the Liberal party. Throughout the book you get a clear picture of Trudeau’s passion for Canada and the Canadian people. You can see the development of his open-minded centrist approach, his collaborative work style, and the events that cemented his position as a federalist. ( )
  Lindsay_W | Jul 17, 2016 |
I've never been much of a one for memoirs; this is the first political memoir I've ever read that wasn't required reading for a history course. But something about getting citizenship 5 weeks before the election in Canada, and spending the months beforehand studying for my citizenship test, plunging myself into Canadian history and politics triggered some sort of political engagement switch in my brain.

During the campaign I went to local candidate forums, watched them online, I watched the televised national candidate forums, and avidly followed the reactions in social media and newspapers. But I come from an odd place, where unlike other Canadians, I don't have decades worth of 'this happened in the past' steering my judgment - I'm somewhat aware of the past, but I don't have the emotional response to it that others do. Particularly in Alberta, the strong response that can be evoked by the Trudeau name is fascinating (they don't like him).

I now find myself for the first time in my adult life having a prime minister and cabinet who seem to represent a lot of my core values. Not all of their policy is perfect. But the direction and intent pleases me greatly.

This book does a great job of sharing easy-reading stories to reveal how Justin Trudeau's political outlook and values were shaped. And I will admit I basically cried with joy at some points (reading his opinions on negative attack ads, how important it is to respect an opponent even as you disagree, of rejecting divisive politics and embracing diversity). There's nothing quite like the feeling that the country you've chosen to make your home may actually want you to be there. And so I give this book 4 stars, not because it's a brilliant book with brilliant writing that everyone will enjoy, but because it fills me with optimism, and the desire to become a better person, and do more to help my community and improve the world.

(I think the only thing I don't like is the cover photo, which I found so disconcerting I took to leaving the book face down) (Sorry for the long and rambling review, but apparently I have a lot of feelings right now!) ( )
  evilmoose | Nov 9, 2015 |
This sincere and frank autobiography is a good introduction to someone who grew up with parents on the front pages. His honesty and down-to-earth understanding of Canada as well as his dedication to family is impressive. As son of the former Prime Minister of Canada, the Trudeau family is well-known, mostly to older Canadians, but it must also be remembered that much of the news reported by the press of the day ranged from conjecture to scandal-mongering. Now that Justin Trudeau is leader of the Liberal Party of Canada it is worthwhile to get an accurate picture of him and the new generation. The first half of the book speaks about growing up and his family; the second half mostly describes his entry into politics, the process, and his views for Canada. It is tempting to compare him to his father, and while there are many similarities, the young Trudeau is different in many ways, with modern attitudes and opinions. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | May 2, 2015 |
Dedicate to mt best friend, partner, and soulmate.  Thank you for all you do, and for all you are.  Je t'aime, Sophie.
In the kitchen and family room of our home in Ottawa, there are photos wherever you look.

Justin Trudeau's candid memoir will reveal to its readers the experiences that have shaped him over the course of his life and show how his passion for Canada and its people took root. Covering the years from his childhood at 24 Sussex to his McGill days during the tumultuous time of the Charlottetown Accord to his first campaign in Papineau to his role as Liberal leader today, the book will capture the foundational moments that have formed the man we have come to know and informed his vision for the future of Canada. Filled with anecdotes, personal reflections, and never-before-seen photographs from his own collection, Mr. Trudeau's memoir will show how the events of his life have led him to this moment and prepared him for the future.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible