Moone Boy: The Blunder Years by Chris O'Dowd

Moone Boy: The Blunder Years (2014)

by Chris O'Dowd, Nick V. Murphy

Martin Moone is a 12-year-old boy in the west of Ireland, the youngest of four and the only son. He decides he needs some male companionship in his life, so naturally he decides to get himself an imaginary friend. Hijinks ensue as the first friend proves unsuitable and Martin decides to adopt a second... but a realsie can have only one imaginary friend at a time! What to do?

This was an enjoyable book but somewhat difficult for me to pin down a rating. In the end I settled for four stars, because the actual story was a lot of fun. It is somewhat of a prequel to the television series Moone Boy and then overlaps with events of the first few episodes in Series 1. The text is also liberally sprinkled with footnotes to explain certain concepts or make silly jokes. The footnotes could be hit or miss for me, perhaps because this is intended for a much younger audience. I'm not sure how well it would work for a person who hasn't heard of Moone Boy, so I'd recommend it more to established fans of the show (and would recommend that those who haven't seen it get a copy and start watching!). ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 6, 2016 |
Martin Moone is besieged with sisters and bullies; he needs a wingman for the summer. His best friend has to help his father on the farm, but he suggests to Martin getting an imaginary friend. Following an exact set of instructions, Martin ends up with Loopy Lou, a rather irritating oaf. When the Imaginary Friend customer rep. shows up to survey Martin on his choice, they both realize immediately that he (Sean Murphy) is a much better choice and they spend the rest of the summer trying to dodge Loopy Lou, along with the sisters and the bullies. This novel is a comedy of errors, similar to Diary of a Wimpy kid, but with some references better suited for a more mature age. However, it is a quick read that should engage reluctant readers. Grades 7-8. ( )
  sgrame | Dec 17, 2015 |

Chris O'Dowdprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murphy, Nick V.main authorall editionsconfirmed
To all my nieces and nephews and godchildren whose birthdays I always forget. This book is for you. Happy birthday. And to President Obama. He knows why. Chris
To my three-year-old son, Leo,who insists I'm thefunniest person he's ever met. May you never meet another person. Nick
Good afternoon, reader.

"Martin Moone is eleven and completely fed up with being the only boy in a family of girls. He's desperate for a decent wingman to help him navigate his idiotic life. So when best mate Padraic suggests Martin get an imaginary friend--or "IF" for short--he decides to give it a go"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible